Great Music Biographies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Music Biographies

After finishing Sylvie Simmons' Serge Gainsbourg: A Fistful Of Gitanes, not only did I want to move to France and start smoking but I started thinking about really good music biographies and how I don't have that many of them.

I think I should maybe get The Cramps book and MacGowan's too but those choices are obvious ones for me. Cash's autobiography is good, so is Lemmy's.

What am I missing? I know there are a ton, but I want suggestions.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I don't know how to read so I am no help.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Ginger Baker's recently published autiobio is highly entertaining. Baker is kind of an asshole - but a fun one - and its always great to read a first class crank pull no punches. His feuds with guitarist Jack Bruce and his exploits in Africa (where Baker lived and did business for many years) are particularly entertaining.

Comment

I would highly rectum-end Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend by Tony Fletcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
          I would highly rectum-end Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend by Tony Fletcher.
          It took me a second to make the connection... Moon? What? Oh wait, Keith. I get it. Really high Amazon rating on that one.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Sweat: The story of The Fleshtones is exceptionally well-detailed and forthright chronicling the decades-long story of one of America's greatest bands.
            It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

WAYLON by Waylon Jennings. I don't even really like Waylon Jennings, but the book was fantastic. I can't remember the name of it, but i liked the George Jones autobiography as well.

Oh shit, you said biographies. Sorry.

Comment

Autobiographies are good too. I've read the Waylon one, good suggestion there.

I didn't even know there was a Fleshtones book.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Have you even gone to see the mighty Fleshtones yet? They rarely tour the States but are this Spring/Summer. You're kind of in their backyard now and they never, ever disappoint. Ever.
                  It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

They're no Viletones

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
                      Fantastic book - almost TOO detailed. But it really captures the sad and lonely side of Moon as well the "wild man" persona.

Comment

Yeah, Don't Worry Baby and In My Room by The Beach Boys mean a lot more to me now.

Comment

I got the ANVIL autobiography for Christmas but haven't read it yet. I can't imagine there's much in there that the movie didn't touch on, but it's such a moving story, that I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway.

Comment

I quite liked the Bob Dylan book 'Wanted Man: In Search of Bob Dylan' by John Bauldie and the Lou Reed and Keith Richards ones by Victor Bockris, but most of them are really dull and more often than not written by weirdoes who idolise these people and often have never met them, which ultimately makes them fucken bullshit.

The best biographies I often find are when they have perspectives from different people who knew or worked with the artist with some some from the artist themselves, then you get a more 'rounded' perspective of the artists 'persona/personality'.
                            Last edited by Goldberg; 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X