Xerox Ferox - The Wild World Of The Horror Film Fanzine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xerox Ferox - The Wild World Of The Horror Film Fanzine

This looks very fucking cool. Another killer HeadPress book, wraparound cover art by Stephen R. Bissettte. Coming in Sept....dammit, I want it now...haha Saw this at the CHFB.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Radness. Thanks for the heads up. I still have a few of the zines on the cover!

Comment

Me too! I want this. Sept. seems a long way off, doesn't it?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I can't wait for this to be released. Been on an old mag/fanzine kick lately, reading old copies of Is It Uncut, Shock Xpress and Continental Film Review.

Comment

Here's an official blurb about the contents from the Amazon listing that for some reason isn't on the Headpress site.

"From Famous Monsters of Filmland to Fangoria… and everything in between, Xerox Ferox is much more than a book about monster magazines. It is the first book of its kind to examine the home-grown DIY fanzines that dared to dig deeper than the slick and shiny newsstand mags ever would... or indeed even could. The titles were as lurid as the films that they covered. Gore Gazette. Deep Red. Sleazoid Express. Before message boards, before blogs, before the Internet itself, the fanzine reigned as the chief source of news and information for horror fans worldwide. Often printed on the cheap and sold for the price of postage, madcap mags like Slimetime, The Splatter Times, and Subhuman traveled the globe, creating a thriving network of fans and professionals alike. Xerox Ferox traces the rise of the horror film fanzine, from the Famous Monster-starved kids of the 1960s to the splatter-crazed gorehounds of the Fangoria generation. Featuring in-depth interviews with over fifty writers, editors, and industry pros, Xerox Ferox is the final word on an era that changed the world of fandom forever… Xerox Ferox is the first title to cover the horror film fanzine phenomenon and culture in encyclopedic depth. The book also contains lengthy chapters that deal with the New York zine scene and the hub of its grindhouse activity, Times Square. In many ways, the book works as time capsule of that era-writers and filmmakers including Jimmy McDonough, Bill Landis, Mike McPadden, Steve Puchalski, Roy Frumkes, and Buddy Giovinazzo share their memories of the movie houses of Forty Second Street-and the dangers that were encountered while visiting them. Not limited to New York City, Xerox Ferox also concentrates on the drive-in theaters of the south. Other topics discussed include commercial Super-8 horror films of the 1960s and 1970s, the home video revolution of the 1980s, regional exploitation films, low budget filmmaking, and of course, self publishing, networking, and distribution."

This and the Bleeding Skull book in the same month? September is going to ruke for weird movie counter culture reading.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hell yeah. So many good books on the horizon. Can't wait for this one, Bleeding Skull and Robin's new CS collection and Graphic Thrills!

Comment

Oh man I'm going to be so broke by the end of this year if not earlier. Xerox Ferox, Bleeding Skull, that limited edition GG Allin book that's suppose to come out next month I'll probably get, book on French ye-ye girls by Feral House in October....

Comment

Originally posted by Wally West View Post
                book on French ye-ye girls by Feral House in October....
                Didn't hear about this; will have to check it out. How I do love them Ye-Ye girls!

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
                  Didn't hear about this; will have to check it out. How I do love them Ye-Ye girls!
                  Yes! More info can be found here: http://feralhouse.com/ye-ye/

One mistake I made is that I said October. It's November but excited either way.

Comment

That's a fucking great title...Xerox Ferox. I got rid of my Eccos after I quit my job. Glad I didn't drop all the rest of my mags though since this book will make me want to go back and read them again.
                    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Deep Red used to have ads for zines. Some were awful but some like Children of the Night were cool.

Comment

Not my picture, but this is what it looks like. FAT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1186170_10202092447778435_78593240_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	344052
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wow, cool. And I'll echo Toyboy's statement about the title, totally awesome.

Comment

My pre-order has been in for a while now. I can't wait! This and the Bleeding Skull book are going to make for some great early Fall reading.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Headpress are doing a hardcover version available exclusively from their website here.

£45.00 plus shipping is too steep for me but I bet it's rad.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X