• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator Releasing The Exotic Ones

Release date: 29 May 2023
    Limited Edition Deluxe Hardback Book

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/co...-hardback-book

June. Ron. Tim. Together they were the Ormond Organization, a Nashville mother-father-son trio who cranked out a wild bunch of movies, from Lash LaRue westerns to the stripper-gore-musical outrage The Exotic Ones, then, finally… Baptist extravaganzas. The Ormonds plunged into every area of showbiz, from vaudeville to drive-in movies to Christian filmmaking. They did it all on a shoestring – by themselves, with no studio to back them.

Theirs was a glittery world like no other. Populated by inebriated cowboys… spook-show mentalists… non-acting country stars… UFO testifiers… men in gorilla suits… fire-breathing, mud-wrestling ex-strippers… egocentric magicians… rockabilly monsters… sweaty preachers… pint-sized evangelists. Not to mention a con artist or ten.

At the height of their frenzied career Ron and June experienced a spiritual awakening after their private plane crashed on the way to a premiere. The Ormonds turned their back on secular show business to produce a series of shocking, surreal religious pictures, including an unbelievable trio of films for Mississippi Baptist preacher Estus Pirkle – such as The Burning Hell, which made millions without ever being shown in an actual movie theatre. The inside story on the three unbelievable Ormond-Pirkle religious pictures has never been told – until now.

Forensic biographer Jimmy McDonough interviewed June Ormond extensively and she revealed things she told no other soul. June was the guiding force of the family, a woman who held her own in the cutthroat male-dominated world of exploitation film. Her commentary is hilarious, brutally honest and at times heartbreaking.

Presented by Nicolas Winding Refn, and released to coincide with Powerhouse Films’ publication of From Hollywood to Heaven, a four-disc Blu-ray box set of thirteen films by the Ormond Family, The Exotic Ones is a landmark work by Jimmy McDonough, and a beautifully designed feast for the eyes.

‘This is the last book I will write on exploitation film,’ says Jimmy. ‘Buy it! Or go to hell.’

Luxurious large format quarter-bound hardcover book in heavy duty slipcase with ribbon page markers and gold page edges
    Nearly forty years in the making
    Contains over 800 photos
    Limited Collector’s Edition of just 1,500 copies
    All previous FAB Press collaborations with byNWR have sold out quickly, and are now much-sought-after high-priced collector’s items
    Dimensions: 350mm x 310mm x 38mm
    Weight: 4025g
    ISBN: 9781913051181

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	410057

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	410055

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	410058

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	410056
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Although my interest in actually watching the Ormonds' films is fairly limited, theirs definitely sounds like a fascinating story, and McDonough is such a great biographer, I'd probably want to read a book by him on pretty much any subject to be honest, so it's a no-brainer that I'll be picking this up at some point.

That said though, I curse Winding Refn for ensuring it's only currently available as a £75 bookshelf-breaker which I really don't need, as opposed to a nice mass market paperback I could stuff in my backpack for train-reading, then neatly file next to my battered second-hand copies of McDonough's other mighty works. Hopefully an edition slightly closer to that end of the market will follow in due course...
    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ordered.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm all about these high-end presentations. I'm seeing many people getting upset with Taschen for not offering a smaller, mass market edition of this new Frazetta book (the bigger the better in that case, I say) and my thought is that if the subject warrants it, and the production is truly stellar as is the case with Taschen, why not?

Rather than a cheaply produced paperback I feel like, in the case of this Ormond book from Indicator, a digital version makes more sense for those who don't need a massive hardcover. Why waste the ink and paper.
      Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

I'm a cheapskate. McDonough's books on Neil Young, Russ Meyer and Andy Milligan (I hadn't seen any of his movies before reading the book, I bought it solely based on reviews) worked as standard editions when they originally came out, so I probably wouldn't want to shell out so much cash on something that's a complete unknown to me. However, I'd probably pick up a standard edition blind.

I haven't seen any of the films so I'll do some research first and probably wait until the Blu Ray box set is out before deciding to buy it or not. I doubt they'll shift 3000 copies in advance.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
          Rather than a cheaply produced paperback I feel like, in the case of this Ormond book from Indicator, a digital version makes more sense for those who don't need a massive hardcover. Why waste the ink and paper.
          This is probably a fair point. By history and inclination, I've a paperback fiend, so always feel more comfortable reading on paper, but to be honest there's no reason why I shouldn't get wth the programme and invest in a kindle/tablet type reader if needs be.

For a book like this one, I'm all about the text anyway, so happy to consume it in whatever manner is eventually provided.
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you order the book directly from fabpress.com, there are a couple of bonus items thrown in for the same price.

https://www.fabpress.com/the-exotic-...hardcover.html

Comment

Working...
            X