Updated HAUNTED WORLD OF MARIO BAVA by Troy Howarth due in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated HAUNTED WORLD OF MARIO BAVA by Troy Howarth due in 2014

Hope this is ok with Ian but I'm helping get the word out that Troy Howarth's long OOP book on Bava is getting a new edition from publishers Midnight Marquee in 2014.

This will be a substantial upgrade on the earlier edition with new content and fresh interviews. You can keep track of future updates on Troy's dedicated Facebook page and I'll be around here and other forums to answer any questions if you can't get in contact with Troy. This will be an approximately 200 page book with an MSRP in the $25 range with seasonal and promotional discounts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-H...57391387737585

http://www.midmar.com/

Yup, fine with me.

MM will have their work cut out though, FAB does such an amazing job with design and presentation.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll probably pick this one up.
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Hopefully Troy will edit those tediously overlong film synopses. They may have had some use when Bava's films were hard to come by but now they are just filler. Depending on what the new content pans out to be, the reasonable price for this updated edition may get me to bite since I sold off the first edition long ago.

Comment

Good news for Troy and fans of Bava, and at a reasonable price, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
            Hopefully Troy will edit those tediously overlong film synopses. They may have had some use when Bava's films were hard to come by but now they are just filler. Depending on what the new content pans out to be, the reasonable price for this updated edition may get me to bite since I sold off the first edition long ago.
            The synopses were imposed by the publisher because they felt at that time that the films were so obscure that they were needed.

The new edition will have almost none.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
              The synopses were imposed by the publisher because they felt at that time that the films were so obscure that they were needed.

The new edition will have almost none.
              Very good to hear.

Comment

Very cool. I have never managed to find a copy in a price range I was comfortable to pay, so I am definitely picking the new one up.

Comment

Just curious, as a...well, not really a real Bava fan, but...how does this compare/compete with the Tim Lucas book, and what do fans think of the two offerings? Not saying that there's not room for both, of course, just wondering. I know that Troy is a very thorough writer and really gets into the stuff that he's passionate about, and I know that people referred to the Lucas book as definitive....just curious, as I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                    Just curious, as a...well, not really a real Bava fan, but...how does this compare/compete with the Tim Lucas book, and what do fans think of the two offerings? Not saying that there's not room for both, of course, just wondering. I know that Troy is a very thorough writer and really gets into the stuff that he's passionate about, and I know that people referred to the Lucas book as definitive....just curious, as I said.
                    It's just a different perspective from a different writer. There are also fresh interviews with people involved in the films. I read a lot of books on Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone and I've never considered one "definitive". This is also a $25 dollar book compared to the other titles much higher price. It's in a completely different market on that level.

Comment

Thanks, Horace. I have about 7,000 books on Pink Floyd, and I'm the same way...different parts of different books are more interesting than others, but there is no definitive work.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                        This is also a $25 dollar book compared to the other titles much higher price. It's in a completely different market on that level.
                        But Lucus' book is available in digital form now and enhanced with video. It will also offer free content updates. So if you don't need a physical copy, the price issue is moot.

Comment

^Oops. Forgot to mention the digital price = $30.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                            ^Oops. Forgot to mention the digital price = $30.
                            You'd also be shocked at the number of people who refuse to buy or read digital books - I've run into more than a few here. So in terms of physical media and hard copies - the two are in distinctly different categories. And the other title is only available for iOS at this point.

But the larger point is that one book doesn't really have anything to do with the other. I'm confident the market can support two books on Mario Bava with different perspectives.

Let me put it this way - I own Martin Grams Jr's THE TWILIGHT ZONE UNLOCKING THE DOOR TO A TELEVISION CLASSIC which is close to 1000 pages and Marc Scott Zicree's 200 page TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION and find great value in both. And that's just 2 of the over 10 TZ related books I own.

Comment

I am a firm supporter of physical media - books and magazines - but Lucas' book is one case where the eBook would be preferable. You risk a hernia holding that behemoth in your lap.
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                              X