X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, those books are great.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Has anyone read his House on the Borderland? Great novel so I assume I'm on safe ground if I pick this up.
      agent999
      Last edited by agent999; 05-07-2021, 06:12 PM.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        You should post that video in the dollar in thread!
        HUh which thread is that. And got the video set up to appear on Wednesday

Comment

SATANIA
          Written by Fabien Vehlmann, Art by Kerascoí«t

While searching in a cave for her lost brother a woman and a search team get swept deep into the earth and they slowly descend into Hell. While trying to find a way out they learn how to survive in Hell's ever changing upside-down landscape, and still holding out hope she'll find her brother.

And what a journey it is! It starts with a team of folks from the local town, (somewhere unnamed in Europe), searching in a cave for a woman's lost brother. The brother is an author who wrote a book theorizing that Neanderthal man fled into the earth during the ice age and evolved into a different but intelligent creature than humans. Basically that what we think of as Hell and demons can be explained away by science.

This was an incredibly phantasmagoric journey that's similar to the authors previous work, BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS, its children's-book-like art belies the dark tale being told. The sense of dread and claustrophobia builds perfectly. The art from the husband/wife team, Kerascoí«t, is at times jaw dropping and stunning. They have an endless sense of imagination that even though it looks like a kid's book you believe that maybe this could be Hell. The first half takes place in dark caves and is mostly various shades of grey and brown, then it explodes in the second half into a vibrant collage of gorgeous watercolors depicting all kinds of gross creepy stuff. It's great.

Can't recommend it enough, or the author's previous book; Beautiful Darkness.
          And also with art by Kerascoí«t and written by Hubert; Beauty, Miss Don't Touch Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
            HUh which thread is that. And got the video set up to appear on Wednesday
            This one, forgive my typos.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...Diving!/page21

Scott, that book looks fantastic. Never heard of it before, thanks for the heads up.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Scott, that book looks fantastic. Never heard of it before, thanks for the heads up.

Ditto, both of those are now on my radar. Thanks so much for the pics.

Comment

You guys are welcome! Eventually I'll get around to the other Kerascoí«t books which are all pretty great, imo.

Comment

This one, forgive my typos.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...Diving!/page21

Cool that was the thread I plan on adding it to.

Comment

Comic books -- oooh yeah, I love comic books and drinkin weed and smoking bourbon!

I was fingering my collection and came across this underground gem...

I don't have many floppies left but I swear, every other one I do have is signed. I don't even remember getting this signed, I think it was at a panel promoting LEGEND, Dark Horse's then imprint for Frank Miller, Geof Darrow, Art Adams and Mike Mignola. This is the first issue of BIG GUY & RUSTY THE BOY ROBOT. Great dinosaury monster by Darrow!

I've been reading and collecting all the Modesty Blaise comics strips and have moved on to the wonderful prose novels by creator Peter O'Donnell. At the end of the story OLD ALEX in the final prose novel, COBRA TRAP, (which is a short story collection), Modesty calls an old man Toyboy, telling him if he was younger she'd make him her Toyboy. "Toyboy!", he exclaimed. What's that?

And in the last story of COBRA TRAP, Modesty dies. I read it about an hour ago and cried like a damn baby. That was fine pulp writin', O'Donnell, you cunt!
                    Scott
                    Intellectual Carrot
                    Last edited by Scott; 05-09-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Comic books -- oooh yeah, I love comic books and drinkin weed and smoking bourbon!

I was fingering my collection and came across this underground gem...

I like Cozmic Comics. I think this is my favorite.

https://www.comics.org/issue/278162/cover/4/

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        I've been reading and collecting all the Modesty Blaise comics strips
                        I've just started working my way though the Titan collections. Fantastic stuff, kicking myself for sleeping on these for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
                          I've just started working my way though the Titan collections. Fantastic stuff, kicking myself for sleeping on these for so long.
                          I began slowly picking them up starting maybe ten years ago? A lot of them were OOP and pretty pricey so I figured I'd never get them all. Then around the beginning of the pandemic I was able to score a handful of the scarcest volumes and a had a little over half to go. So I actively started trying to get the rest. I probably got half for under cover price, some as cheap 3-6 dollars! But towards the end it got really tough. I paid 70-80 dollars for a couple volumes and 50-60 for several more. DC also released a graphic novel based on the script for the film (minus all the jokey crap), and there was a graphic novel length strip that was only released in the reprint magazine COMICS REVUE, that was probably the hardest one to track down. Then I moved onto the prose novels.

I mostly shun completeness for completeness sake but I found over time, before I went in whole hog, that I enjoyed these comics more than any others in my collection. I found myself returning to and rereading them the most.

In one of the introductions to the Titan volumes a story is told by former DC editor Mike Gold:

In 1977 Mike Gold hosted the Writers Panel at the Chicago Comic Con. At the end they opened it up to questions and the first question was "Who is your favorite writer?" One by one each writer said "Roy Thomas" until they got to the end where Chris Claremont was sitting. He quietly spoke into the the microphone, "Peter O'Donnell." Each writer then revised their answer while apologizing to Roy. The audience looked on bewildered. They had no idea who Peter O'Donnell is.

Peter O'Donnell, the creator and writer of Modesty Blaise has since become my favorite writer. I wish I stumbled upon him earlier.

Comment

Speaking of Jeff Lemire, from the earlier SWEET TOOTH thread, I was rummaging through my books this weekend and was reminded of his GREEN ARROW run, which is awful! I'm not sure if I've ever read a more poorly written and plotted book. The art by Andrea Sorrentino is amazing but not worth the price of admission, IMO. I had read Andy Diggle and Jock's GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE right before it and figured they would have a similar feel. Boy was I wrong! YEAR ONE is great! I love Grell's Arrow and this seemed like a good enough fit. Maybe it was because Lemire's run was part of the Nu52 and they dumbed everything down but I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a book. I even bought all the trades at once in excited anticipation, something I rarely do and for good reason. I'd love to pick Lemire's brain about it.

Comment

Got in the tpb of Skrull Kill Krew vol 1 today,and it cost me less than a single issue of this what 4 issue mini cost me back in the day.

Tempted to make a 10 tpbs/hardcovers I bought in 2021 and never read vid.

EDIT make that 12 and counting TPBS/Hardcovers/OGNS I bought in 2021 and never read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leftsidetpbsboughtneverread2021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	359862Click image for larger version

Name:	rightside11tpbsboughtnotreadin2021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	359863
                              Most were either cheap used on Amazon/Ebay or found at Dirt Cheap for a buck or two.
                              Newt Cox
                              Last edited by Newt Cox; 05-11-2021, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Newt, THE ONE by Rick Veitch is pretty damn good, I need to pick up a copy of it some day. When I first started collecting I remember picking up a few issues and was blown away and confused by it. It changed the way I thought about comics at the time when I all I wanted was X-Men.

Comment

Working...
                                X