Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sweetest Taboo: An Unapologetic Guide To Child Kills In Film by Erica Schultz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sweetest Taboo: An Unapologetic Guide To Child Kills In Film by Erica Schultz

Just wanted to bring some awareness to this project. I know the author, Erica, from being on the Unsung Horrors podcast a few times and figure some here might appreciate what she's doing here.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...eetest-taboo#/

"I'm sorry, you wrote a book about WHAT?

Years ago, I began a private list on Letterboxd of all of the films I had watched with a child killed. My only goal was to have the most comprehensive list on the app once I made it public. That was it. I was able to add quite a few to my list that I didn’t have after Fantastic Fest 2019 when Zack Carlson programmed a clip show of child kills called The Sweetest Taboo: 100 Best Kills (title by Lars Nilsen). Sometime later, I told Zack about the list I was working on, and through some kind of manic, hypnotic somersaulting of words and flailing, he convinced me to turn it into a book. So here we are.

Not many people will appreciate or even tolerate this kind of thing in a film, including publishers, and this is why I am crowdfunding this project. This is not a book for everyone; it will probably make some people mad, especially those who need trigger warnings and frequent doesthedogdie.com. But this book is not an endorsement of the act, it is an appreciation of those films which had the guts to break the taboo of killing a child in a film and my enjoyment of that. Remember folks, these are movies, not real life."

Lots more info at the link above!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks for sharing, Ian!

Comment

Of course!
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Interesting subject - No matter how many times I've seen it, I still find that scene in the original Assault on Precinct 13 quite jolting! It pushes all the right buttons.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I can't help but think that this is a missed opportunity for Robin Bougie.

Comment

One of the funniest ones is in PLANET TERROR: "Be careful where you point that thing. You'll blow your own face off."
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
              One of the funniest ones is in PLANET TERROR: "Be careful where you point that thing. You'll blow your own face off."
              Funny thing from that one; They didn't tell the kid that he died. There's an alternative shot from the last scene of the film where he is victorious with the rest of the cast members so that he would think his character made it.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I thought of two missing from the list (both by Clive Barker): NIGHTBREED (off-screen) and LORD OF ILLUSIONS (aftermath).

Comment

Top 5 child kills:

1) Assault on Precinct 13
                  2) The Beyond
                  3) Goodbye Uncle Tom
                  4) Andy Warhol's Bad
                  5) That snuff film my mate Dave made...
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                    4) Andy Warhol's Bad
                    This would be my number one. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Comment

Sounds like a very interesting book. CLEAN, SHAVEN is one that I find really disturbing. A film that haunts you for days after watching it.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Oh man, I forgot about THE TOXIC AVENGER; that one upset me a lot. It's a brilliantly sadistic scene. I think what really puts it over the top is the cheerful pop music playing in the background as the kid is turned into roadkill.

Comment

Working...
                        X