Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Terminator Comic In The Works From Dark Horse

Press release!

In 1984, a cyborg assassin known as the Terminator came back in time from 2029 with one mission: kill Sarah Connor. If it wasn't for a human resistance fighter from the future named Kyle Reese, he would have succeeded. But in a new comic miniseries just announced at New York Comic-Con, the Terminator is return to the 1980s - and humanity doesn't have Kyle Reese, or any back-up, to stop him.

Launching this February from Dark Horse, the six issue series Terminator: Enemy Of My Enemy sees the original T-800 return one year after the events of the originalTerminator with a deadly mission. But unlike that original movie, there's no savior from the future to stop him - or even tell the people of 1985 who or what this gun-toting killer is. Series writer Dan Jolley explains that this series will “recapture some of that fear of the unknown” from the original film, keying in the horror aspects of the science fiction franchise. Joining Jolley to create this series is his Firestorm collaborator Jamal Igle. Fresh off stints on G.I. Joe and DC's Smallville: Season 11 cartoon series, Igle has already designed several new characters for the series - including a new model of Terminator.

For more, Newsarama spoke with Jolley about all-things Terminator, returning to the 1980s, and how the Terminator would fair against his and Igle's last superhero, Firestorm. Igle sent some exclusive art along for the ride.

Newsarama: Dan, what can you tell us about Terminator: Enemy of My Enemy?

Dan Jolley: Terminator: Enemy of My Enemyis a six-issue mini-series that puts the spotlight on three different aspects of the Terminator franchise. First, it's an action story. We get the ball rolling early on, and it just gets faster and faster--each issue I'm trying hard to top myself with how intense the action can get. Second, it revisits one aspect of the original film that I think gets relegated to the background in the sequels: we're playing up the horror element. Y'know, going back and watching the first movie, especially after all the follow-ups, it's easy to forget that initially, Sarah Connor had no idea who or what this juggernaut was that was coming after her.

She was terrified, and we're trying to recapture some of that fear of the unknown. Which leads to the third aspect: Terminator: Enemy of My Enemy is a story in which a Terminator gets sent back to achieve an objective, but this time the Resistance can't send anyone after it. So the humans who encounter the Terminator don't have anyone to provide any exposition; even the people who think they know what's going on don't really know what's going on. I wanted to dig into that dynamic, treating the Terminator like the kind of monster that regular people would see it as.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!
Working...
X