This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    I just finished reading Mox by Jon Moxley. Probably one of the funniest and most enjoyable memoirs I have read since David Niven's and Michael Caine's first book, but definitely NOT as sophisticated!
    I think I'm getting a copy of that for Xmas. Mostly cause I was told "Newt you aren't allowed to buy the Moxley book",usually when she tells me that it is cause her or her parents already bought it for me.

My current book is More Sex Better Zen Faster bullets The Encyclopedia of Hong Kong Film by Stefan Hammond and Mike Williams. Found this cheap and wanted another reference book on Asian cinema.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
      I think I'm getting a copy of that for Xmas. Mostly cause I was told "Newt you aren't allowed to buy the Moxley book",usually when she tells me that it is cause her or her parents already bought it for me.

My current book is More Sex Better Zen Faster bullets The Encyclopedia of Hong Kong Film by Stefan Hammond and Mike Williams. Found this cheap and wanted another reference book on Asian cinema.
      That sounds like a good one, i will have to hunt it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        ...Woolrich...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28385[/ATTACH]
        I've got his collection NIGHT & FEAR sitting on my "to read" shelf. I should bump it up toward the top.
        Lorne Marshall
        Last edited by Lorne Marshall; 12-29-2021, 10:19 PM.
        VHS will never die!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
          I've got his collection NIGHT & FEAR sitting on my "to read" shelf. I should bump it up toward the top.
          He's terrific! It doesn't get much bleaker than Woolrich. His "Black" series of novels - Rendezvous in Black, The Bride Wore Black, The Black Path of Fear, etc...are all worth hunting down. He also wrote under the names William Irish - Phantom Lady and George Hopley - Night Has a Thousand Eyes.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Did an early gift exchange with a buddy and got these, they're both cool as hell. Vintage western and men's adventure paperback reviews.

Click image for larger version

Name:	53375205._SX318_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	361028 Click image for larger version

Name:	men of violence fr cover0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	361029
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Just finished reading Will Maclean's THE APPARITION PHASE. This is excellent. I can recommend it very highly. The narrative takes place in Britain in the 70s, and there are plentiful references to Harry Price et al. I don't want to say too much for fear of giving the plot away.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                Did an early gift exchange with a buddy and got these, they're both cool as hell. Vintage western and men's adventure paperback reviews.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28404[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28405[/ATTACH]
                I got that Men of Violence zine. It is a great read.

Comment

• Another couple of YEAR'S BEST HORROR STORIES are in the books (yep, I wrote that), and as I go through these, I've begun thinking less and less highly of Karl Edward Wagner's selection prowess.

From #15, I did enjoy "The Yougoslaves" by Robert Bloch (making his return here after a decade's absence), "Bird in a Wrought Iron Cage" by John Alfred Taylor (the shortest offering so far in the series, I believe), "In the Hour Before Dawn" by Brad Strickland (another very short one), and "Acquiring a Family" by R. Chetwynd-Hayes (finally, a ghost story I liked). Two that get an honorable mention are "The Man Who Did Tricks with Glass" by Ron Wolfe (kudos for a daring effort) and Brian Lumley's "Necros" (maybe a tad too conventional). I almost liked Dennis Etchison's offering "The Olympic Runner," and then discovered that similar to a lot of his other works, he couldn't think of an ending. (It later won an award, so who am I to judge?) "Take the 'A' Train" by Wayne Allen Sallee is the first sequel in the series, as it's the follow-up to the previous book's "Rapid Transit," which the editor states "created some controversy." I know I'm supposed to like Wayne Allen Sallee. I just can't bring myself to do so.

From YBHS #16, stories I liked were "Popsy" by Stephen King, the phenomenal "Neighborhood Watch" by Greg Egan, "Wolf/Child" by Jane Yolen (another conventional but good tale), "Echoes from the Abby" by Sheila Hodgson (at least the ghost stories are getting better), "Visitors" by Jack Dann, and "The Thin People" by Brian Lumley (improving the further away from Lovecraft he has strayed, in my opinion). That last one in the list somewhat anticipated creepy legends of the current era, like Slender Man and others. Curiously, it was juxtaposed with Michael Shea's "Fat Face," a less satisfying horror/sci-fi that fully embraced HPL. This volume also has a first, the repeat of a title: "The Scar," this time from Dennis Etchison (I prefer RC's story under that name in #1). And when hearing that M. John Harrison and Steve Sneyd had contributed the two worst stories thus far in the series, writer t. Winter-Damon [sic] exclaimed, "Hold my Lowenbrau!" and thus "Martyr without Canon" was born. To be fair, it's not really a story, but rather some kind of experimental poetry that's really not my cup of tea.
                  Lorne Marshall
                  Last edited by Lorne Marshall; 12-31-2021, 04:33 PM.
                  VHS will never die!

