Quot's Sex Pistols Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quot's Sex Pistols Thread

Because I don't know of a better thread to put this in...

Alright, this is just one more reason why I occasionally love the internet more than life itelf (KIDDING...maybe):

Today I stumbled across a clip of the most memorable show I ever went to: the infamous Sex Pistols concert at Randy's Rodeo in San Antonio, Texas, on January 8, 1978. Word has it that their then-"manager", Malcolm McLaren, booked them venues on their first and only American tour in what he perceived to be hostile environments in order to further establish their notoriety. I was right up against the stage (although you don't see me in this clip, which was filmed from a vantage point a little ways behind me. It was there that I met and rubbed elbows with Annie Leibowitz, who was doing a photo shoot for Rolling Stone magazine (she gave me her faux "punk" safety pin as a memento). There definitely was a hostile element to the crowd, as shown in the beer bottles and garbage thrown on-stage at the band. It was an incredible experience, and I got a lot of great photos too. What helped create the infamy of this particular concert was at the end of this YouTube clip when one of the audience members became confrontational toward Sid Vicious, who responded by smacking the audience with his bass guitar! (I read that the blow glanced off the shoulder of one of their roadies who was trying to hold the crowd back, which was lucky for Sid, 'cause he could have seriously killed the guy. The instigator was tossed out of the concert, but is briefly interviewed at the end of this clip (and yes, you can clearly see Sid making every effort to crack this guy's head wide open with his guitar).

The neat thing about discovering this clip today (apart from bringing back all kinds of memories) was scouring the interwebs to see if I could find a picture of the incident with Sid. To my amazement there wasn't a single one to be found.

There's only one picture that I've ever seen of the infamous scene of Sid going upside somebody's head with his bass guitar.

And it's the one I took.

Although the "victim" is obscured by some guy in a hat, Sid and his guitar-as-weapon are clearly shown (you can also see how close I was to the action):

Quot
    Bark! Go away
    Last edited by Quot; 05-29-2015, 11:11 PM.

That's fucking awesome.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hey Ian, I met one of my best friends at that concert (I think we were the first two in line). A little after noon, the bus rolled in and we went around back to meet and greet and get autographs. They opened their windows, and I handed pen and paper to Johnny. He handed it back, and there it was, "Johnny Rotten" (I still have it). My friend gave Sid a pen and paper, and he signed it and handed it back.

My friend looked at it and a big grin spread over his face. It said "Fuck you".

:)

Quot
      Bark! Go away
      Last edited by Quot; 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quot View Post
        Hey Ian, I met one of my best friends at that concert (I think we were the first two in line). A little after noon, the bus rolled in and we went around back to meet and greet and get autographs. They opened their windows, and I handed pen and paper to Johnny. He handed it back, and there it was, "Johnny Rotten" (I still have it). My friend gave Sid a pen and paper, and he signed it and handed it back.

My friend looked at it and a big grin spread over his face. It said "Fuck you".

:)
        Yeah, incredible story and picture, Quot! Anyone reading this needs to go back to the previous page pronto and check that shit out. This really deserves its own thread and not to get buried in this one.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Cool. i have lots more pictures and paraphenailia.

Comment

Andrew's right, this gets its own thread. Feel free to post as much memorabilia and what not as you like Quot!
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. Holy shit.

Comment

Ok, I'm kinda embarrassed about these next two photos.

When the doors to Randy's opened and we rushed the stage, we found ourselves elbow to elbow with Charles Young (who wrote the story that appeared in Rolling Stone #259 (February 23, 1978)) and Annie Leibowitz, who was doing the photo shoot.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...texas-19780223

So there was some time to kill while we were waiting for the Pistols to come out. Both Charles and Annie very very nice, and as we were waiting, we were cutting up and having fun. I wasn't familiar with Charles' work, but even back then I knew who Ms. Leibowitz was.

And there I was, a 23 year old -- nerd, I guess -- a little in awe of the company with which I found myself surrounded. I asked Annie if I could take a picture of her and Charles. She said, "Sure". There I was, a little nervous, getting ready to take her picture, and I hear:

"You might want to take that lens cap off first"

I wish I could have fallen through the floor. But, ever the pro, she was gracious and understanding. And I'll never forget that. I hate that their photos turned out so crappy.

I gotta step out for a bit, but when I get back, I'll post some of the concert pics (and they're much better, quality-wise).

Comment

it's so cool you were apart of such a notorious tour!
                  A truly great moment in Rock History.
                  Koukol
                  Last edited by Koukol; 06-15-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

One thing I'll never forget about that concert was the atmosphere. Randy's Rodeo was a small venue, it was the dead of winter, and folks just needed a release. I would say about 40% were curiosity seekers and another 40% were real hell-raisers looking to piss off the band (they succeeded), with the final 20% being actual fans of the band and/or movement. And, with the admission only $3.50 a pop, the place sold out and filled up in no time.

I don't think the band nor the crowd really knew what to expect but it didn't take long for for each entity to feed off the other's energy. The Sex Pistols would gladly bait the crowd into a frenzy of mutual hatred, and the crowd was happy to give it right back. Folks like myself were loving the show and feeling fortunate that the scene never turned into the riotous event that it had threatened to become. I will say this: I remember it seeming as if they barely got off the stage in the nick of time. I was amazed that the concert actually finished without some type of police presence. It was awesome. There was no encore.

Here are a few photos I took (this batch is a little out of focus). These have never been published anywhere before. I guess that makes them a Rock!Shock!Pop! exclusive.

I'm saving the best photos for last. Plus some more odds 'n ends. Stay tuned. :)

Comment

Goddam. Jones with a p90 les paul

Comment

How long was the set?
                        I read that a lot of shows had only a few songs.
                        Could Sid actually play the bass?
                        It's not him on BOLLOCKS.
                        Koukol
                        Last edited by Koukol; 06-15-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koukol View Post
                          How long was the set?
                          I read that a lot of shows had only a few songs.
                          Could Sid actually play the bass?
                          It's not him on BOLLOCKS.

I gotta say while NY is one of their best songs it p*sses me off dissing one of the creators of Punk Rock (NY DOLLS)
                          This was their set list:

God Save the Queen
                          I Wanna Be Me
                          Seventeen
                          New York
                          E.M.I.
                          Holidays in the Sun
                          Bodies
                          Belsen Was a Gas
                          Submission
                          No Feelings
                          Problems
                          Pretty Vacant
                          Anarchy in the U.K.

I'm guessing that their set lasted between 60-75 minutes. I know it didn't exceed that.

Sid playing bass? Debatable. You've read the stories. What can I possibly add?

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Quot. If you're on Facebook, there's a pistols photo group that's pretty great as well.

Comment

Again Quot, these are great. Thanks for sharing them here.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X