No announcement yet.

Bargain Bin Diving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last weekend I was going through the $1 bin and I found this copy of Night Music signed by P. Craig Russell, so I bought it as I like the series and was missing this issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	360204

I didn't unbag it until last night, and when I opened it up, this sketch was inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	360205
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• HOLY SHIT. You find some great stuff in the cheap bins. Only signed comics I found in the buck bins was issue 2 of Team Anarchy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Last weekend I was going through the $1 bin and I found this copy of Night Music signed by P. Craig Russell, so I bought it as I like the series and was missing this issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27365[/ATTACH]

I didn't unbag it until last night, and when I opened it up, this sketch was inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27366[/ATTACH]

Wow, Ian, that is a nice find!

About the only signed book find I had, at least within the past 5-10 years, was I saw at goodwill there was an Ansel Adams hardcover book, with his photos and such. Super nice condition, and cheap, so, I bought it. Looking through the book later, I found that Ansel Adams had signed it. An interesting find for $3 or whatever that book cost me.

Now, back to comics. Eclipse and Pacific are 2 of my favorite comic companies ever. I never got much into the big ones, like Marvel, DC. Also, the newer ones around during the comics boom of the 90s - Image, Dark Horse, etc, they were alright, but I always found myself digging in back-issue bins looking for new-to-me stuff from Pacific and Eclipse. First Comics had some interesting stuff, for some reason "Corum" and "Whisper" comes to mind right away, but First Comics weren't in the same space as I'd put Pacific and Eclipse. I still go back over certain series from there - Twisted Tales, Tales of Terror, Alien Worlds, Alien Encounters, and also small mini-series, such as that comic Ian grabbed.

Oh, and I was typing about those DVD and Blu-ray dumps at Dollar Trees in another thread, but this comics thread does remind me of when First Comics shut down. I have to double check the date that happened... 1991 or so, that seems right. OK, back in 1991-1992, there was a time, when Dollar Tree stores had PILES of comic books from First Comics. I guess First Comics had to clear out a warehouse, or 2, or 3... of back issues, and they just liquidated them to Dollar Tree stores. I bought A LOT of issues of random stuff from First Comics back during that dump. I think the price was 5-for-$1, something really cheap. Whisper, Grim Jack, Corum, Lone Wolf and Cub, Nexus... Lone Wolf and Cub comics, those were a nice find back then, 5-for-$1 or so...

Throughout the 90s I could often find back issues at Dollar Tree stores, but not that often, and it would be a random mix of stuff. I recall finding The Thing mini-series from Dark Horse there, I forget what else. I haven't seen dumps of comics at a Dollar Tree store in a long time, though. That dump from First Comics was epic, though!

Comment

• ^ That's a ridiculous dollar find...

All Star Squadron #2/3/5/7/8/9/10/11/13/16/26/27
          B-Movie Presents #3 (Tasaa the Jungle Queen)
          Brave and the Bold #1/2/4 (1991 - Green Arrow/Butcher/Question)
          Dredd and Buried: Necropolis:The Judge Death Invasion: 1-5
          The Greatest Adventure #2/3/5/6/8/6
          JSA All Stars #3 (Dr. Fate)
          Newsboy Legion/Boy Commandos Special #1
          Samuree V1 #9, V2 #1/2, V3 #2

Comment

• I love All Star Squadron, I've got a complete run of it. That was a terrific book, Roy Thomas doing the characters he loved so much. DC really screwed him over with Crisis though, it basically killed the book.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Yeah, i was pretty geeked to find that many in the dollar bin. Somehow, i've never read any of these before. Just need to fill in the gaps now.

Comment

• I read ASS pretty much every month. Was one of the few DC titles I picked up every month.

Few years back out of a 50 cent bin I got almost the first 40 issues. Is Young All Stars worth grabbing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                  I read ASS pretty much every month. Was one of the few DC titles I picked up every month.

