Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Ruhl's Futurelux

Get yourself a copy!

The long awaited debut issue of Scott Gerard Ruhl's FUTURELUX! begins with the first serialized installment of DREAMSICLE. A sci-fi fantasy horror tale that follows the life of two girls who become best friends then grow apart as they get older, set amid an ever changing world.

28 pages with cardstock cover, first printing signed & numbered, limited to 200 copies. Adults only please. For kids 16+. Printed in the USA.

https://futureluxuryisburning.square...&category_id=3

Click image for larger version

Name:	scott.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	410430
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh, hey, this is our Scott? Amazing that we have so many talented folks who post here.

Comment

Future [sic] luxury!

There are stickers and posters too...

Comment

Hey, thanks so much guys! I wish I was around more but this is the reason why!
        Last year I ended up having double hernia surgery late in the summer and after a divorce and the pandemic I just felt completely defeated. Not being able to do much for a time but sit I decided to do the one thing I've ignored for so long. Somewhere along the way I convinced myself I didn't want to do comics and I was lying. Since I've started this, (sometime in July), it's completely changed me. I am much happier and less stressed. Watching Matt Allison create his book and find success has been an enormous inspiration for me to commit myself to my own book, and something I'll always be grateful for.

I tabled at my first convention this past weekend, a new one-day comics-only show in Phoenix! It was tons of fun and I can't wait to do more. I don't plan on doing any out of state or multi day show until I have a least another issue out. The second issue should be out in the Fall of this year, I have 5 more pages to pencil then I have 16 pages to ink and color. I still have a day job and unfortunately I'm back in the office several times a week. I'm not sure if it will ever happen but my hope is to eventually transition to my own work fulltime. We'll see but I don't think I'm going to stop now that I started.

The comic is sort of my own anthology art-comic. The kind of one-man show anything goes type thing that Chris Ware, Dan Clowes and Paul Pope do, but I'm nowhere near as good as them. The first story DREAMSICLE will take about 6-7 issues to complete, I have a follow up story already planned for issues 8+. Each issue after issue 2 will take about a year to complete and I plan on doing a Kickstarter of some sort for the eventual collected editions. In the meantime I'd like to keep the single issues in print so when (if?) this first run sells out I will immediately do a second print run. With each new issue I will also be releasing a new wave of prints, stickers, and eventually apparel.

I have a small ad in issue #3 of Santos Sisters, a wonderfully funny humor book in the style of Dan DeCarlo's Archie work. I've also sent out review copies to the Kayfabe boys and The Comics Journal. Really hoping to gain steam somewhere and I also genuinely think these folks will like it. The only store that has it in stock right now is Ash Ave Comics in Tempe but I'm going to try and get it in a few other shops across the country if possible. If anyone knows of any that would be a good fit I'm all ears!

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Try getting in touch with Midtown Comics in NYC, they carry a lot of indies and they have a lot of customers.

Also probably worth reaching out to Everyone Comics in Queens and Anyone Comics in Brooklyn (same owner), very indie friendly shops.

Desert Island Comics in Brooklyn might be a good fit as well.

Also, definitely get in touch with The Beguiling in Toronto and Floating World Comics in Portland, they both pride themselves on being indie friendly shops!

The previews you've posted on IG look great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Glad you were able to turn a tough time into something creatively fulfilling, that's pretty fucking awesome.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Congratulations sir! To get it between covers is a hell of an achievement and it looks grand.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Try getting in touch with Midtown Comics in NYC, they carry a lot of indies and they have a lot of customers.

Also probably worth reaching out to Everyone Comics in Queens and Anyone Comics in Brooklyn (same owner), very indie friendly shops.

Desert Island Comics in Brooklyn might be a good fit as well.

Also, definitely get in touch with The Beguiling in Toronto and Floating World Comics in Portland, they both pride themselves on being indie friendly shops!

The previews you've posted on IG look great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Glad you were able to turn a tough time into something creatively fulfilling, that's pretty fucking awesome.
              Thank you, I will definitely be reaching out to all of those stores! And thanks again for posting about it here, your support means a lot!

