The Queens Comic Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Thanks, Andrew, it looks like the order went thru! I'll get it shipped out first thing tomorrow. I really appreciate it, huzzah!
    It's my pleasure, can't wait to check it out!
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      The latest episode of The Queens Comic Podcast is now live!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4UB...a8be65dc83496b

With Billy indisposed, Ian takes the opportunity to conduct our first ever interview with indie comics creator Scott Ruhl about his new self published book, Futurelux! It's a strangely philosophical talk about art, process, creativity, influences, the need to do something different and life!

There is, unfortunate, a quick audio glitch just past the 13 minute mark thanks to Zoom but luckily it only lasts about three seconds.

Follow Scott on Instagram @scottgerardruhl and check out his webshop at https://futureluxuryisburning.square.site/
      Click image for larger version  Name:	episode-9.jpg Views:	64 Size:	226.5 KB ID:	411265
      The podcast put me to sleep...
      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I just finished listening to the podcast and really dug it! It's a fascinating listen. Great job by both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
          I just finished listening to the podcast and really dug it! It's a fascinating listen. Great job by both of you.
          Thanks, Andrew!!

Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
          The podcast put me to sleep...
          Thanks, Alison!!

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I haven't been listening to the podcast after the first one because the stuff you guys discuss is way outside my ken but I enjoyed this one as it mostly just talking about creative processes.

One thing the podcast touched on that I've given a lot of thought to over the years is creative feedback. You've made your thing and now how do you know if it's actually any good? My take on it is this, feedback is absolutely necessary while at the same time 99% of it iss completely useless. There's the stuff that comes from friends and family that useless because they're being polite/supportive of you. Then there's the strangers whos takes are worthless because you don't know their tastes. Someone might hate what you've done but that persons favourite film might be Driving Miss Daisy. Maybe their opinion isn't worth anything. I hate performers stopping me after a show to ask me what my take on their work is because a) it would be rude to be anything but complimentary and that's not helpful if I thought it needed work (it usually does) and b) they barely know me so why should my opinion hold any weight with them? You really do just need to have 1 or 2 people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about and who know you well enough to give it to you straight. Once you have them never, ever, ask anyone else what they think.

Scott was talking about imposter syndrome etc and I think having those 1 or 2 people is really helpful for any sort of self doubt. Firstly they'll stop you putting out anything really shit and secondly their eventual approval is excellent armour against any incoming criticisms. You'll know you're not completely delusional if you're hearing good things from your 1 or 2 people. Anyway... just some unasked for Wisdom that occurred to me while I was listening to the interview.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
              I haven't been listening to the podcast after the first one because the stuff you guys discuss is way outside my ken but I enjoyed this one as it mostly just talking about creative processes.

One thing the podcast touched on that I've given a lot of thought to over the years is creative feedback. You've made your thing and now how do you know if it's actually any good? My take on it is this, feedback is absolutely necessary while at the same time 99% of it iss completely useless. There's the stuff that comes from friends and family that useless because they're being polite/supportive of you. Then there's the strangers whos takes are worthless because you don't know their tastes. Someone might hate what you've done but that persons favourite film might be Driving Miss Daisy. Maybe their opinion isn't worth anything. I hate performers stopping me after a show to ask me what my take on their work is because a) it would be rude to be anything but complimentary and that's not helpful if I thought it needed work (it usually does) and b) they barely know me so why should my opinion hold any weight with them? You really do just need to have 1 or 2 people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about and who know you well enough to give it to you straight. Once you have them never, ever, ask anyone else what they think.

Scott was talking about imposter syndrome etc and I think having those 1 or 2 people is really helpful for any sort of self doubt. Firstly they'll stop you putting out anything really shit and secondly their eventual approval is excellent armour against any incoming criticisms. You'll know you're not completely delusional if you're hearing good things from your 1 or 2 people. Anyway... just some unasked for Wisdom that occurred to me while I was listening to the interview.
              Thanks, Dom. I appreciate you listening and taking the time to put your thoughts down. All of what you said is always bouncing around my brain. I do think I can tell where someone is coming from or if they are just being polite, but it is tough to get constructive feedback. I'm not sure if that can come from someone who isn't also a creator of some sort. I do think friends and family unknowingly do a disservice, especially when you're younger. There's a fine line to being encouraging knowingly and unknowingly. Looking back as a kid I was almost completely surrounded by people who see art as a parlor trick. Most people don't look at art. They don't know what they are talking about and do not understand what a creative person requires or what challenges they will meet in the real world. All they see is a kid who can do a neat trick and they heap on praise.

At some point I grew and learned enough to dismiss those people, or take the compliment for what it is, an uninformed yokel dazzled by parlor tricks. But then you get older, and it's not as cute anymore. People want real results, (meaning jobs and money), and the quality of the work or lack thereof is beside the point. Can you make a living off it is all that matters to them. They don't understand the opportunities offered beyond tattoo artists, caricature artists at State Fairs, and Walt Disney. As far as regular people are concerned that is the world of art as much as they can see it. People who don't read comics think comics aren't being made anymore, to them it's an antiquated curiosity from the past.

So I think my imposter syndrome is from a lifetime of praise heaped on me by meaningful but uninformed people, (mostly family), and my reaction to not being nearly as good as they think I am. It's stupid, I know. But I think even my art director at my day job expected me to light the world on fire when I told him I decided to do this, not really having an understanding of where this work does or doesn't fit in the greater comicbook world, and how much of a struggle it might be. It's not their fault I'm obsessed about something they might not fully appreciate. But it is frustrating at times.

