Alan Moore & Brian Bolland's The Killing Joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Moore & Brian Bolland's The Killing Joke

This is kind of interesting... (and kind of NSFW)

It seems that the original line art for The Killing Joke that Bolland drew was 'revised' before it went to print, to take some of the sexual angle out of what happened to Barbara Gordon in the comic.

The center panel is the main change but yeah, I can see why, when this was originally published why DC might take issue with it.

At any rate, I thought it was interesting that one of the more twisted Batman stories was originally intended to be even more twisted than it turned out.

I still have a 1st printing in a box somewhere. I re-bought it in HC format when it was released that way too.

I remember after it came out and got reprinted a zillion times and proved to be a hit that half the guys at my school were wandering around with this t-shirt...

Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	363855
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I was hoping it would reveal if Batman killed the Joker at the end or not but a nice discovery nonetheless.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Did you pick up the recent-ish reissue which featured the colouring that Moore and Bolland supposedly originally intended for the book, Ian?

http://io9.com/372026/killing-withou...d-batman-comic
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I'm not at home so I can't double check, but I"m 99% sure the hardcover I have has the revised coloring (which is probably why I still have the original sitting in a box).
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You know? I'd actually like to see a re-color of Watchmen. I know it's blasphemous but the look of those 80's comics don't do anything for me. A big reason why I never tried to read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
            You know? I'd actually like to see a re-color of Watchmen. I know it's blasphemous but the look of those 80's comics don't do anything for me.
            I pretty much feel the same way, even though I was raised on those things. However, Moore's SWAMP THING is very, very good.

The recoloured KILLING JOKE has a much more noir-ish aesthetic. I like it a heck of a lot.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I got into comics around the early 90's. That look -especially popular in Image comics- is what I'm most used to. A lot of the artwork was terrible now that you look at it but the stuff by Sam Kieth and Mcfarlane hold up really well I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                You know? I'd actually like to see a re-color of Watchmen. I know it's blasphemous but the look of those 80's comics don't do anything for me. A big reason why I never tried to read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.
                They did do a re-color of Watchmen. They updated the coloring for the Absolute edition and an updated regular hardcover and trade eventually followed. It retains the same aesthetics, but looks less shitty.

Comment

I'll have to check it out.

Comment

I didn't realize Watchman had been recolored either. I only have the individual issues, never got a trade.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Not a fan of the recolored KILLING JOKE. It's too, blah. The original has great intense color. And I always figured the Batman strangled the Joker at the end. Not so much killed him, but at least choked the shit out of him.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Working...
                      X