The Queens Comic Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Looking forward to comic showing with you and Billy in June.
    It'll be a nerdy good time, haha.

I'll get around to Stormwatch soon and try to get over my Superman bias, haha.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The latest episode of The Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/NIDMT13uEAb

In this latest episode, Billy and Ian talk about their experiences at NJ's King Con and NYC's Big Apple Comic Con and cover some of their pick ups from the shows and how cool Roy Thomas is before going over Psycho Killers comics, Charles Burns' masterpiece Black Hole, Robert Crumb's Big Ass Comics, Billy's obsession with the Ultimate Warrior, Last Gasp's Commies From Mars collected edition, Brooklyn Dreams, the Marvel Aliens Epic Collection, how cool anthology comics are, Will Eisner and The Spirit, The Spain Rodriguez Documentary 'Bad Attitude: The Art Of Spain Rodriguez' and DC's Wednesday Comics.

It's almost an hour of comic talk made just for you!

Click image for larger version  Name:	episode-13.jpg Views:	114 Size:	261.5 KB ID:	414141
      Ian Jane
      Administrator
      Last edited by Ian Jane; 06-15-2023, 09:50 AM.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Black Hole is an odd comic. Sometimes I will find issues in the dollar bins. Then other shops every issue is a wall book.

IIRC I traded you issue 1 for some wrestling stuff.

Fun episode guys,thanks for helping keep me entertained and I drove mom around to her appointments today.

Comment

For a long while David Fincher was attached to direct a BLACK HOLE adaptation. Looking at Wiki it looks like it's been attached to a bunch of different directors over the years. Personally, I just don't see the point, they will never be able to capture the style Burns brings, and that's 90% of the draw (pun firmly intended). It's the problem with every comicbook adaptation, IMO.

I did find it strange how it was focused on and used as a plot point in one the recent PLANET OF APE movies (I think it was the second film?). I was dragged to a showing by a friend and the moment a prominent character pulled out a copy of BLACK HOLE and held it up in a high esteem it completely took me out of the movie. My friend who wasn't familiar with it or Charles Burns (or indie comics in general) immediately ordered a copy and fell in love with it. It still strikes me as very odd. It would be like if Timothy Chalamet in the upcoming Willy Wonka prequel pulled out a copy of Dave Cooper's WEASEL and pontificated about it's quality. A soulless remake of a long dead franchise is an odd place to start waxing poetic about niche indie comics. HATE appearing in Larry Clark's KIDS makes sense, thematically and as a contemporary. But BLACK HOLE in DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES? I wonder what Burns' thoughts are on this?

Here's the Wiki regarding BLACK HOLE's film development:
          In November 2005, the message board of the Comics Journal reported that Black Hole would be adapted to film by the French director Alexandre Aja. In March 2006, comics news site Newsarama reported that Neil Gaiman and Pulp Fiction co-writer Roger Avary would be adapting the screenplay.[6]

In 2007, director Rupert Sanders released an abbreviated live-action adaptation of Black Hole on his website[7][8] as part of his pitch for the project.[9] It features actors Chris Marquette, Whitney Able, Diane Gaeta, Noel Fisher, and Nate Mooney.

In February 2008, Variety reported that the film would be produced by Paramount Pictures and directed by Academy Award-nominee David Fincher.[10] In October 2008, MTV reported that scriptwriters Gaiman and Avary had left the production, reporting that their script would not be used by Fincher – though no replacement scriptwriter was announced.[11] In August 2010, David Fincher also removed his name from production of the film in order to focus more attention on directing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy,[12] however as of October 2013 he was once more attached to direct Black Hole.[13]

In March 2018, the project was revived when New Regency and Brad Pitt's production company Plan B acquired the rights to the film with Rick Famuyiwa attached to write and direct after making his Sundance hit, Dope.
          EDIT TO ADD: Here's Burn's response to BLACK HOLE being used in DAWN back in 2014: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blog...-the-Apes.html

Things aren't going well between humans and the primates in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the new sequel to the 2011 reboot of the classic late-'60s/'70s Planet of the Apes sci-fi franchise. Mistrust, wariness, bloodshed abounds. But Kodi Smit-McPhee, who plays Alexander, the teenage son of good guy Jason Clarke, has found a way to bond with the simians – notably the sage old orangutan Maurice (a motion-captured Karin Konoval) . Alexander has been reading a book called Black Hole in his pup tent, and when Maurice drops by, the kid shows the furry orange ape a few panels, even reading dialogue aloud from the gorgeously creepy graphic novel about a strange plague that befalls a band of suburban teenagers in 1970s Pacific Northwest.

Black Hole is the work of Philadelphia artist, illustrator and writer Charles Burns, who had "signed off" on letting the 20th Century Fox film production use his book -- so long ago that he completely forgot about it.

"It was one of those things that I agreed to, and I just spaced it out," says Burns, who has not seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet-- it opens Friday – but thought the original 1968 Planet of the Apes, with Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter, pretty cool.

"Occasionally, I'll get a request from a film to use a book as a prop, sitting in a room, on a table, or something," says Burns, who didn't realize what a significant role his 2005 tome would play in the latest man vs. ape adventure.

