No announcement yet.

Punisher Graphic Novel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than the early Zeck stuff I mostly gravitate toward the Ennis scripted war stuff exclusively. BORN is great as is PLATOON. PLATOON has art by Goran Parlov who also did FURY: MY WAR GONE BY, which I cannot recommend enough and they go great together. FURY MAX and FURY: PEACEMAKER also fit along the same lines. They're all Ennis scripted and either have artwork by Goran Parlov or Derrick Robertson and all have a similar tone. And that tone is awesome. All of them are incredible.

Aside from the original Zeck mini I really like the OGN PUNISHER: RETURN TO BIG NOTHING by Steve Grant. It was collected with some other Punisher OGNs but I always thought it would be better off being collected with the Grant/Zeck mini. Anyways, I like it a lot because again it has to do with Frank's time in the military and how he was bullied by one guy.

An older PUNISHER collection from the '90s that I like a lot is PUNISHER: BARBARIAN WITH A GUN by Chuck Dixon and John Buscema. It guest-stars Ice Phillips from The 'Nam and collects Punisher: War Zone #26-30. Buscema draws a great Frank with a beastly presence like he draws Conan. The story has Frank battling drug dealers in the Caribbean. The tropical jungle setting makes it feel closer to 'Nam and the war stories than the street level gangster stuff.

I think I like the war stuff with Frank and Nick the most because they are war stories first and aren't slaves to the greater Marvel Universe. At times everything doesn't always line up as far as previous character histories but who cares, the stories are great and grounded and that's all that matters.

For something more zany but doesn't star Frank I recommend PUNISHER PRESENTS: BARRACUDA, which again has art by Goran Parlov and is by Garth Ennis. It's a nice companion to the above Ennis War stuff.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Thanks for the detailed recommendations, Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
        Thanks for the detailed recommendations, Scott!
        You're welcome! If you read all the Garth Ennis Punisher you'll eventually come across most of this stuff anyway. I just like what Ennis was slowly building with all his war stories and felt like it should be highlighted. I feel like with Frank you have three routes to go; his stories based in the Marvel Universe where he's oddly presented as a superhero (with all the zany fantasy tropes that entails and cameos), his gritty street-level gangster stuff, and his war stories.

I guess you can lump in THE 'NAM with his war stuff too even if it doesn't star him, it's approach is along the same lines as what Ennis eventually does. That is, telling grounded war tales that don't end nice.

Comment

A left-field recommendation, but G.I. Joe: Special Missions was a lot more grounded than the main book was, and can be picked up pretty cheap in loose originals and trades. Similar vibe to some of the good Punisher stuff.

Comment

Anyone read Punisher: The End? I'm intrigued because it's Corben art and Ennis wrote it. Worth getting? It must be, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	358843
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If you can pick it up for a couple of bucks that would be the way to go. It is a rather downbeat story.
              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Thanks Gary.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Finished Punisher Max: Complete Collection Volume 1, and Volume 2 &3 just arrived. Loving this!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Banks View Post
                    If you can pick it up for a couple of bucks that would be the way to go. It is a rather downbeat story.
                    So I got a copy over the weekend and you weren't kidding, haha. Still, I really liked this. The story was clever and gripping and Corben's art was perfect. I didn't really know how I'd react to his Punisher but somehow his style really suits Castle as an old man, and he does a killer job on the post apocalyptic wasteland setting.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Well, I ended up getting MAX Complete Collection Volume 5, and after reading Volumes 1-4, what a letdown. The absence of Ennis is noticeable, and some of their art is ridiculous. Thankfully, my local comic shop didn't have it, so I don't feel too bad returning to amazon for the price of shipping. Garbage.

Comment

Well, I ended up getting MAX Complete Collection Volume 5, and after reading Volumes 1-4, what a letdown. The absence of Ennis is noticeable, and some of their art is ridiculous. Thankfully, my local comic shop didn't have it, so I don't feel too bad returning to amazon for the price of shipping. Garbage.
                        Those post-Ennis Punisher MAX books are pretty dire, IIRC. I took out some of the Becky Cloonan Punisher comics from the library at the end of last year, and they were pretty much a 'miss' too.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                          Those post-Ennis Punisher MAX books are pretty dire, IIRC. I took out some of the Becky Cloonan Punisher comics from the library at the end of last year, and they were pretty much a 'miss' too.
                          There was one story I liked, I think it was called Bayou, and a really short one called Dolls or something that I thought was nice. But yeah, compared to the quality of the first four...I have to pay 8 bucks shipping to send it back for a refund, and I don't have a problem with that lol.

Comment

I'd highly suggest picking up FURY MAX: MY WAR GONE BY. It's Ennis and Parlov going through each war with Nick Fury. In the Vietnam section you get Frank and the first time they meet Barracuda! Barracuda! In 'Nam! It goes perfect with PUNISHER: BORN.

I'd also add the prequel to BORN that is fairly recent, PUNISHER: THE PLATOON. Ennis and Parlov, again. More of the same in the best way.

Ennis also recently did PUNISHER: SOVIET with Jacen Burrows. I haven't read it but I'm sure it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              I'd highly suggest picking up FURY MAX: MY WAR GONE BY. It's Ennis and Parlov going through each war with Nick Fury. In the Vietnam section you get Frank and the first time they meet Barracuda! Barracuda! In 'Nam! It goes perfect with PUNISHER: BORN.

I'd also add the prequel to BORN that is fairly recent, PUNISHER: THE PLATOON. Ennis and Parlov, again. More of the same in the best way.

Ennis also recently did PUNISHER: SOVIET with Jacen Burrows. I haven't read it but I'm sure it's awesome.
                              Thanks, Scott! I think PLATOON was on my radar, but I'll check out the Fury one. And I freakin' LOVE Barracuda!!!

Comment

Thanks, Scott! I think PLATOON was on my radar, but I'll check out the Fury one. And I freakin' LOVE Barracuda!!!
                                Yeah Barracuda is great! His mini series is hilarious. I was also shocked Marvel published it.

Comment

Working...
                                X