X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Harris is upset with cosplay girls

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/comic...hates-women-co

A few thoughts:

1) Thank you buzzfeed, for telling me what I am reading. I have enough braincells to translate Tony's blatantly clear cosplay girl rant on my own, thank you.

2) Fuck slut-shaming and everyone who takes part in it. It's far more offensive to me than talking slutty, dressing slutty, or being a female with a sex drive (aka "being slutty").

3) Totally disregarding the "slut shaming" aspect of this, I'm not really a fan of this sort of "I was there first" exclusivity thing that comic/music/movie geeks and nerds do. It's very juvenile. It makes me not want be a part of it.

4) That said, I know what is at the genesis of Tony's rant, and it is something that irks me as well: That comic conventions more and more, are not at all about comics or people who read comics. It's a little disheartening as a comic creator and reader to have your trade shows appropriated by other media and forms of entertainment. Do I agree with the way he's lashing out or who he is blaming, or the juvenile way he is blaming them? Hell no, but I understand where his initial frustration came from. Too bad he's too fucking stupid to know where to place it or how to verbalize it.

There is room for everyone at a comic con. I love that the cosplayers are there, the video game fans, the horror fans, the anime kids. Come one, come all. But yeah, I won't lie: When you're at a PACKED comic convention and absolutely no one cares that you're selling this comic you worked on for months or years, and won't even stop to look at it.... you get a little frustrated. It's like "Why are all these hordes of people at a comic con if they don't give a poop about this medium?". I get that.

Discuss.
    www.cinemasewer.com

I would hate slutty women too if they wouldn't have sex with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
      I would hate slutty women too if they wouldn't have sex with me.
      HAHA..this single sentence cuts through to the heart of what Mr Harris is ranting about and his reasons for ranting!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Bougie View Post
        2) Fuck slut-shaming and everyone who takes part in it. It's far more offensive to me than talking slutty, dressing slutty, or being a female with a sex drive (aka "being slutty").
        Agreed. It's a complete double standard and blatantly sexist at that. There's no reason women can't or shouldn't be as into sex as they want to be. In fact, you'd think most guys would prefer this.

4) That said, I know what is at the genesis of Tony's rant, and it is something that irks me as well: That comic conventions more and more, are not at all about comics or people who read comics. Discuss.
        That's a big part of the reason I don't go to cons all that often anymore. I used to go to every comic con I could but over the last ten years they're not really so much comic book conventions as they are mass media conventions. Like you, I don't have a problem with anyone showing up for whatever reason they want to but if I'm going somewhere for comics and comics take a back seat to anime and action figures, I'm less likely to go back to that con.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There is room for everyone at a comic con.
          Except Bronies. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
            Except Bronies. You have to draw a line somewhere.
            What's a "bronie"?

Comment

What's a "cosplay" girl?

Speak English, damnit.
              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay
                Attached Files
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Costume play.

Okay.

I get it.

See, I stopped going to conventions 25 years ago. Terminology changes. And the girls are braver now, more confident, less inhibited, which is definitely a good thing for those of us who enjoy their company.

That cosplayer looks good to me.

Comment

Misdirected anger there. Nothing wrong with big titty girls classin' up a joint. I do hate how it's less about the comics and more about the movies and toys. The small press expos are the place for just comics now.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

The fact slut-shaming exists at ALL anymore is kind of disturbing. As long as everyone is consenting and they're playing it safe, who the hell cares? I think the anti-sex crusaders should be far more ashamed than any woman who has embraced her sexuality, and knows what she wants out of sex.

That said, the more people going to ANY convention is a good thing, it brings in more people, makes more money, and makes the conventions bigger. Yeah, that's not always a good thing (some Horror cons have gotten to be a pain in the ass), but it keeps the cons going. There are going to be obnoxious people at every convention you go to, just like there are obnoxious people everywhere you go in life.

The problem isn't the fans, it's usually the media companies themselves who want every convention they have any hand in to be one huge commercial for EVERY DAMN THING their company is involved in. However, that's the way it's going these days, fan groups aren't isolated, there are TONS of overlap.

Comment

Yes, cosplay is a bad thing. A very bad thing....... :)

Robert W
                        Last edited by Robert W; 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Ah, the lovely Soska twins. They're total sweethearts.

Comment

What bugs me is that Tony Harris doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" (not to mention YOR). I know he's an artist not a writer but still...
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                              Yes, cosplay is a bad thing. A very bad thing....... :)

Yeah, let the ladies express themselves, and welcome them.

We probably won't be allowed to possess them but we can certainly enjoy the display.

Comment

Working...
                              X