Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jesus Franco Volume 1: 1959-1974

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of

Sometimes when I see the book it has the incredibly generic Romay cover and sometimes it has the more elegant one of the spider woman lying on the ground. Not that it really matters I suppose but how do you know which one you are going to get?
    As far as i can work out the version with the Diabolikal Dr. Z cover is the limited edition (300 copies) version with bonus 7" single available from Strange Attractor, the Lina Romay version is the cheaper standard one (that's the one that I got from Amazon)
    Gav M
    Last edited by Gav M; 07-03-2015, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gav M View Post
      As far as i can work out the version with the Diabolikal Dr. Z cover is the limited edition (300 copies) version with bonus 7" single available from Strange Attractor, the Lina Romay version is the cheaper standard one (that's the one that I got from Amazon)
      That's exactly it. The signed and numbered edition has an imbossed image on the book itself and has a different dust sleeve to the "Romay" imaged version that's available on Amazon etc. The signed and numbered is only available from Strange attractor, or I guess Stephen himself.

Comment

Just received my limited edition copy... it's beautiful! The 7" will ship out in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Received mine today too. Its a thing of Beauty

Comment

So what's the best bet for getting a copy at this point in the US, the alternate UK sellers listed @ Amazon?
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

John, I think best bet would be source at strangeattractor.co.uk

Comment

Man oh man, our copy just arrived from the UK yesterday. What a beautiful looking book. Very sturdy, great paper stock and picture reproduction, just a gorgeous piece. I don't know what I'm going to have time to read it yet, but I'll find the time I guess. Can't wait to dive into it and it looks like it was worth every penny.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's awesome, isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
                    It's awesome, isn't it.
                    This with vol. 2 will be the only books on Franco people should get. Meticulous and well researched. Pale's in comparison to other books on Uncle Jess. In fact I gave away my Obsession:the films of Jess Franco book to my friend. I heard Stephen will release AMERICAN USA vol. 2 early 2016, then Vol. 2 of Murderous Passions Aug 2016.

Comment

Received my copy the other day. It's a pretty intimidating tome at first glance, particularly when you consider that there's a volume 2 to come. It's a handsome beast though and a lot of fun just to flick through the pages.

But I'm struggling to get into it. I'm not sure the format is the best way to tackle Franco. As Thrower himself says in the introduction it's always more interesting to examine Franco's films as a whole rather than as individual pieces. Reviewing each one seperately rather than following the currents is the opposite to how I'd prefer to see it tackled. The method means there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way placing Franco in context with what was going on in Spain and around the world with other filmmakers. No artist is an island and that goes doubly for filmmakers. It's also just a bit studious for me. Thrower is often raising intellectual concepts, discussing them and then tossing them aside as he admits Franco probably just wanted to show us some tits. I generally agree with the conclusion and so don't see a lot of need for the discussion. But others mileage may vary obviously.

Still, it's an awesome effort and looking forward to number 2 already.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Nice interview with Thrower here. He teases the second volume a bit as well as a second volume of Nightmare USA and what to expect from the upcoming revised edition of the Fulci book.
                        LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Thanks, nice interview :)
                          Got off the fence and ordered from the Uk...can't wait to dive in and not sure why I was waiting for Amazon US to begin carrying this.
                          https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

got this book a few days ago and am up through 99 Women. This book is well researched, and I can't imagine a better book on Franco. I can't wait for Volume 2. There are so many Franco films I now want to see that I've not seen. I didn't realize that still many of his 60's films are not even out on DVD or blu ray. I am trying to see all the Franco films I can, I need to pick up the 3 that were issued on blu ray in December still. But it's interesting that Stephen Thrower in his book notes the different variations of the Franco films in different countries. That must have been a chore to track down the different variations. I also picked up Nightmare USA along with the Franco book, going to read it next.

Comment

Got my copy a while ago and loved it, read it in a day or two of obessive reading (binge reading?). Got the Erotic Rites of Frankenstein because of it.

Comment

in a day or 2 you read it!! That is some serious binge reading! It's taking me a while to read. I really wish someone would release the films that are not released. We seem to be getting blu rays of films that have already seen DVD releases for the most part, and that is good, I want those films on Blu ray, and I am buying them, but I also wish that some Franco that has never been released would make its way to blu ray too. I mean it's hard to get really excited about a blu ray release of Eugenie the story of her Journey Into Perversion, I mean it's great it's on blu ray, and I am going to get it soon, but I mean it's got a great DVD release years ago, and it makes me wish some unreleased Franco would have been released first, I mean but I want EVERY Franco film on blu ray haha, so I hope we get there :)

Comment

Working...
                                X