No announcement yet.

The Queens Comic Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was finally able to listen to the latest episode, thanks for the additional shout out, Ian, I really appreciate it!

I laughed at the Ska mozzarella sticks joke. I went through a big Ska phase in high school and early college. I probably went to more Ska shows than anything else throughout my life. They were cheap 5 dollar shows and we'd go a couple times a week. I still have all my Ska CDs even though I never listen to them. So many of them were one-off local bands and things I'd never be able to find again. The third wave hit my generation at the right time.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

The latest episode of The Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4x6...e04fab860e43ae

In this latest episode, Billy and Ian jump into a look at Kitchen Sink Press' Snarf #2 with their underground of the week, before Billy confesses his love of vampirefreaks.com. This is followed by a look at Ken Landgraf's New York City Outlaws #3 (which features a guest appearance from Jon Mikl Thor!), some thoughts on Renegade Press' Manimal #1, Steve Ditko's Mister A, Peach Momoko's X-Men work and NYCC experience, Verotik's Devilman #1, Charles Burns' Facetasm, a great vintage issues of Challengers Of The Unknown with Deadman, the recent issue of Vampire Macabre by Frank Forte and Tim Vigil, Johnny Ryan's What Are You Lookin' At?, Ian Cinco's Neon Spring and Erratica collection, Hellboy and, last but not least, The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck. It's a whole lot of disjointed comic talk and it's all for you, absolutely free!

Click image for larger version

Name:	qcp---episode-11.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	412737
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think this was my favorite episode so far. You guys are flowing together real well, even when it jumps around it all feels right, like a real conversation. Thanks for supporting the indies!

I thought it was hilarious how uncomfortable Billy was with Johnny Ryan's work.

I also had no idea about what happened at the Peach Momoko signing. Yikes. She needs to charge A LOT more and limit signings, that'll keep the jerk and flippers away.

Comment

Thanks Scott, happy to hear that!

And yeah, the situation with Peach at NYCC was pretty nuts.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Excellent episode. Bolt Thrower mention, haha. Get Thor on the cast!
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah, I liked that one a fair bit. SNARF!

Comment

The latest episode of The Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/ovU8p23uEAb

In this latest episode, Billy and Ian remember the late, great Al Jaffee before diving into Heather Benjamin's bizarre and beautifully obscene Exorcise art book. From there, it's a look at issue #3 of Last Gasp's notorious Cocaine Comix (featuring work from Leonardo DiCaprio's pops!), Will Eisner's The Spirit, EC Comics that we can't afford and then have a spirited discussion about Ditko's Mr. A & The Maker. The second half of the show discusses DC's Waller Versus Wildstorm book, Avatar's not very good Friday The 13th comics, Jack Kirby's wonderfully wacky Days Of The Mob, a neat vintage Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars Sticker Book, Rick Veitch's excellent Brat Pack #1, the Heavy Metal release of Alien The Illustrated Story by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson and, last but not least, Billy's favorite Superman series, All Star Superman.

Click image for larger version  Name:	episode-12.jpg Views:	86 Size:	256.3 KB ID:	413424
                Ian Jane
                Administrator
                Last edited by Ian Jane; 06-15-2023, 09:50 AM.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Been meaning to ask, is that Mark singing on the theme song? It's a great tune. I'll check out the new episode tomorrow.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

It's Mark on lead and me on backup.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                      Been meaning to ask, is that Mark singing on the theme song? It's a great tune. I'll check out the new episode tomorrow.
                      Ha, thanks, Andrew! Ian's on more than backup, but it was a lot of fun to do. Ian and I used to crank out some pretty amazing shit back in college just by yapping back and forth at each other, and doing this song reminded me of that. I still giggle whenever I fire up the podcast and those drums kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        It's Mark on lead and me on backup.
                        And sometimes Mike.

Comment

Also that Alien book yall talked about is amazing. I got a more recent printing a few years ago when I was attempting to get all the Alien/Aliens comics in TPB form.

Makes me wish I had more than 3 comic shops in driving distance. But the few left hang on buy selling CCGs and whatever plastic crap the nerds are hooked on now. Last time I was in a new to me comic shop their backissue section was 4 longboxes.... I got more than 3 times that of shit I bought and still haven't read.

Comment

I figured that was Mark singing, that's awesome you're both on there!

Another fun episode! ALL-STAR SUPERMAN is really wonderful, I can't imagine you not liking it, Ian. I'd toss in SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS, by Tim Sale and Jeff Loeb. I like it a smidge more than ALL-STAR but that's really splitting hairs. They're both my favorite Supermen after the Silver Age stuff.

A few episodes back I forgot to mention AUTHORITY when it was brought up. I did a post on it a couple years back when I was going through all the Warren Ellis Wildstorm stuff. It's fantastic but I'd suggest reading Ellis' STORMWATCH run first as that sets up AUTHORITY and leads into it. Plus it's super rad in it's own right. I didn't read the Millar run of AUTHORITY which seems to leave people divided.

I have one issue of COCAINE COMIX but always wished I had more. I've never actually tried cocaine.

Comment

Don't worry, Scott, I did enough for you and you and you.

Great episode, even though I had no idea about most of the books you were talking about. Looking forward to comic showing with you and Billy in June.

Comment

Stormwatch is a blast. Got the tpbs covering Ellis run,including that HTF Wildkats/Aliens tpb,years ago cheap at a con. Had never read much of it until then.

Sadly I have done cocaine but no issues of Cocaine Comix??!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X