Updated HAUNTED WORLD OF MARIO BAVA by Troy Howarth due in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    I'm confident the market can support two books on Mario Bava with different perspectives.
    I also prefer physical media, but digital offers some unique benefits including live updates, sound and video samples as well as easier search functionality. But yeah, there is definitely room for more than one book on the subject.

Comment

I'm a huge supporter of digital books - for comics and graphic novels I actually find it superior to hard copies in terms of image quality on the iPad.

But a fair amount of people don't own digital readers or want to read a whole book on a computer or phone screen.

Comment

I wish Lucas would release a stripped down version of his book that focuses just on the main films he directed. I do love his book but there's a lot of it that I tend to gloss over, all the Sword and Sandal flicks that he contributed to, most of them I have no real interest in and will probably never see. (Although I do love ERIK THE CONQUER and HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD)

But at times it seems like if Bava even stepped one foot on a set it's whole production history is included in the book. In that regard it's great as an overall history of Italian cinema at that time but if you just want to get to Bava's meat and potatoes then there is a lot of mostaccioli to wade through.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
          But a fair amount of people don't own digital readers or want to read a whole book on a computer or phone screen.
          The problem with the Lucas Bava brick is that you need to install a bloody stone altar somewhere in your house to lay the massive thing on in order to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            I wish Lucas would release a stripped down version of his book that focuses just on the main films he directed. I do love his book but there's a lot of it that I tend to gloss over, all the Sword and Sandal flicks that he contributed to, most of them I have no real interest in and will probably never see. (Although I do love ERIK THE CONQUER and HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD)

But at times it seems like if Bava even stepped one foot on a set it's whole production history is included in the book. In that regard it's great as an overall history of Italian cinema at that time but if you just want to get to Bava's meat and potatoes then there is a lot of mostaccioli to wade through.
            I agree with your point. At the risk of being blunt, that's one of the benefits of having an editor and one of the drawbacks of self-publishing. I'm all for labors of love and wanting to be "definitive" by stuffing everything you know in the text, but sometimes too much is just... too much.

Comment

It's not for the casual reader, that's for sure. I consider Bava to be one of my favorite directors, if not THE favorite. But there's huge swaths of it that completely disinterest me. Beautiful book, it's a boutique piece of pop art unto itself. But if it's not for me, as someone who loves the films of Mario Bava, than who IS it for?

It's girth (physical and content) makes it nearly impenetrable. And Tim spelled my middle name wrong in "thanks" and the cover is ugly.

Comment

And Tim spelled my middle name wrong in "thanks"
                Do you spell "Cuddlycakes" with an "e" before the "y"? I would think that would be an acceptable mistake. :emily:

Comment

Yeah but he spelt it "Cuttlecakes". What the helk, Tim?!

Comment

It's not for the casual reader, that's for sure. I consider Bava to be one of my favorite directors, if not THE favorite. But there's huge swaths of it that completely disinterest me. Beautiful book, it's a boutique piece of pop art unto itself. But if it's not for me, as someone who loves the films of Mario Bava, than who IS it for?

It's girth (physical and content) makes it nearly impenetrable. And Tim spelled my middle name wrong in "thanks" and the cover is ugly.
                    There's a reason biographies tend to stick to certain conventions.

I just read 2 very good bios - one on Eisenhower that was in the 1000 page range and one on Lee Marvin that was a more typical 200 page range. Neither spent a fraction of time on their subject's childhoods for example. And stuff like hyper-detailed production histories of films with minor involvement from the book's subject could turn into a huge slog.

Comment

Troy has just announced a new Barbara Steele interview for the new edition. He's also running a contest for a free copy of the WHIP AND THE BODY Blu ray on his Haunted World Of Mario Bava Facebook page.

Troy will also be signing copies of the book at the upcoming Monster Bash Convention. Scroll to the bottom of the page for Troy's info.

http://www.monsterbashnews.com/bashdealers.html
                      Horace Cordier
                      Last edited by Horace Cordier; 12-04-2013, 11:24 PM.

Comment

In the breathless style of Herr Jane!

From Troy Howarth and Midnight Media...

Press release!

I am proud to announce that my book will premiere at THE MONSTER BASH and I look forward to the "meet and greet" and personally autographing the hot-off-the-presses first copies of my book. This will be perhaps the book event of the year and I am anxious to meet all the Mario Bava and Euro Horror fans attending the show. Please stop by the table, if even to chat. And if you decide to purchase a book, all the better. I will be selling the book for $35, which is $5 off the cover price... an autograph will be provided upon request, free of charge. I look forward to meeting some of you there - and those who can't come, feel free to order through MIDNIGHT MARQUEE PRESS | BOOKS It will also eventually be available on Amazon and its affiliates, as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

You might want to link the Monster Bash page too (even if it is an eye sore).

http://www.monsterbashnews.com/bashOctober.html
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

More...

"The Haunted World of Mario Bava will be available June 10th. You can order a copy through Midnight Marquee Press directly for $35... or if you are planning to attend the Monster Bash in Mars, PA on the weekend of June 20th, you can buy one from me directly there. The order link is now live at the Midnight Marquee website... that is www.midmar.com Please note that the cover price increased to $45 due to the added expense of color, etc - but never fear, you will be able to get it at a cheaper rate through the website. European customers, please note: more affordable shipping rates will be available when the book is available for order on Amazon; I will make note of this when the time comes. Any of my European friends who are anxious to order and are not able to shell out for the overseas shipping, drop me a line and we can discuss some options... I look forward to seeing some of you the weekend of June 20th and anybody who orders, feel free to share pics of your book when it is finally in hand... I hope you all enjoy it!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	984117_658266744254879_7923775771842065916_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	346393
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Got mine!
                              "My mouth is laughing but my mind is not." -Me, I said that.

Comment

Got mine for less than 19 clams on Amazon.com. Going to dive into it tonight!
                                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Working...
                                X