Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange 'Unauthorized' Doctor Who Comic Coming From Andrew Cartnel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange 'Unauthorized' Doctor Who Comic Coming From Andrew Cartnel?

File this one under fan fiction gone... right? Interesting.

"Andrew Cartnel, ex-Script Director of Doctor Who in the Sylvester McCoy years, is planning to continue the series as if it had never been cancelled in unofficial, unapproved comic book stories, specifically what he has referred to as his Masterplan with a Darker Doctor, that the Virgin New Adventures line of official novels had explored."

So a former Who writer is continuing with a character who is basically gone as if he isn't gone and he's doing it without permission of the BBC who own the copyright on said character?

And he's doing it through an Indiegogo campaign?

Weird.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    "Andrew Cartnel, ex-Script Director of Doctor Who in the Sylvester McCoy years, is planning to continue the series as if it had never been cancelled in unofficial, unapproved comic book stories, specifically what he has referred to as his Masterplan with a Darker Doctor, that the Virgin New Adventures line of official novels had explored."
    This is what I don't get about this plan. I know that many of the staff were unhappy with the show's cancellation because there was this big interesting plan for the seventh doctor that they didn't get to work with on screen. But that's why the "New Adventures" book line was created. Now that there have been 61 novels written about the seventh doctor, it seems like that plotline has been well and truly explored now.

I realize that I'm risking revealing the extent of my Doctor Who fandom here, but I have to say that the NA novels are generally really enjoyable. I've only read a handful of them, but they used the format to tell much darker and more complicated stories. Also many of the writers of the 2005 revival got their start writing novels in that line...

Comment

I haven't read any of the novels, I'm a casual Who fan and not a fanatic (though lately that's starting to change a bit, I find myself going back to Who stuff this last year) - I'm more intrigued by how this will be pulled off from a legal standpoint.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
      X