Video Watchdog Goes Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Watchdog Goes Digital

They've gone digital for the first time and the entire contents of the latest issue are available to read here. Make sure you're Flash compatible.

Tim Lucas' blog explains the details, the print version is not being abandoned.

Digital versions or current issues will be free (which explains why there are more ads there than the print version, which is completely understandable). Back issues priced at $3.99.

He's also got a digital version of the Bava book available for $29.99.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Video Watchdog Goes Digital

Looks like I'll finally be reading that Bava book.

Comment

Questions to folks who follow VW:

1) For a donation ($299, I think), you can get all the back issues of the mag digitally. Is it worth it? Also, this would obviously have to be funded for donors to get this deal, right? I'm not familiar with a lot of these projects. I've only donated to one (ADJUST YOUR TRACKING...still haven't heard squat from those guys, and it's funded).

2) Same deal for Lucas' Bava book. It's ridiculously priced after going OOP, and I'd buy the digital version. Worth it?

Comment

I recently came across a handful of back issues I kept and forgot how good it is. I guess how much it's worth will depend on how you value digital media. For the Bava book I think it's definitely worth it. If anything the digital version is more user friendly. 300 bucks is a lot of money but all those back issues are a wealth of content. I'd say if you can afford it then go for it.

Yes, I think it has to be funded to receive your goods, ... I think.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Thanks, Scott. I'm very tempted to get the digital issues. Looking on ebay, there are a ton of great back issues with content I would enjoy reading.

I'm loving how many publishers are going the digital route. While I love actual books, the actual content is the most important thing, IMO. I'm getting to the point where I'm running out of space for a bunch of books. Between my fiancée and I, we have a ton of books. Her library rivals mine, and we're just finding that for us, digital is the way to go. Same with comics. I'd love if more publishers would go this route. It seems they're just dipping their toes into the digital waters right now.

Comment

I dont know...I STILL havent warmed to the idea of digital media as a replacement for the good old fashioned printed matter.....

VIDEO WATCHDOG is a MUST READ though...and if they see that the future is in digital for them I hope they dont stop making the printed version too!

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
              I dont know...I STILL havent warmed to the idea of digital media as a replacement for the good old fashioned printed matter.....

VIDEO WATCHDOG is a MUST READ though...and if they see that the future is in digital for them I hope they dont stop making the printed version too!
              They said they're not going to stop the print edition, but are offering this in addition to that. Like I said, I love the idea, and am just getting the consensus as to whether VW was worth dropping 300 bones for. I'm leaning towards "yes" at this point.

Comment

Oh yes...I would say that VW IS DEFINITELY worth the money.

I used to buy imports of the magazine and they cost an arm and a leg.....but I enjoyed reading them so much, they provided some much info and entertainment...as well as the much needed "re-read" factor that I did indeed spend a great deal of money on them....and didnt regret it one bit!

Comment

Tim Lucas doesn't write fluff. He has a passion for the films he likes and explains his love thoroughly. It's infectious. He's like the Roger Ebert of genre films.

Comment

Tim Lucas reported that his wife, Donna, who any VW reader will know, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly yesterday.

RIP, and my condolences to Tim and his family.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Jesus, must be devastating for him.

She was the backbone of the whole operation.
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

That's terribly sad. Donna was a great human being.
                        Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

So sad to hear this.

Poor Tim must be devastated. (I mean, not that I know him personally, but you only need to read his blog/writing for five minutes to realise how central Donna was to his life.)

I hope he can pull through; wishing him & their family the best.
                          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Back when Tim's gigantic Mario Bava book was published, I had mentioned on the Mobius Home Video Forum that my cat had chewed up the bookmark that had come with the book. A few days later I got a new one in the mail with a note from Donna suggesting that I "keep this one away from the kitty." A super sweet gesture.
                            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Awful news, my heart goes out to Tim. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X