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
              Congratulations sir! To get it between covers is a hell of an achievement and it looks grand.
              Thanks, Dom! It's the first step. Now I'm ready for more!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Hey, thanks so much guys! I wish I was around more but this is the reason why!
                Last year I ended up having double hernia surgery late in the summer and after a divorce and the pandemic I just felt completely defeated. Not being able to do much for a time but sit I decided to do the one thing I've ignored for so long. Somewhere along the way I convinced myself I didn't want to do comics and I was lying. Since I've started this, (sometime in July), it's completely changed me. I am much happier and less stressed. Watching Matt Allison create his book and find success has been an enormous inspiration for me to commit myself to my own book, and something I'll always be grateful for.

I tabled at my first convention this past weekend, a new one-day comics-only show in Phoenix! It was tons of fun and I can't wait to do more. I don't plan on doing any out of state or multi day show until I have a least another issue out. The second issue should be out in the Fall of this year, I have 5 more pages to pencil then I have 16 pages to ink and color. I still have a day job and unfortunately I'm back in the office several times a week. I'm not sure if it will ever happen but my hope is to eventually transition to my own work fulltime. We'll see but I don't think I'm going to stop now that I started.

The comic is sort of my own anthology art-comic. The kind of one-man show anything goes type thing that Chris Ware, Dan Clowes and Paul Pope do, but I'm nowhere near as good as them. The first story DREAMSICLE will take about 6-7 issues to complete, I have a follow up story already planned for issues 8+. Each issue after issue 2 will take about a year to complete and I plan on doing a Kickstarter of some sort for the eventual collected editions. In the meantime I'd like to keep the single issues in print so when (if?) this first run sells out I will immediately do a second print run. With each new issue I will also be releasing a new wave of prints, stickers, and eventually apparel.

I have a small ad in issue #3 of Santos Sisters, a wonderfully funny humor book in the style of Dan DeCarlo's Archie work. I've also sent out review copies to the Kayfabe boys and The Comics Journal. Really hoping to gain steam somewhere and I also genuinely think these folks will like it. The only store that has it in stock right now is Ash Ave Comics in Tempe but I'm going to try and get it in a few other shops across the country if possible. If anyone knows of any that would be a good fit I'm all ears!

I'm really, REALLY happy for you, Scott. I know you've been going through a lot (though I must have missed the hernia surgery if it was posted here) and it's awesome to see you doing so well and kicking out products. Love when my friends do awesome shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

I'm really, REALLY happy for you, Scott. I know you've been going through a lot (though I must have missed the hernia surgery if it was posted here) and it's awesome to see you doing so well and kicking out products. Love when my friends do awesome shit.
                  Thanks, Mark, I really appreciate that!
                  I don't think I posted about my hernia/s. I didn't want any pity or anyone feeling sorry for me, I just felt bloody stupid. Instead I used my frustration to turn a corner. Then once I started working on the book it immediately took up all my time and I just haven't been online as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Thanks, Mark, I really appreciate that!
                    I don't think I posted about my hernia/s. I didn't want any pity or anyone feeling sorry for me, I just felt bloody stupid. Instead I used my frustration to turn a corner. Then once I started working on the book it immediately took up all my time and I just haven't been online as much.
                    Hernias are no damn joke, for sure, but I get what you're saying. Nice to see you doing better. :)

Comment

A very hearty congratulations, Scott! This looks awesome and a real labor of love. Can't wait to check it out.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                        A very hearty congratulations, Scott! This looks awesome and a real labor of love. Can't wait to check it out.
                        Thanks, Andrew, I appreciate it!

Comment

Scott- Congratulations on completing the project!
                          That is always a big deal. I am looking forward to receiving the book and checking it out. Thank you.
                          paul h.
                          woly boly
                          Last edited by paul h.; 03-03-2023, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paul h. View Post
                            Scott- Congratulations on completing the project!
                            That is always a big deal. I am looking forward to receiving the book and checking it out. Thank you.
                            No, THANK YOU! Paul that means the world to me! I do hope you guys like it. I value your guys's opinion more than anyone else I know and I really appreciate the enthusiasm and support.

So far the owner of Ash Ave Comics in Tempe described it as, "... a fairly demented full color romp for $10".
                            My friend, Max said, "I knew it was adult but I didn't know how twisted it would be."

I've had trouble describing it without getting too specific, but those both work. I like to think of it as a children's book for adults. The second issue will have 4 MORE PAGES for the same outrageous price!

Comment

Thanks again to everyone who ordered a copy, looks like some were delivered this past Saturday and the rest should be hitting your mailboxes today or in the next couple days! I do hope you like it, your support means the world to me, huzzah!

Comment

Working...
                              X