Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IDW bringing back The Crow & Wrightson's Frankenstein!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDW bringing back The Crow & Wrightson's Frankenstein!

From Fangoria:

"IDW Publishing recently announced some news that should please longtime comic fans, namely two reboots of old favorites.

Many comic fans are rabid about Bernie Wrightson's 1983 FRANKENSTEIN adaptation, which pairs Mary Shelley's novel with extensively detailed artwork from Wrightson. And now IDW has just announced a new horror series called FRANKENSTEIN ALIVE, ALIVE! that is a sequel to Shelley's novel, penned by 30 DAYS OF NIGHT's Steve Niles and illustrated by Wrightson.

The comic will pick up immediately after Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. Wrightson apparently always considered a sequel and eventually brainstormed the concept with Niles. Their new collaboration examines the story from Frankenstein's perspective, and will span 13 issues, with full color and 32 pages each.

James O'Barr's much-loved THE CROW will also reappear, with a new series from IDW due out in 2012. The new comics will be based on O'Barr's classic, but will also have tie-ins to the upcoming film, which is currently in pre-production. IDW also promises reprints of some of the most beloved issues, as well as upcoming collector's editions of all THE CROW comics, which is an extensive body of work. The series has been bumped around from several different publishers over the years, starting with Caliber Press in 1989 and moving to Kitchen Sink Press, Random House and Image comics, with more spin-off series inspired by the 1994 film starring Brandon Lee.

Look for both THE CROW and FRANKENSTEIN ALIVE, ALIVE! in 2012."

No word yet on if O'Barr will be doing anything on the new Crow series though? I liked his original run but felt it went downhill once other people started dabbling with it.

More info on Frankenstein here:
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/1890/

More info on The Crow here:
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/1889/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Picked this up today, a couple of weeks but better late than never.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankenstein-Alive-Alive-1-00a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	338927

As a sequel to the original book, it's off to a pretty good start and fairly in keeping with what came before. Wrightson's art hasn't looked this good to my eyes in quite some time, it's great to see him back in fine form. It's a little short for a first issue, felt like it could and should have been about 5 pages longer but I definitely really enjoyed it and will be picking up the rest of the series as it comes out rather than wait for the trade (which is what I usually do these days).

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have the first issue of Frank. The art is indeed top notch Wrightson but I was a little let down with Niles' story. I'm a fan of his ordinarily but this one just didn't quite do it for me. I'm not giving up on the book yet though, it wouldn't be the first time I needed a couple issues to get into it.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Not a fan of Niles writing,So I will end up skipping Frankenstein. If O'Barr is writing the Crow I will read it,if not I will pass on that.

Comment

I can see why some folks don't dig Niles' stuff, but I think he's off to a good start with this one. I like the way they've got the Frankenstein monster kind of off on his own and living his life away from Victor, and I like that he's played as an intelligent creature rather than a shambling moron.

With that said, if it hadn't been Wrightson on the art, I'd have probably not paid any attention to it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"Their new collaboration examines the story from Frankenstein's perspective, and will span 13 issues, with full color and 32 pages each."

By the way, my copy is in black and white...wtf?

Comment

Mine is black and white and blue. I don't know that I'd say it's full color. I don't mind so much as it reminds me of the art Wrightson did for the Frankenstein book years back. And I still need to get that DH reissue...
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, I don't really mind just wondered why the PR says full color.

As far as Niles goes, I find his 30 Days stuff works best for me. I dig most of the trades I've read. I also liked Giant Monster, a simple story but it delivered exactly what it promised and was a fun read. I know Niles sometimes could be accused of a good idea that fails somewhat in execution.

Comment

His Criminal Macabre stuff was, I thought, kind of cool. And I dug 30 Days Of Night as well. The less said about The Nail, the better - aside from that, I can't think of what else I've read of his. I know he and Wrightson also did The Ghoul and I know I bought the 1st issue of it but it evidently left no impression on me whatsoever.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Cover for #2 which comes out in July, and covers for The Crow, also out in July. No mention of O'Barr on the cover.

Name:	frankensteinalive2.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	338931

Name:	crow1b.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	338932

Name:	crow1a.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	338933
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So (maybe not so surprisingly) apparantly the new Crow series stinks.

Anyone else bother with it?
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        So (maybe not so surprisingly) apparantly the new Crow series stinks.

Anyone else bother with it?
                        Nope......

Here is another negative review...
                        http://www.onegeeknation.com/2012/07...ew-the-crow-1/

and a SLIGHTLY better one

http://majorspoilers.com/2012/06/22/review-the-crow-1/

Artwork doesnt look right..and the story probably lacks the rage and feelings of O'Barr's original....

Comment

So is it just me or did Frankenstein Alive not make it past issue #2?
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh. I guess it's just happening really slowly.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is still happening, but yeah, still very slowly.

Name:	jv0JI6bI_2509131549391.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	344321
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X