Few years back out of a 50 cent bin I got almost the first 40 issues. Is Young All Stars worth grabbing?
                  YAS is pretty good but I've always preferred Infinity Inc. The JSA made pretty regular appearances for a while in that book. I will say neither is as good as All Star Squadron.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Infinity Inc is another I need to read more of. Most of the 80s I wasn't into DC. Always saw the DC heroes back then just seemed corny and dated to me. Then The Question and Animal Man series started and the comic shop owner talked me into checking them out.

Comment

• I'm a big DC Comics fan, and I've always loved "All-Star Squadron" and "Infinity Inc.". I agree Roy Thomas is a great writer, and he had a real affection for WWII characters. Today I went to a comic and toy store, and while I didn't find any cheap $1 comics, I did come home with six comics and one magazine. I got "Infinity Inc." #8 ($2), "Infinity Inc. Special" #1 ($4), "Justice League of America" #207 with a cameo by All-Star Squadron ($5.50), "Justice League Europe" #3 ($3), "The Legion of Super-Heroes" #301 ($3.50) and "Jughead" #157 ($4.50), plus an issue of "Animerica", an anime magazine ($1). I guess "Animerica" was sort of a bargain bin item. The total was $23.50 but the owner let me have them for $20! Pretty nice of him. Of course the condition of these wasn't great. I had to scrape off a bit of crud from the "Justice League" comic and "Animerica" issue. The "Jughead" issue had a piece of paper taped to the inside back cover that said "Borrower's Name: 1. John", then 2 to 7 was blank. I guess only one person borrowed it! Thankfully I was able to peel the tape off easily, but there are stains on the back cover where the tape was and other places too. "Jughead" looks like it isn't meant to be read too many more times. The pages are yellow and it could fall apart any time now. It's from 1968.

Comment

• Nice finds James. It is rare I find any Archie comic in a comic shop that isn't well read.

Going Wednesday to the good comic shop. Last trip there I got a stack of stuff out of his "Kids comics buck an issue bin." Then loaded up on cheap tpbs/Hardcovers at Book a Million. Thinking this time I am gonna see what all the comic shop has in it's non-cheap bins.

Comment

• Some $1 and $0.50 books I scored this weekend...

Baker Street Sketchbook
                          Black Hammer 3 For $1
                          Night Music #4
                          Colonel Weird: Cosmagog #1
                          The Crow: Lethe #1-3
                          Negative Burn #11 (Moebius cover)
                          Thump'n Guts #1
                          Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #3, 4
                          Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #2
                          Before Watchmen: Rorschach #2
                          Darklon The Mystic #1
                          The Unknown Worlds Of Frank Brunner #1
                          Greater Mercury Comics Action #5, 6
                          Ashes #5
                          Tipper Gore's Comics And Stories #2
                          Shaolin Cowboy: Who'll Stop The Reign #1-3
                          Darque Razor #1
                          Saga Of The Swamp Thing #3-5
                          Deadman #5, 6 (Neal Adams reprints)
                          Marvel Comics Presents #76, 78 (Weapon X issues)
                          Unexpected #211-12

I also grabbed Haunted #1, the 1971 series from Charlton - it's an all Ditko issue with a killer cover. That was more than $1 though, hah.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Well learned today the comic shop I loved has closed.

Hit up a books a million that was having a big sale.

Alias Vol 1 TPB-$3
                            Dr Strange The last days of magic TPB-$3
                            That RL Stine Man Thing TPB-$1
                            Bloodstone& the legion of monsters TPB-$5
                            Strange Tales Hardcover-$4 this is the one with the Peter Bagge hulk cover.

Comment

• Dang, i've been looking for that Bloodstone trade. May have to run into town and check my B.A.M. Nevermind, just checked online and no one nearby has it. Looks like you got lucky
                              Spaghetti Monkey
                              Last edited by Spaghetti Monkey; 07-13-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• I think BAM had another copy. I will be heading there next week if they got it I shall grab it for ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X