Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Joe Kubert!

He made it to 85, not a bad run.

"Kubert, the creator of a Morris County school dedicated to inspiring generations of comic book artists from around the world, died yesterday, his son David confirmed. He was 85."

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/inde...ies_85_nj.html

Met him at a convention once, he was a pretty friendly dude.

I always liked his Tarzan art, and then of course there was his stuff for Two Fisted Tales. Tor was rad too. And Sgt. Rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kubert-tarzan-500x698.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	362825
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I was just coming here to post about it myself. Loved his work on Hawkman, as well as Sgt. Rock and Tarzan. He had a really distinctive style, you always knew when it was Kubert. He had stuff out just last week, was working on Nite Owl from Before Watchmen with his son Andy.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah, you could always tell when he'd drawn something - I'd say he had one of the most instantly recognizable styles of any comic book artist. Definitely did his own thing.

I forgot about the Hawkman stuff, that was pretty solid too.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

He's up there for me with Wrightson as being one of the best and most recognizable. Don't forget his work on The Unknown Soldier as well.

Sgt. Rock was his best. I loved the comic.

Comment

He had a lot of rad covers to his credit, these two being favorites of mine...

Name:	ww01kubert1971.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	339302

Name:	250px-Enemy_Ace_Showcase_cover.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	339303
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Very saddened by this. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times. He wasn't just a great war artist... his pre-code horror stuff kicks major ass too!

Comment

It was his artwork on the various DC war comics that got me into reading stuff like Sgt Rock and Unknown Soldier.

Comment

Some more great covers:

Name:	tumblr_m8nz12GcQR1qf83cro5_250.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	339351

Name:	tumblr_m8nz12GcQR1qf83cro3_250.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	339352

Name:	tumblr_m8nz12GcQR1qf83cro4_250.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	339353
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Kubert family is an intricate part of comics. Besides his two sons that are artists, there's a Katie Kubert who's an associate editor at DC (Justice League for one), she's gotta be related somehow, that's a unique name.

Comment

And there was his school. Not sure how many careers it launched but it was around a good while...
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I started reading my trade of ENEMY ACE this week. What an amazing collection of work!

Comment

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/333...+%28Gutters%29

Nice Neal Adams tribute to Joe Kubert and all the various artists that went to the Kubert school.

Comment

I was talking to my friend at the comic store yesterday and he reminded me that in addition to working on Nite Owl, Joe Kubert also had an upcoming new book called Joe Kubert Presents for DC. I think it was gonna be a mix of new stuff he did himself and also stories from other writers and artists. The first issue was due pretty soon, I wonder if they will go ahead with any completed issues.

Comment

They probably will, or at least rework it into some sort of tribute for him.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

http://www.rickveitch.com/2012/08/16...nd-his-school/

Comment

Working...
                              X