Absolute Swamp Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute Swamp Thing

I didn't realize that this came out today.

'(W) Alan Moore (A) Shawn McManus, Dan Day, Rick Veitch, Alfredo Alcala, Others (A/CA) Stephen R. Bissette, John Totleben

Alan Moore's legendary run of Swamp Thing tales is collected in Absolute format at last, completely recolored for this new edition! This first of three volumes includes Moore's first Swamp Thing story, issue #20's "Loose Ends," a prelude to his haunting origin story, "The Anatomy Lesson," which reshapes Swamp Thing's mythology with terrifying revelations. Collects Saga Of The Swamp Thing #20-34 and Swamp Thing Annual #2."

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR190601

Click image for larger version

Name:	swamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	370028
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll have to check this out.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Got this for my birthday from Alison and it's fucking beautiful. And VERY heavy, haha. Like, it's exercise reading it. Such a nice presentation though, a felt cover with a sturdy slipcover and a stitched in cloth bookmark.

I've never read the Moore run in its entirety from start to finish, I read most of it in the 90s but by grabbing back issues here and there so it was all out of order and I never did complete it, so it's a bit of a treat to be able to go through the first chunk of it in order.

Anyway, I don't have to tell anyone familiar with it how great it is. So above most other 'mainstream' comics of the time in terms of concept and what not. I also really love Totleben and Bissette's artwork too. Some have taken issue with the recoloring in this edition, which is fair enough, I get it, but I think it looks really nice.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Got this for my birthday from Alison and it's fucking beautiful. And VERY heavy, haha. Like, it's exercise reading it. Such a nice presentation though, a felt cover with a sturdy slipcover and a stitched in cloth bookmark.

I've never read the Moore run in its entirety from start to finish, I read most of it in the 90s but by grabbing back issues here and there so it was all out of order and I never did complete it, so it's a bit of a treat to be able to go through the first chunk of it in order.

Anyway, I don't have to tell anyone familiar with it how great it is. So above most other 'mainstream' comics of the time in terms of concept and what not. I also really love Totleben and Bissette's artwork too. Some have taken issue with the recoloring in this edition, which is fair enough, I get it, but I think it looks really nice.
        I'm jealous, Ian. Those Swamp Thing comics are damned good.

By contrast, I got socks for my birthday :(
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I'd kill for an Absolute Ambush Bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            I'm jealous, Ian. Those Swamp Thing comics are damned good.

By contrast, I got socks for my birthday :(
            Socks are useful, at least!

The problem with going through the 'Essential' Volume One book is that Volume Two doesn't look like it's coming out until October of this year and by the looks of things, there will have to be a Volume Three as well, which I figure will be sometimes in early 2021. So it's going to be a while before I can finish the run, unless DC decides to speed up the schedule. I could go out and get the other collected versions... but then they won't look awesome together on my shelf and that would make me sad.

I realize that there are much, much bigger issues in the world these days, but I tend to obsess over things like this, so yeah.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              Socks are useful, at least!

The problem with going through the 'Essential' Volume One book is that Volume Two doesn't look like it's coming out until October of this year and by the looks of things, there will have to be a Volume Three as well, which I figure will be sometimes in early 2021. So it's going to be a while before I can finish the run, unless DC decides to speed up the schedule. I could go out and get the other collected versions... but then they won't look awesome together on my shelf and that would make me sad.

I realize that there are much, much bigger issues in the world these days, but I tend to obsess over things like this, so yeah.
              All I can say is, good things come to those who wait (to quote the Guinness ads).
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Charles Vess should have done more Swamp Thing art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vess.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	358445
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wish Sam Keith had a long Swamp thing run.

Comment

One super rad thing about the Absolute Swamp Thing hardcover is that in addition to the comics themselves, there's a pretty substantial gallery showing off a lot of concept work by Bissette and Totleben as well as a few pages of text explaining their process early on in their work on the run. Some of the pencil art included here is crazy good and to the best of my knowledge hasn't been reproduced anywhere else (though I could be wrong on that).
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So, still on a Swamp Thing kick. Ordered the Bronze Age Omnibus which has everything up to the content in the Absolute Swamp Thing collection I got for my birthday.

Also did some dollar bin diving at the local comic store on Sat. and pulled out the first issue of the 6 issue Len Wein/Kelly Jones series (which was really good, now I need to get the other 5) and issues 2-15 of the Scott Snyder 'New 52' run. Only read issue 2 so far, without the benefit of having read the 1st issue, but it was interesting enough.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So 8 issues into the new 52 series and, while it takes 7 issues for Swamp Thing to really appear, it's not bad at all. The first few issues are a bit of a revolving door in terms of who does the art but at least the artists used have a reasonably compatible style so it isn't so jarring. For $1 a piece, I'm happy with the series so far even if it isn't anywhere near the level of the Moore run. I'll probably try to complete the run if I can find the later issues around the same price, which means I'll be doing some bargain bin digging at the two or three LCS' in this part of NYC over the coming weeks.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

7 issues for the title character do really appear?? Why call it Swamp Thing?

Comment

The new 52 series are all basically reboots to a certain extent, and if I explained why, it'd be spoiling it.

And if you don't care about it being spoiled, then fine, I'll explain.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh, also Francovilla draws an issue of the series, which is 100% awesome.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X