Confessions Of A Puppet Master: Charles Band autobiography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions Of A Puppet Master: Charles Band autobiography

I knew very little about Band going in. I'm aware of Full Moon Features and always had him pegged as a poor mans Llyod Kaufman. That's a harsh call if half of what is in this book is true (big if. It doesn't always have the ring of truth).

I did not know, for instance, that at one point he purchased the largest film studios in Europe from a near bankrupt Dino DeLaurentis and moved his productions to Europe where he operated out of a castle that he got on the cheap because it was sold in an ancient Italian real estate ritual that involved having to put in the largest bid before a candel burns out and he was the only bidder who understood the rules- see what I mean when I mentioned it strains credulity at times?

It's a very self aggrandizing read but a fun one and recalls a lot of nostalgia for me that I didn't know Band was involved in. For example, when I was a kid my cousin wouldn't go to the bathroom because of The Ghoulies poster. Well Band covers being picketed by angry parents from across the country. Apparently my cousin wasn't the only one. Covers producing Stuart Gordons first flicks, leaving a 40 foot shoe in the middle of a California park because he didn't know what to do with it after shooting Fairy Tales, shagging a young Demi Moore beneath the I Spit On Your Grave poster, and making up to 40 films a year most of which I have at least heard of.

I'm halfway through and at this point Band is mega rich and living the good life, commuting between Rome and LA producing more films than just about anyone else on earth. I know he winds up owner of a small streaming label, sneaking out during lockdown to shoot low quality video to release Corona Zombies mid pandemic. Seems like a hell of fall... Should be good reading.

Recommended, with caveats.
    Last edited by Dom D; 08-22-2022, 05:43 PM.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Yeah, it was a good read. Band comes off as a little too cute and innocent at times, but there's some great stories in here. It was really strange hearing about the recent allegations towards Gary Busey after having just read about Band's nightmarish experience with him on THE GINGERDEAD MAN.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

His latest podcast he interviews John Waters. Good stuff.

Comment

I finally got a chance to sit down and finish this. It's a good read. That said, I don't trust it an inch. The undoing of Charles Band is very glossed over. Really no wiser on how it all fell apart for having read it. I guess it's the usual building up of debts until the repaments read like phone numbers and then collapse. He always comes out looking good. Yeah he cheated on his wives but it was for love! And his unpayable debts, that no doubt hit many other businesses hard, were just the result of his exuberance! Oftentimes reading this I'm left thinking, I'd like to hear the other guys take on that.

The bits at the end about Full Moonstreaming are interesting. He says around 50,000 subscribers who are all forking over monthly. No one who is not directly involved would have any idea of the costs bit that seems like good turn over. I live in hope one day that someone in the cult video world will wake up to the reality of our streaming future and start making things available. Bring together all this disparatr labels under one site. Band seems like maybe one of very few who would be capable of that as I think most of the labels these days are more 'hobbyists' than business people and lack the money and the savvy. You can see the beginnings of that idea on his site but a few Franco movies and some Blue Underground titles is not enough to get excited about.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I agree with Dom. It is a fun read but needs to be taken with a pinch of ten of salt. He is very much a storyteller, good old Charlie. The kind who never lets the truth interfere with a good telling of a story, that is. But nevertheless, if one disregards the whole tongue in cheek jokes and glossing over of his failures, this is a very good read.

"No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
            I finally got a chance to sit down and finish this. It's a good read. That said, I don't trust it an inch. The undoing of Charles Band is very glossed over. Really no wiser on how it all fell apart for having read it. I guess it's the usual building up of debts until the repaments read like phone numbers and then collapse. He always comes out looking good. Yeah he cheated on his wives but it was for love! And his unpayable debts, that no doubt hit many other businesses hard, were just the result of his exuberance! Oftentimes reading this I'm left thinking, I'd like to hear the other guys take on that.

The bits at the end about Full Moonstreaming are interesting. He says around 50,000 subscribers who are all forking over monthly. No one who is not directly involved would have any idea of the costs bit that seems like good turn over. I live in hope one day that someone in the cult video world will wake up to the reality of our streaming future and start making things available. Bring together all this disparatr labels under one site. Band seems like maybe one of very few who would be capable of that as I think most of the labels these days are more 'hobbyists' than business people and lack the money and the savvy. You can see the beginnings of that idea on his site but a few Franco movies and some Blue Underground titles is not enough to get excited about.
            if you have a streaming device like a Roku or a smart tv, you should check out the KinoCult channel. Lots of good stuff there.
            Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Originally posted by unclefred View Post

if you have a streaming device like a Roku or a smart tv, you should check out the KinoCult channel. Lots of good stuff there.
              Cheers! In another thread today Darcy mentioned Midnight Pulp which I hadn't come across either and looks not bad at all. Both require a VPN which is a hassle. Neithers quite what I'm looking for but its a start.

Comment

I'm listening to the Charles Band episode of The Movies That Made Me and it's really bad. All he's talking about is himself and he's almost refusing to discuss even one film that inspired him.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                  I'm listening to the Charles Band episode of The Movies That Made Me and it's really bad. All he's talking about is himself and he's almost refusing to discuss even one film that inspired him.
                  It's always surprising how many guests on that show fail to grasp the core concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    That's odd as he's good about letting his guests talk on his own podcast. Latest one is with Joe Dante, who I love, and I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

It's always surprising how many guests on that show fail to grasp the core concept.
                      The best episode I've heard so far is Panos Cosmatos; he actually asks Josh and Joe to stay on topic!

Comment

Working...
                      X