No announcement yet.

Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jesus Franco Volume 1: 1959-1974

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, have pity on those of us who paid full price (though I did spring for the limited edition because I wanted the extra book that came with it).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks to Dom for the heads-up on this, I snagged a copy for $14.99. It arrived yesterday, what a gorgeous looking book! Incredible deal too.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I had a dip into volume 2 over the last couple days. The research and work on this is just incredible. It's a mammoth effort and you've got to applaud the persevearance. Plus the book is beautiful.

I do find it a slog again though. It's hard to see the forest for the trees with this. I feel like tackling each film individually kind of loses the point of Franco. As Tim Lucas says, you haven't seen one Franco film until you've seen them all. Individually the films are rarely that interesting. There are exceptions but generally they only become really interesting when looked at as part of a body of work. Do really minor films need 5000 words written about them? I guess you could argue that they do but for me slogging through a couple thousand words on the minutiae of the distribution of a film that no one's seen is work.

Still they look gorgeous on the shelf and I'm pleased to own them.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          I had a dip into volume 2 over the last couple days. The research and work on this is just incredible. It's a mammoth effort and you've got to applaud the persevearance. Plus the book is beautiful.

I do find it a slog again though. It's hard to see the forest for the trees with this. I feel like tackling each film individually kind of loses the point of Franco. As Tim Lucas says, you haven't seen one Franco film until you've seen them all. Individually the films are rarely that interesting. There are exceptions but generally they only become really interesting when looked at as part of a body of work. Do really minor films need 5000 words written about them? I guess you could argue that they do but for me slogging through a couple thousand words on the minutiae of the distribution of a film that no one's seen is work.

Still they look gorgeous on the shelf and I'm pleased to own them.
          I'm with you on both points. It's a beautiful looking set of books and I'm extremely happy to have both editions on my shelf but I have to go through it in small spurts, one or two films at a time. I can't sit down and plow through these volumes the way that I can other books. And that's not a slight against Thrower's writing at all, he's a great writer and his work here is excellent.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's up to $23 now, still cheap though.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From the new Strange Attractor email:

"A quick note to everyone who has ordered the revised edition of Stephen Thrower and Julian Grainger's Murderous Passions.

The team at State 51 are currently carefully packaging the books and special edition items - which are large and rather heavy! - and preparing them for courier delivery to their new homes.

The first copies have already left the building, with others following today and early next week.

Thanks for your patience, and we know that these spectacular books are well worth the wait!"
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mine is apparently en route.
                https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                  Revised and expanded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23409[/ATTACH]

http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe...vised-edition/
                  I waited and now they show "Out of Stock". Anyone know if it's permanently OOS?

Comment

Remaining stock of the redo of Murderous Passions is in at the warehouse an ready to ship.

https://strangeattractor.greedbag.co...s-new-edition/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

My copy arrived today.

Comment

Strange Attractor is doing a revised reprint of Murderous Passions, pre-order page is up here:

https://strangeattractor.greedbag.co...revised-editi/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

First volume is going back into print.

https://strangeattractor.greedbag.co...reprint-update
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            First volume is going back into print.

https://strangeattractor.greedbag.co...reprint-update
                            Hopefully this doesn't go OOP before August as that is when I'm most likely to be able to buy it. Will be good to finally get the first part as the 2nd part has been sitting unopened on a shelf since I took it out of the parcel (earlier this year) I was sent years ago.

Comment

Love both of these books and Nightmare USA. The book that collects Thrower's Eurohorror zine Eyeball is also a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X