This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I just got CULT MOVIES Volumes 1-3, so I guess I'm gonna read those next.
    The Danny Peary books? Those were seminal for me back in the day. The first one in particular was an eye opener for me as a budding young film buff.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      The Danny Peary books? Those were seminal for me back in the day. The first one in particular was an eye opener for me as a budding young film buff.
      Those are the ones. A friend was getting rid of a bunch of books and those ones were in there as well.

Comment

• Nice finds Mark. I got all three. Got 1 and 3 from library book sales. Then bought 2 years later off Abebooks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
          Nice finds Mark. I got all three. Got 1 and 3 from library book sales. Then bought 2 years later off Abebooks.
          Oh, cool! Yeah, got a few other film books as well, one nice one about films from the 80's (including Robocop) with big glossy, coffee table-book pages.

Comment

• Check out these amazingly lurid vintage book covers (some nudity shown) - https://www.pulpinternational.com/
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              Check out these amazingly lurid vintage book covers (some nudity shown) - https://www.pulpinternational.com/
              Nudity you say?! .... Those are pretty cool!
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Pulp International is a great site. NSFW or otherwise, a daily visit has been keeping me sane at work for what feels like centuries at this point.
                https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Nudity you say?! .... Those are pretty cool!
                  Strange Relatives is so disturbing and awesome, haha.

BW, that site is great, I check it daily too. In addition to the cool stuff they post, they have a wicked sense of humor.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Finished Die Hard. It's a good read. That said all the changes from the book to the film were wise moves. Much better having MacClane be in his 30s and non descript rather than a hero in his 60s. You worry about the old guy breaking in half with all the damage he takes. The love story(?) with the stewardess on the outside was totally needless and, frankly, rather silly. But a good read.

Onto 58 Minutes now or, as I prefer to call it, Die Hard 2. The cover actually has Die Hard 2 in bold with 58 minutes in small print underneath.
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Finished Die Hard. It's a good read. That said all the changes from the book to the film were wise moves. Much better having MacClane be in his 30s and non descript rather than a hero in his 60s. You worry about the old guy breaking in half with all the damage he takes. The love story(?) with the stewardess on the outside was totally needless and, frankly, rather silly. But a good read.

Onto 58 Minutes now or, as I prefer to call it, Die Hard 2. The cover actually has Die Hard 2 in bold with 58 minutes in small print underneath.
                      I read Die Hard in grade 10, it was awesome.

Comment

Finished Die Hard. It's a good read. That said all the changes from the book to the film were wise moves. Much better having MacClane be in his 30s and non descript rather than a hero in his 60s. You worry about the old guy breaking in half with all the damage he takes. The love story(?) with the stewardess on the outside was totally needless and, frankly, rather silly. But a good read.

By Walter Wager? I read that when DIE HARD 2 came out and seem to recall finding it quite a plod. That was 30 years ago, though.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Finished Hollywood Babylon recently. Started the Dee Dee Ramone Biography,Lobotomy I think is the title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                            Finished Hollywood Babylon recently.
                            Hot diggity! That's a good one.

Recently finished Jim Thompson's KING BLOOD. Weird, mean and cruel... just how I like my literature. This one is seriously wacked, even by Thompson's standards. Starts with a main character fantasising rape, works in a little history and cod-autobiography, climaxes with the genital mutilation of a serial killer, and ends with two antagonistic characters essentially slapping one another on the back. Taken a week or so for it to sink in, but... Highly recommended.

Currently reading Daisy Johnson's FEN. Some really interesting folk horror-style stories. The fens are very close to me, and the eeriness of the landscape there is something I'm very familiar with, so this speaks a lot to me. Good stuff.

'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Lobotomy is pretty good. About a third of the way into it. Just got to the point when the Ramones are about to get a record deal.

Comment

• It's been a few weeks since I finished reading THE YEAR'S BEST HORROR STORIES #3 and #4. The only one I fully enjoyed in the former was "Judas Story" by Brian Stableford, but I'll give honorable mention to Allan Weiss's "Satanesque," as I could imagine it being filmed in the 70's as a low budget effort starring L. Q. Jones and Strother Martin. I fared better with the latter volume, liking "Forever Stand the Stones" (Joseph F. Pumilia), "And Don't Forget the One Red Rose" (Avram Davidson), "Something Had to Be Done" (the always reliable David Drake), "The Glove" (ditto for Fritz Leiber), and "No Way Home" (Brian Lumley).

The novel I pulled off my "to read" shelf was Rick R. Reed's OBSESSED, one of the 45 books that came out as part of the extreme Abyss line of Dell Publishing in the early 90's, which PAPERBACKS FROM HELL profiled. This was kind of a sick thriller, worthy of Mr. Laymon himself. It wouldn't surprise me if Stephen King had read this and tried to improve (and soften) the plot by creating his own version (A GOOD MARRIAGE), as it too involves a woman facing a dilemma when she discovers her husband is a serial murderer. I was kinda diggin' it till the groan-inducing last 60 pages, when not once but twice, the wife ventures to the same dark warehouse to meet her killer husband, returning there even after having been brutally attacked, raped, and mutilated by him during the first rendezvous!

And from my "to complete" shelf I chose BEST NEW HORROR #3, which pleased me much more than #6 (I'm not reading these in order, as I don't have the entire collection). This one included tales by authors who don't always please me ("Where Flies are Born" by Douglas Clegg, "The Slug" by Karl Edward Wagner, and "When They Gave Us Memory" by Dennis Etchison), as well as ones by writers I generally like ("The Miracle Mile" by Robert R. McCammon, "Raymond" by Nancy A. Collins, "Blood Sky" by William F. Nolan, and the novella "The Dreams of Dr. Ladybank" by Thomas Tessier). A few of my least favorite were ones by Ramsey Campbell wannabes (more about him in a future post).

I've since moved on to subsequent volumes of THE YEAR'S BEST HORROR STORIES; am about a quarter of the way through Dean Koontz's COLD FIRE (from "to read" shelf, and fantastic so far); and am a third of the way through the 17th edition of the Ellen Datlow-edited series THE BEST OF FANTASY AND HORROR (from "to complete" shelf, and another series for which I do not have the entire collection).
                                VHS will never die!

Comment

Working...
                                X