• Dark Horse's Conan The Barbarian

Just picked up and read #1.

Anyone else grab this yet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	362694

Who painted that cover? Conan looks like a sissy.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
      Who painted that cover? Conan looks like a sissy.
      Yeah... I am not too hip on the artwork. Massimo Carnevale did the cover. The story is pretty rad. I picked it up today the dude behind the counter told me great things about it. This was the third person to rave about it. I dunno.. I am only moderately impressed. The "sissified" Conan is really distracting while reading the panels.

I am getting ready to read Dark Horse's King Conan which looks WAY cooler. But I have not heard the same great things about it. I picked up 1 and 2 of King Conan.

Comment

Conan looks like he himself could be the Queen of the Black Coast. Give him a moustache and he'll look like Freddie Mercury.

Man, I am way to negative today. Why would I even say that? I love Freddie Mercury.

Comment

Conan looks like he himself could be the Queen of the Black Coast. Give him a moustache and he'll look like Freddie Mercury.

Man, I am way to negative today. Why would I even say that? I love Freddie Mercury.
          Looks like Groo could kick his ass.

Comment

This Conan looks like a cross between Crispin Glover and Gilda Radner.

Comment

When they first relaunched it a few years ago I was loving it. Bought up all the new issues as they came out (cool JM Linsner covers!) and devoured them. Got out of buying single issues, haven't caught back up with it. Did get a few of the trades and they're all pretty solid but I won't bother with this until it's collected.

Start with the Born on the Battlefield trade and work your way into the Dark Horse Conan stuff from there.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Took a brief moment and read the first few pages of King Conan. Already way better than Sissy Conan.

I admittedly am a comic novice but I know what is appealing to me. The art in the new Conan The Barbarian is shitty. It is so shitty that it takes away from the story. King Conan has way radder art. And even if the story is not as good (which I don't know that to be true) it is still the better comic because of the art.

Here is King Conan:

Name:	King.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	338637

Comment

Finished #2 of Sissy Conan. The story is really good. Still struggling with the artwork.

Comment

I read the first four or five trades in the Busiek series and loved it. That cover in the OP is fucking terrible. King Conan looks awesome, though. I might check for it.

Comment

The new six issue run currently out from Dark Horse - Hour Of The Dragon? Good stuff. I think Tim Truman has a good handle on the character and the artwork from Tomas Giorello is really great. Looking forward to the next two issues to see how all of this ends.

Name:	kingconan3c.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	344066
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From Jim Zub's FB page:

"Announced at SDCC: Gail Simone and I are co-writing the CONAN-RED SONJA event for Dark Horse Comics! Art by the incredible Dan Panosian!

It was tough keeping this one under wraps. Can't wait for people to see what we've been cooking up on this!"

Name:	10580063_10152278138377671_5869138465646827179_n.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	346693
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That art isn't so great.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I agree. Never been an admirer of Panosian's artwork. But I like Simone's Sonja, so I'll check it out for sure.

Comment

I agree. Never been an admirer of Panosian's artwork. But I like Simone's Sonja, so I'll check it out for sure.
                              Wasn't Panosian one of the guys that got his start working for Liefield at Extreme Studios? Like Chap Yaep. Which is still one of the best names for a comic book artist ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X