Burns -- who has Sugar Skull, the third book in his set of stories that began with X'ed Out and continued with The Hive, coming in September -- balks at the suggestion he take a stack of Black Holes to the local movieplex and offer to sign copies to folks exiting from Dawn of the Apes.

"That would be a good move," he says, drily.
          Scott
          Intellectual Carrot
          Last edited by Scott; 05-15-2023, 05:01 PM.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that Scott. I had no idea it was kinda/maybe/sorta in development at one point. And while the book obviously stands on its own and doesn't need a movie, I'd love to see someone like Cronenberg take a stab at it. I think it could work really well with the right director attached but it would have to stay true to source.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Interesting, thanks for that Scott. I had no idea it was kinda/maybe/sorta in development at one point. And while the book obviously stands on its own and doesn't need a movie, I'd love to see someone like Cronenberg take a stab at it. I think it could work really well with the right director attached but it would have to stay true to source.
              Yeah Cronenberg would be good. It definitely needs the right kinda guy. I'm not sure if Fincher is that guy.

Comment

The latest episode of The Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/B6yZn13uEAb

In this episode, Billy and Ian discuss the waning appeal of Mad Magazine despite its classic status, how CGC seems to be dropping in popularity, Creature Tech from Earthworm Jim creator Doug TenNepal, if Beanie Babies are being sold inside shoe repair stores, what it was like setting up at the 2023 Forest Hills High School Comic Show and are teenage girls into Nightwing? They also cover Billy's magical ability to put prints in plastic seals at shows, the importance of being nice, the importance of keeping kids into comics, did the comics code inspire punk rock, the mysterious but wonderful Super Magic Bob, Richard Corben's Grim Wit #1, the new Dark Horse Comics Murky World hardcover and The June 11th Queens Comic Party Brooklyn Invasion Show.

Give it a listen - it won't cost you a dime and you'll get to hear annoying motorcyle guys ride by while we're recording!

Click image for larger version  Name:	episode-14.jpg Views:	62 Size:	253.4 KB ID:	415199
                Ian Jane
                Administrator
                Last edited by Ian Jane; 06-15-2023, 09:49 AM.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

i want a ramones themed bathroom.

No mine is done in fucking magnolias.With Spiderman towels.

Comment

Spider-man towels are pretty cool though...
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Really enjoyed the latest one. I love MAD Magazine, but yeah. Some of the politics of the time get lost in translation.

I found that when I happened upon a number of National Lampoon magazines in digital format. One issue, I swear, is nothing but Spiro Agnew jokes from the first letter to the editor, to the back page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                        Really enjoyed the latest one. I love MAD Magazine, but yeah. Some of the politics of the time get lost in translation.

I found that when I happened upon a number of National Lampoon magazines in digital format. One issue, I swear, is nothing but Spiro Agnew jokes from the first letter to the editor, to the back page.
                        Thanks, when I listened to the episode all I could hear was the motorcycle guy outside, haha, so it's nice to get some positive feedback on it.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Thanks, when I listened to the episode all I could hear was the motorcycle guy outside, haha, so it's nice to get some positive feedback on it.
                          Microphones obviously had a moment or two where they were correcting heavily for surrounding noise, but not enough to be discouraged from listening to it.

Also, it was either you or Billy mentioning underground comics/comic code/punk roots happening around the same time, that was cool.

Comment

• Before I read comics I had a subscription to MAD magazine. My mom was a fan of MAD and Robert Crumb and that rubbed off on me.

Comment

• The lastest episode of the Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/ENGLS03uEAb

In this episode, Billy and Ian talk about their experience at the first Hot Flips show in Long Island. We then learn how much Billy loves Green Lantern and about his casting ideas for the TV show and the importance of second changes. After that, it's time to talk about dollar bin diving at a thrift store in Queens where we go over L.I.F.E. Brigade #1 from Blue Comet Press, Marvel's The Nam and it's connection to The Punisher, 'Mazing Man #12 and its Frank Miller Dark Knight cover, Eclipse's Miracleman run, Glen Orbik's Batman Shadow Of The Bat covers, how cool Deadman is, Tim Vigil's work on Grips, Mr. Monster, McFarlane's work on Infinity Inc., Ian's Dave Stevens scores, Stormwatch, Bissette & Veitch's Fearbook, Futurebeat, Rip Off Press' Rockers, The Batman Returns comic adaptation and that time a Batman comic taught us how to build a bomb, Death Rattle #5 and Rand Holmes' channeling of Wally Wood, Superman 10 Cent Adventures and a Detective Comics Green Arrow backup story not written by Alan Moore. Also, Ian sings the theme song from the Conan The Adventurer song while Billy geeks out over the embossed cover on the first issue. Plus more ska jokes and lots more loud cars and motorcycles in the background!

It's a whole lot of four color fun, shot straight into your ears!

Click image for larger version  Name:	episode-15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	325.3 KB ID:	415802
                              Ian Jane
                              Administrator
                              Last edited by Ian Jane; 06-15-2023, 09:47 AM.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• FEAR BOOK!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X