• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied

Got in vol 3 and just read it.

At least the writer knew he had to wrap it up in 5 issues. Curious about the sales figures on this season. Greg Scott handles the art this time and I do like his art.

Nice way of bringing the run full circle that I forgot about. But this came out in what 2016 been close to 10 years since my last time reading it.

Debating on starting Manifest Destiny vol 2 or going to bed.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied

Had a bit to kill before lunch. Blew through this trade. Sure it is only 5 issues of Black Hood,plus a Vampironica for some reason.

Back from the west coast our lead is trying to stay off the pills and not be the Black Hood again. Of course he gets dragged back into the underworld.

Same writer as vol 1,this time it is a different artist on each issue. Which hurts a bit.

Got vol 3 on it's way. Wish this Dark Circle line from Archie had done better. Really good stuff that either didn't sell or got postponed to work on the Riverdale TV show.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    I bought the issues as they came out and agree it was a fun read, but yeah, it's over really quickly. I think Campbell would be a good choice for a Sgt. Rock movie and reading it made me wonder if that might happen some day.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I'll pick this up if the price comes down in the UK. Highly unlikely but you never know. Hopefully there'll be a paperback if not.
    Yea it's 25 bucks cover price is a bit high. For a book I read in 25 minutes. Give DC this the few of their hardcovers I own are all so nice.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Sgt Rock vs The Army of the Dead was great. Good story amazing art,on the covers and interiors.

And it feels like Bruce Campbell is a Rock fan. Amazon had this on sale for like 12 to 15 bucks and it is worth that if you enjoy DC War stuff.
    I'll pick this up if the price comes down in the UK. Highly unlikely but you never know. Hopefully there'll be a paperback if not.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Sgt Rock vs The Army of the Dead was great. Good story amazing art,on the covers and interiors.

And it feels like Bruce Campbell is a Rock fan. Amazon had this on sale for like 12 to 15 bucks and it is worth that if you enjoy DC War stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post

I read the first two trades but I'm still debating if I'll pick up the third. I liked it but didn't love it. I'm kinda meh on his work overall.
    Loved Hip Hop Family Tree,never finished Wizzy Wigg. And Red Room is ok i guess. Not a big fan of his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I kind of have a soft spot for Sgt. Rock comics. Compared to British WW II comics, they were like bloody Shakespeare! I guess Bruce got ripped off on the Army of Darkness comics so can't begrudge him this.
    I need to read more UK WWII comics.

SGT Rock and the various Charlton late 70s War comics were things I read with my grandpa. At least one weekend a month I would go stay with them. And after church on Sunday he would take me to get the sunday paper,and I could grab 2 comics. Grandpa would grab a GI Combat or SGT rock and if those weren't in that newstand always had the Charlton War comics.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied

Got this in the mail today. Planning on reading it after dinner.
    I kind of have a soft spot for Sgt. Rock comics. Compared to British WW II comics, they were like bloody Shakespeare! I guess Bruce got ripped off on the Army of Darkness comics so can't begrudge him this.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied

Bought this when it came out. Had it sitting on the shelf. Plan was after dinner and getting the kitchen cleaned to read the first issue. Forgot that this issue was double sized.Ended up reading the entire trade and well...

Great art,everything I have seen from Ed Piskor has great art. But so far only Hip Hop Family Tree had a story that came close to the art. In Red Room vol 1 the story reads like something I would have written back when I was in high school and first reading all the splatterpunk authors.

Not gonna bother with the next two trades. But hey supposedly this first vol was a huge seller for Fantagraphics.
    I read the first two trades but I'm still debating if I'll pick up the third. I liked it but didn't love it. I'm kinda meh on his work overall.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied

Got this in the mail today. Planning on reading it after dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    I read all three volumes in single issues as they came out and felt that the second storyline was the best of the three.

And yeah, the artwork is great.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied

Bought this when it came out. Had it sitting on the shelf. Plan was after dinner and getting the kitchen cleaned to read the first issue. Forgot that this issue was double sized.Ended up reading the entire trade and well...

Great art,everything I have seen from Ed Piskor has great art. But so far only Hip Hop Family Tree had a story that came close to the art. In Red Room vol 1 the story reads like something I would have written back when I was in high school and first reading all the splatterpunk authors.

Not gonna bother with the next two trades. But hey supposedly this first vol was a huge seller for Fantagraphics.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Went and looked and all but hte last tpb of the run are cheapish. 10bucks each. That last one might cost mee 20 buck gonna go order a few in a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied

Read Prophet Vol 1 Remission today. Mom had a appointment at her pain management clinic. Never knowing how long a wait it will be brought the two pictured tpbs with me.

This tpb proves to me that Liefeld is a great idea guy,jjust need someone to refine his ideas into something that is great.

Anyone that has read the rest of this Prophet run,does it stay at this quality? If so I will go get the rest of the TPBs.
    I think so, mostly. The last tpb seems a bit brisk, IMO, but otherwise it's a real joy and kept surprising me along the way. The first trade barely scratches the surface of where everything is going. I think it's one of the better Image series, up there with Lazarus, Black Science, and anything Brubaker puts out. I recommend it highly and if you do continue with it I'd love to read your thoughts on it. It's a real trip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X