Comment

• I finished two more of the novels from the shelf of titles I bought many years ago when I was inspired by the website that predated Too Much Horror Fiction. NOAH'S CASTLE by John Rowe Townsend seemed to be written for young adults, as it pulled its punches a lot, and no one ever died. As research revealed, it was. Still, this story about a father trying to protect his family from an impending economic collapse by hoarding resources featured characters that I thought were well-drawn. I suppose it could be classified as survivalist science fiction. I learned there was a 1979 show (more of a mini-series, it seems) made from this. Maybe I'll check it out someday.

I really messed up with TIME OF THE ANGELS by Iris Murdoch. I guess it was some of the blurbs on the back and front covers that fooled me into perceiving it as something it's not, describing it as "Black magic," a work that would "haunt the reader," and even "Pure horror!" Instead, it was a rather drab, gothic drama stuffed with philosophical ramblings, with a little bit of incest thrown in to make things somewhat interesting. Murdoch is another famous author about whom I knew nothing about. Again, my bad.
                    VHS will never die!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
                      I finished two more of the novels from the shelf of titles I bought many years ago when I was inspired by the website that predated Too Much Horror Fiction. NOAH'S CASTLE by John Rowe Townsend seemed to be written for young adults, as it pulled its punches a lot, and no one ever died. As research revealed, it was. Still, this story about a father trying to protect his family from an impending economic collapse by hoarding resources featured characters that I thought were well-drawn. I suppose it could be classified as survivalist science fiction. I learned there was a 1979 show (more of a mini-series, it seems) made from this. Maybe I'll check it out someday.

I really messed up with TIME OF THE ANGELS by Iris Murdoch. I guess it was some of the blurbs on the back and front covers that fooled me into perceiving it as something it's not, describing it as "Black magic," a work that would "haunt the reader," and even "Pure horror!" Instead, it was a rather drab, gothic drama stuffed with philosophical ramblings, with a little bit of incest thrown in to make things somewhat interesting. Murdoch is another famous author about whom I knew nothing about. Again, my bad.
                      I read Noah's Castle when I was a kid after seeing the TV series. Must be damn near 40 years ago! Jesus, I hate ageing.
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Got in 4 books today.

Looking at the Lights My Path from Fan to a Wrestling Heel By Pete Gas-Pete was a childhood friend of Shane McMahon. And in the Attitude era he got trained and became part of the Mean Street Posse. I had found a love of oddball wrestling bios. And I had some Amazon Gift Card money to spend.

Braindroppings By George Carlin-Had a paperback copy of this for a long ass time. And have read it so many times it is falling apart. So when I found this at the thrift for 75 cents I couldn't pass it up.

On Writing by Stephan King-Another I had in paperback that was falling apart from being read so many times. Was also 75 cents at the thrift.

American Again by Stephen Colbert-Never read this but it being in 3d and 75 cents I couldn't pass it up.

Odds are good the Pete Gas book will be read first. Then the other three will sit on top the "needs to be read" pile

Comment

• Finally got to crack the authorized Shane Macgowan biography by Richard BALLS.

It's good so far, but still early in.

Comment

• Got in a crappy Lucha history book yesterday. Thing was only 70 pages and cost 10 bucks. Appears the author just took a few lucha wiki articles and slightly re-wrote them. I should have read the customer reviews on Amazon before ordering this crap book.

Comment

• I finished Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh and started Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorp, which was adapted to the screen as Die Hard, and is the sequel to The Detective, which was made into a movie starring Frank Sinatra. It's good, and they changed a fair bit in Die Hard, it'll be intersting to see how things differ as more of the book passes.

Comment

• Read the first three chapters of Noddy Holder's autobiography last night, it's a fun read so far. Nothing serious or deep, sounds like he had a nice enough childhood. I didn't realize he was so young when he started playing live, pre-Slade. He tells a crazy story about his time in Hamburg where he ran out of money and a pervy old man paid him a weeks' wages to take a dump on a sheet of glass while he lied underneath it, haha.
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X