Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like i need to keep an eye out for that Moon Knight run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
      Sounds like i need to keep an eye out for that Moon Knight run.
      It's a nice mix of dark humor and standard superhero 'stuff.' MK has to keep a bad guy from getting a hold of a random Ultron head, haha.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Finished the Bendis Moon Knight run last night. Really fun stuff.

I also read Pitt #'s 9-13. I had the first couple of issues in the nineties and have been pulling them out of dollar bins again when I find them. I think Newt said a few pages back that the Full Bleed issues are tough to find and he's right. Anyway, this series isn't very well written, haha. It's mostly fight scenes. It had interesting ideas that aren't fully fleshed out but I do like the art and the nostalgia buzz I get from reading it.
        Lots of the early Image stuff had interesting ideas that weren't fully fleshed out in the comics. But oddly if you were reading piles of the comic mags at the time they were fully fleshed out in the various interviews the Image 7 did.

Does Dale Keown still do comic art? Feels like he did like Larry Stroman and got big bucks off Image then quit comics.

Comment

• He's been doing Maestro at Marvel recently.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/creators/241/dale_keown
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Maxine Manchester gets her own prestige format one-shot in LADYTRON, written by Joe Casey with art by Eric Canete.

Maxine is a great character and after having read through the first Joe Casey run I had high expectations for this. Can't say it really delivered. It's an odd story that shows her go from human to robot who falls in love with another robot but it never felt real. It's fun and frantic like a fever dream seen through Maxine's chaotic eyes, but it never really grabbed me.

The art by Eric Canete is pretty great but an odd fit. I'm a fan of his, he was one of the lead animators on AEON FLUX so his work always had a style reminiscent of Aeon's creator Peter Chung. I never realized he did work for Wildstorm. Previous to this he did a bunch of work for Danzig's comic line VEROTIK.

Worth checking out for fans of Ladytron. I expected something leaning more towards future noir given the cover's a homage to AKIRA. Instead it's an odd cartoony love story between murderous robots. I only paid 2 dollars for it so I can't complain.

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• WILDCATS Vol. 2, Issues #8-28 (Vicious Circles, Serial Boxes, Battery Park)
              Written by Joe Casey, Art by Sean Phillips and Steve Dillon

*SPOILERS ABOUND*

These books take the setup from the first six issues and turns everything into a slow burn dark noir. The WILDCATS team is effectively over after the death of Zealot. In the meantime Lord Emp (in his true alien form) dies so that he can ascend to a higher plain, or something. He leaves Halo Industries to Spartan who drops the whole superhero facade in favor of a CEO suit and tie. The human half of Void leaves the symbiote so that she can finally move into the afterlife with her family. With the symbiote's help Spartan is able to tap into another dimension's source of power to create batteries that last forever.

Meanwhile a serial killer with superpowers is murdering anyone with the last name of Marlowe, effectively looking to murder Lord Emp, who he doesn't know is already dead. Using a company credit card Pris unknowingly leads the killer into the home she's staying at with Jeremy.

While all this is going on Cole Cash is obsessed with the loss of Zealot and keeps picking up women who look like her for one night stands.

This was a fantastic set of books. It's too bad there isn't a hardcover that collects all four trades from the series. I'm pausing to read other things before I read 3.0 but I can't wait to see where it all goes. Almost as good as SLEEPER , imo. I'm so glad I finally read these.

Comment

• And a quick aside, these two bits were funny. One is "DEATH OF A LOSER" poster in the background of a bus stop with Jar Jar Binks in cross hairs. A volume or two later has a scene where apparently Maxine Manchester (with handle bars on her back) screwed C3PO to death.

They made me laugh.

Comment

• Oh this was a nice surprise! Year 2 of the 3.0 series showed up today. I was a little worried. I had to order it from the UK and I figured it would show up all banged up. It's in perfect condition! And even better, there's a sketch on the inside cover of Ladytron by Sean Phillips! Looks like sharpie over blue line pencil! I'm over the moon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Oh this was a nice surprise! Year 2 of the 3.0 series showed up today. I was a little worried. I had to order it from the UK and I figured it would show up all banged up. It's in perfect condition! And even better, there's a sketch on the inside cover of Ladytron by Sean Phillips! Looks like sharpie over blue line pencil! I'm over the moon.
                    That's fucking rad. Did I post a picture of the P. Craig Russell sketch I got inside a $0.99 book a few weeks ago? I think I did.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Was going through one of the 100 or so tubs and boxes in my room. Found what I'm pretty sure is a oversized collection of the first story line from Chaykin's American Flagg. Came out from First in 85,no clue where I got it from. But had the camera set up so took some pics.

Never read AF as it was coming out,the cost per issue kept me away. But in the 90s Image/valiant/gimmick comic boom I was digging those old AF issues out of the 10 cent/50 cent/buck comic bins at local stores. Great series that needs more attention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FcTs6Q6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	360407

Name:	b6ZBoGd.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	360408
                      Found a Chaykin Budda Budda Budda

Name:	LhWWJAg.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	360409

Name:	TLw8U1J.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	360410

Name:	S4hVJYl.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	360411

Never remember seeing this in comic shops. But I rarely saw tpbs/hardcovers/OGNs in comic shops. Most stores back then ordered enough to fill pulllists and one copy for the store shelf.

Didn't IDW or Boom put out a fairly decent chunk of AF? I know I got most of vol 1 and a good sizeable amount of vol 2 in issue form. But much easier to carry and read tpbs.

Comment

• And one more comic,this time a hardcover collection of a comic strip.

Name:	oYpPVkB.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	360412
                        Yep Peter Bagge's complete 2 year run on the Weekly World News' Bat Boy comic strip. As published by IDW. They must have way over printed this. Because for years you could find clearance copies for 5 bucks or so.

Name:	ic8FBGB.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	360413Click image for larger version

Name:	aO5NOtY.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	360414
                        Really fun series. Bagge just goes nuts of the pop culture of the era.

Name:	1wPbXQ3.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	360415Click image for larger version

Name:	6Nq54kV.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	360416

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          That's fucking rad. Did I post a picture of the P. Craig Russell sketch I got inside a $0.99 book a few weeks ago? I think I did.
                          Yeah that was awesome, what a find! I found books that were signed before but never one with sketches.

Comment

• Finished Ennis' Jimmy's Bastards nine issue run last night. Fun stuff, riffing on the Bond style super spy cliche. A very barb at Sean Connery in one issue. It's crass and sometimes very stupid but always funny. Good light reading that you can get through pretty quickly without having to think too much and, of course, hyper-violent, impressively so at times. It isn't a masterpiece but I put together the run from dollar bin pick ups and at that price I think it's well worth it.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Struck out on free comics, but they just put out some fresh $5 TPB's...

Name:	$5 TPBs.jpg
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	360432

They were also running a 'Buy one trade, get one 40% off'...

Name:	Blaise.jpg
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	360433

Comment

• Oh man those Modesty Blaise books are the absolute best. DEATH TRAP is one of the harder volumes to find at a reasonable price. Great group of books all around. I've been eyein' that Doctor Midnite book forever, let me know what you think of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X