This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post

Pretty much any DC 70s war title I find for 2 bucks or less I will grab. Weird War Tales is always fun.Got one with a great cover of a wooly mammoth fighting some WWII soldiers
    I have that one! There's an early issue, #14 or maybe 17, that has Walt Simonson's first published work in it. I had him sign it at NYCC this year and he told me he hadn't seen a copy in years and wasn't sure if he'd ever signed one before! While I was at his table, I also had Louise Simonson sign my reprint of House Of Secrets #92 and she told me all about how she wound up modelling for Wrightson on that issue, who did her hair and what it was like hanging out with those guys back then. The Simonson's are an insanely nice couple and if you ever see them at a con near you, make the point of talking to them. They treat their fans really well.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

I have that one! There's an early issue, #14 or maybe 17, that has Walt Simonson's first published work in it. I had him sign it at NYCC this year and he told me he hadn't seen a copy in years and wasn't sure if he'd ever signed one before! While I was at his table, I also had Louise Simonson sign my reprint of House Of Secrets #92 and she told me all about how she wound up modelling for Wrightson on that issue, who did her hair and what it was like hanging out with those guys back then. The Simonson's are an insanely nice couple and if you ever see them at a con near you, make the point of talking to them. They treat their fans really well.

Sadly all the local and nearby cons book more TV and Movie celebs than comic people.

Still reading Teknophage vol 1 TPB. Good stuff. Pretty art does still have a bit of that early days of computer coloring look. Worth grabbing if you can find them cheap. I know there is a hardcover but it is even HTF.

Comment

• Another doc appointment had to drive mom to,this time read Ultimates vol 1 TPB 1.

Been close to 20 years since I read this. And feels odd. The story feels like it is flying by,but also padded. Like the first 2 issues could have been just 1 issue if you cut out some of the splash pages.

Still worth a read. And looking for cheap copies of the rest of the run in TPB.

Comment

• Marvel brought The Ultimate Universe back a few weeks ago, I read the first issue, or at least I tried to, but I couldn't finish it.

I do agree that some of the original Ultimate stories were pretty fun though.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Buddy told me to go read Kiladelphia from Image.

Got TPB vol 1 for Xmas. After dinner,as she cleaned the kitchen,I read the first tpb.

DAMN great art,a story that captured and kept my attention. And after finishing I passed it to her. She is halfway through it and has told me "go order vol 2 now".

Comment

• While this was a good read,and has great art,I question why Archie put out a pile of one shots instead of continuing the two main titles.

Comment

• Read Prophet Vol 1 Remission today. Mom had a appointment at her pain management clinic. Never knowing how long a wait it will be brought the two pictured tpbs with me.

This tpb proves to me that Liefeld is a great idea guy,jjust need someone to refine his ideas into something that is great.

Anyone that has read the rest of this Prophet run,does it stay at this quality? If so I will go get the rest of the TPBs.

Comment

Read Prophet Vol 1 Remission today. Mom had a appointment at her pain management clinic. Never knowing how long a wait it will be brought the two pictured tpbs with me.

This tpb proves to me that Liefeld is a great idea guy,jjust need someone to refine his ideas into something that is great.

Anyone that has read the rest of this Prophet run,does it stay at this quality? If so I will go get the rest of the TPBs.
                  I think so, mostly. The last tpb seems a bit brisk, IMO, but otherwise it's a real joy and kept surprising me along the way. The first trade barely scratches the surface of where everything is going. I think it's one of the better Image series, up there with Lazarus, Black Science, and anything Brubaker puts out. I recommend it highly and if you do continue with it I'd love to read your thoughts on it. It's a real trip.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Went and looked and all but hte last tpb of the run are cheapish. 10bucks each. That last one might cost mee 20 buck gonna go order a few in a bit.

Comment

• Bought this when it came out. Had it sitting on the shelf. Plan was after dinner and getting the kitchen cleaned to read the first issue. Forgot that this issue was double sized.Ended up reading the entire trade and well...

Great art,everything I have seen from Ed Piskor has great art. But so far only Hip Hop Family Tree had a story that came close to the art. In Red Room vol 1 the story reads like something I would have written back when I was in high school and first reading all the splatterpunk authors.

Not gonna bother with the next two trades. But hey supposedly this first vol was a huge seller for Fantagraphics.

Comment

• I read all three volumes in single issues as they came out and felt that the second storyline was the best of the three.

And yeah, the artwork is great.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Got this in the mail today. Planning on reading it after dinner.

Comment

Bought this when it came out. Had it sitting on the shelf. Plan was after dinner and getting the kitchen cleaned to read the first issue. Forgot that this issue was double sized.Ended up reading the entire trade and well...

Great art,everything I have seen from Ed Piskor has great art. But so far only Hip Hop Family Tree had a story that came close to the art. In Red Room vol 1 the story reads like something I would have written back when I was in high school and first reading all the splatterpunk authors.

Not gonna bother with the next two trades. But hey supposedly this first vol was a huge seller for Fantagraphics.
                            I read the first two trades but I'm still debating if I'll pick up the third. I liked it but didn't love it. I'm kinda meh on his work overall.
                            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Got this in the mail today. Planning on reading it after dinner.
                              I kind of have a soft spot for Sgt. Rock comics. Compared to British WW II comics, they were like bloody Shakespeare! I guess Bruce got ripped off on the Army of Darkness comics so can't begrudge him this.
                              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I kind of have a soft spot for Sgt. Rock comics. Compared to British WW II comics, they were like bloody Shakespeare! I guess Bruce got ripped off on the Army of Darkness comics so can't begrudge him this.
                                I need to read more UK WWII comics.

SGT Rock and the various Charlton late 70s War comics were things I read with my grandpa. At least one weekend a month I would go stay with them. And after church on Sunday he would take me to get the sunday paper,and I could grab 2 comics. Grandpa would grab a GI Combat or SGT rock and if those weren't in that newstand always had the Charlton War comics.

Comment

Working...
                                X