Clear All

• George A. Romero's Empire Of The Dead Coming From Marvel

Courtesy of USA Today of all places...

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	363706

"After invading a rural Pennsylvania farm, the Monroeville Mall and the Florida Everglades, the iconic horror director is taking his zombies to his hometown of New York City for the first time with the Marvel Comics 15-issue miniseries Empire of the Dead, debuting in January.

"I could never afford to shoot there," Romero, 73, says with a laugh.

It's still the major metropolis everybody knows but a few years into its zombie apocalypse. Some things have reverted to a prior state — there are sheep grazing in Central Park's Sheep Meadow. Yet there are strong social and political elements: The mayor is one of the main characters and a female member of the living dead starts to show some real smarts.

There also is a major twist on Romero's horror oeuvre that he'll reveal at New York Comic Con Oct. 10-13.

"It's a comic book, which means we don't have to go out and shoot the stuff," says the Night of the Living Dead filmmaker, who wrote a 300-page Empire screenplay that is being put to page by Marvel and artist Alex Maleev. "You can let your imagination run wild and do pretty much anything you want, assuming it's within the bounds of decency.""

Lots more at the link up top.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh pants!! I got pretty excited then, I thought it was another....of the Dead film. As much as his latter day films have sucked, it was still enough to send me into a surge of excitement. Unfortunately comics just don't float my boat.

Comment

I've pretty much had my limit as far as zombie comics are concerned but I'll give this a shot. Too bad he didn't go indie instead of Marvel.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Forget comics. I just want him to make one last EPIC zombie film, call it Twilight of the Dead as it should be, be up to the standard of the first 3 and be done and then I will be the happiest zombie fan alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
          Forget comics. I just want him to make one last EPIC zombie film, call it Twilight of the Dead as it should be, be up to the standard of the first 3 and be done and then I will be the happiest zombie fan alive.
          This is a wish that many fans have had for many years....

i really thought after all the zombie films that have done well (lately even the zombie-lite WORLD WAR z ) someone might give him a bit more money to make a last big movie...but, alas it seems like one of thse MUDHONEY kinds of stories...where the people who actually START the thing get left behind and almost forgotten....

Comment

Romero has had 3 chances to make one last epic zombie film. Still waiting on that.

COME AT ME BROS!
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
              Romero has had 3 chances to make one last epic zombie film. Still waiting on that.

COME AT ME BROS!
              Not sure that you can count the last TWO of his zombie movies as they were obviously being made for smaller budgets with each one....

DAY OF THE DEAD would have been epic (I think) if he was given the money to make a big APOCALYPSE end-of-the-world type movie....

As regardsz the action of the comics in New York , I think WORLD WAR Z did the zombies-in-a-big-city/ end of the world/ global problem idea ...so not sure where else they can go with it...

Comment

Press release for the panel happening at NYCC this weekend.

“This January, experience the next epic from the Godfather of the Zombie Apocalypse himself - George A. Romero! Marvel is proud to announce Empire of the Dead, an all-new comic series written by George A. Romero with stunning art by Alex Maleev and gorgeous NYC-themed variant covers by Arthur Suydam!

“George A. Romero singlehandedly created the zombie genre that's captured the public imagination for decades,” says Editor In Chief Axel Alonso. “Now, his unique vision for the silver screen comes to life on the comic book page - a chilling rumination on human nature and man's place in the food chain, served with a terrifying twist.”

Welcome to New York City years after the plague has hit. But just because the Big Apple has been quarantined doesn't mean that everyone inside is safe! Flesh-eating zombies roam within the confines of Manhattan…but they're not the only predator that's poised and ready to strike! Who or what is this new menace? All will be revealed when George A. Romero himself comes to New York Comic Con for Saturday's fan-favorite Cup O' Joe panel (4pm in Room 1E)!

Before the panel, George A. Romero will be signing in-person at the Marvel Booth (Booth #1354) from 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.! Don't miss your chance to get an exclusive signed Empire of the Dead mini-poster (while supplies last)!

What happens when the undead invade the city that never sleeps? Find out when Empire of the Dead #1 shambles into a comic shop near you this January!”

GEORGE A. ROMERO EMPIRE OF THE DEAD #1

Written by GEORGE A. ROMERO
                Art by ALEX MALEEV
                Cover by ALEX MALEEV
                Variant Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
                On-Sale This January!
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                  Oh pants!! I got pretty excited then, I thought it was another....of the Dead film. As much as his latter day films have sucked, it was still enough to send me into a surge of excitement. Unfortunately comics just don't float my boat.
                  My thoughts exactly.

Comment

CBR posted a pretty good interview with Romero on this project here.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Not feeling the urge to read this...

Comment

I'm surprised the zombie doesn't have bangs or something ironic on the shirt as George's attempt to connect to the youth of today.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

He could have a WALKING DEAD t-shirt on.

Or Marvel's AGENTS OF SHIELD, that's DOA isn't it?
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Fangoria has an interview with Romero about this project here.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Five page preview is now online here.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X