Afterlife With Archie / Sabrina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afterlife With Archie / Sabrina

So I grabbed the 1st issue of Sabrina and the Afterlife With Archie trade over the weekend - half way through the trade, this is GREAT stuff. Francovilla's art is moody and fantastic and the story is played straight enough that in spots it's actually a little creepy. I haven't read Sabrina yet but will shortly, flipped through it though and was surprised to see that it actually looks quite a bit darker than Afterlife even, theyr'e going for a sort of Rosemary's Baby vibe with this book it seems.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I loved Afterlife With Archie and can't wait for the next run of issues. We know all the characters so it was just jump right in and don't worry about boring old character buildup. It was cool seeing the gang as NOT drawn cartoonish and in a different light (dark). I will check out Sabrina now that you mention it. Francavilla do that book too?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
      I loved Afterlife With Archie and can't wait for the next run of issues. We know all the characters so it was just jump right in and don't worry about boring old character buildup. It was cool seeing the gang as NOT drawn cartoonish and in a different light (dark). I will check out Sabrina now that you mention it. Francavilla do that book too?
      He did not but the art in it is good. He did do the variant cover for it though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n6r2pqpFQQ1ssmbizo1_500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	347098
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I got Sabrina Wednesday, haven't read it yet though. The art is definitely similar in style to Francavilla's, though not quite as good obviously.

Afterlife With Archie is so good. I love that it's done totally serious. That book was a massive seller, Archie Comics' biggest by far.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Sounds cool!

Comment

One thing I really dug was Dilton Doily. I love how they handled him.

I don't recall Professor Flutesnoot being in it. Coach Kleats is.

Comment

Sabrina #1 sold out.

Finished the Afterlife With Archie trade last night and thought it was consistently well done. Now to hunt down #6 and pick up #7.

Name:	awarchie7.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	347106

Name:	awarchie7var.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	347107
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And here's the cover art for #8 and the upcoming first 2 issues of Afterlife With Archie Magazine (which appears to just be reprints with a few extras tossed in).

Name:	awarchie8.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	347110

Name:	awarchie8var.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	347111

Name:	awamag1.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	347108

Name:	awamag2.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	347109
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And the covers for the next 2 issues of Sabrina. Dig that Creepshow variant.

Name:	sabrina21.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	347112

Name:	sabrina3var1.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	347113

Name:	sabrina31.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	347114
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Does the TPB contain the 70s b&w horror story from some uncovered collection of unpublished stuff? Those are awesome, and are at the end of the issues.

Comment

Hmmm... nope. It has some unfinished pages and a cover gallery but now B&W horror story.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I like that Afterlife has a few pages of exclusive content in the single issues, that sort of thing (as Brubaker does in most of his creator-owned work) gives you a reason to get them and not wait for the trade.

Read Sabrina, liked it quite a bit. This one has a reprint of Sabrina's first appearance after the main story.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

That's what I was trying to spit out.

Comment

Man. Finished issue 4. The Vegas story had me tearing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                              Man. Finished issue 4. The Vegas story had me tearing up.
                              Same here. I am 5 issues in and hooked now.

Comment

Working...
                              X