Comment

Thanks, Andrew!!

Thanks, Alison!!

Ha, she was literally sleeping a few feet away from where I was recording.

Andrew, Dom, glad you guys enjoyed it. It was fun to be able to do something a bit different this time around.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/s...de-Ten-e21d4el

Ian and Billy are reunited in the latest episode where we run down how much fun the last Brooklyn Invasion Queens Comic Party show was before then doing a deep dive on the @twomorrowspubs hardcover collection of Jack Kirby's Dingbat Love before then going over Kirby's career and what makes his work on titles like Captain America, The Fantastic Four, The New Gods and others so important. Plus, we argue about if OMAC sucks or not and if Billy should become a 'ska guy,' while Ian gives an old man rant about movie theaters. But before it's all over, we bring it back to the importance of Kirby's work and of the legacy he has left us all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	episode-ten.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	412092
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/s...de-Ten-e21d4el

Ian and Billy are reunited in the latest episode where we run down how much fun the last Brooklyn Invasion Queens Comic Party show was before then doing a deep dive on the @twomorrowspubs hardcover collection of Jack Kirby's Dingbat Love before then going over Kirby's career and what makes his work on titles like Captain America, The Fantastic Four, The New Gods and others so important. Plus, we argue about if OMAC sucks or not and if Billy should become a 'ska guy,' while Ian gives an old man rant about movie theaters. But before it's all over, we bring it back to the importance of Kirby's work and of the legacy he has left us all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	episode-ten.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	412092
                    Great episode! Loved the talk about TwoMorrows , they are awesome. Back Issue is the best comic magazine ever.

Comment

I'm two episodes behind, but tomorrow morning is all catching up on paperwork, so I believe Ill be caught up by noon. :)

Comment

Word!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Finished the Ruhl episode this morning, great interview!

And Scott, too funny if you read the book by Alice Cooper bass player/writer Dennis Dunaway, he talks about how there was a crazy "surf scene" when they were growing up in Arizona where people would buy surfboards and cut them in half to hang half out the back window of their car, I guess emulating the california cruising/surfing scene.

I've always gravitated to surf culture as well, love the movies you referenced (JMV in Big Wednesday, YES!) and finally decided that I was gonna do it before I turned 40. It's difficult as hell but after a few trips to a good break and dipping my toes in the freezing cold water up here for some Great Lakes winter surfing, I did get somewhat presentable at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                            Finished the Ruhl episode this morning, great interview!

And Scott, too funny if you read the book by Alice Cooper bass player/writer Dennis Dunaway, he talks about how there was a crazy "surf scene" when they were growing up in Arizona where people would buy surfboards and cut them in half to hang half out the back window of their car, I guess emulating the california cruising/surfing scene.

I've always gravitated to surf culture as well, love the movies you referenced (JMV in Big Wednesday, YES!) and finally decided that I was gonna do it before I turned 40. It's difficult as hell but after a few trips to a good break and dipping my toes in the freezing cold water up here for some Great Lakes winter surfing, I did get somewhat presentable at it.
                            That AZ surf scene doesn't surprise me. The white sand dunes in New Mexico would be fun to play around on.

Thanks for checking out the interview! I should have gave surfing a try sometime at Lake Michigan. I'd go to West Beach in Indiana every weekend during the summer months. I only ever saw someone doing some small boogie boarding. I saw a video today of an 89 year old man surfing so there's always time!

Comment

That AZ surf scene doesn't surprise me. The white sand dunes in New Mexico would be fun to play around on.

Thanks for checking out the interview! I should have gave surfing a try sometime at Lake Michigan. I'd go to West Beach in Indiana every weekend during the summer months. I only ever saw someone doing some small boogie boarding. I saw a video today of an 89 year old man surfing so there's always time!
                              Definitely is time, man! And yeah, you and Matt doing rad comics is rad, so it's rad that his name came up as well. Again, glad to hear you doing so well. :)

Comment

FInished the new EP on my walk. Ian dude back whenever Clerks 2 came out I had a similar incident.

We ,my then wife and I,went to the nearest theater on a Wednesday at like 1pm. Thinking the theater would be mostly empty. Go in buddy ran the theater,get snacks go sit down. 4 other people in there. Sit down. 10 minutes later 5 or 6 teens walk in.

They sit 5 or six rows in front of us. And are texting on their phones,no biggie movie aint started. Trailer start they are still texting,get told "Newt dont say anything unless they do it during the movie"

Movie starts they stop texting. Bit into the film I see one open there phone,send a text,and another in the row gets it and replies. I walk down "hey sorry but those bright screens are very distracting could you not use them in the theater?" Get told "Screw you old man" mind ya I was 32 back then.

I walk back to my seat,she can tell I'm fuming.I grab my drink to take a sip,and hurl it hitting one of the teens in the head. He gets up looks at me. I wave. He storms out. Few minutes later film stops and teen comes back in with the manager. "Yea that guy he threw a drink at me!"

Manager asks me if I did it "Yep." Then looks at the teens. "R rated movie kiddos show some ID or get out." None of them were over 15 all got kicked out. I get told "Can't throw drinks at assholes Newt. I will get you a new one." And few minutes later the film starts back up.

Since our local theater sucks I rarely go. But I can imagine it is even worse now.

Comment

Working...
                                X