Rad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FNAK5l7WQAQVKxB.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	388356
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So, finished Absolute Swamp Thing Vol. 3 last night, which completes the Moore run. My first time reading it all in its proper sequence. I remember reading a few of the later issues from the run as a kid, literally like 12 or so, and not getting it, the Loving The Alien' issue in particular made no sense to me back then. No, imagine, in context it turns out to be an amazing piece of work. Anyway, it started to lose me a bit when ST went into space, but Moore brought it all back in for a really strong and genuinely moving finish. Is it weird to get a little teary eyed from a Swamp Thing comic? Probably, but that didn't stop me.

The digital recoloring in the Absolute versions seemed more obvious to me in this third volume than in the first two, and I think I would have preferred if DC hadn't done that, but it sure is nice having these in oversized volumes regardless, and some of the bonus material in the back pages, including a full script from Moore and some neat pictures of a Swamp Thing model that Totleben made as reference when he was working on the book are great to see. This volume also includes the episode of DC Comics Presents that Moore wrote where Swamp Thing teams up with Superman, a nice extra.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Up for auction now at Comic Link.

Name:	FQGo5qxWUAEqNiq.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	390952
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	FQUFLtaWQAUmHGy.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	391182
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So I grabbed the Absolute edition of the Wrightson/Wein run and it's a really nice edition. A lot of great extra material including reference photos for HOS #92 and a lot of sketch art and what not.

There was a lot of questioning as to how the coloring would be done, as the earlier reprints of that material differed a lot from the original comics.

Jose Villaruba, who handled it and who is an admitted Wrightson fanatic, posted this:

"From a colorist's perspective.
            Now that it is for sale, I can finally explain and show what I did in my restoration of Absolute Swamp Thing by Bernie Wrightson and Nestor Redondo.
            On the top left is an unretouched scan of my copy of #5. Next to it is my restoration: I followed the colors very faithfully, accounting for the fact that in the past forty years, the newsprint has yellowed and the colors have faded slightly. I scanned fresh sheets of newsprint to add the slight grey/cream tone of the original paper and the tooth of the paper. Below is the recoloring for the 1986 reprint, the color that has been used since then, as in 2017."

Name:	321483897_475695711384631_656460959773726784_n.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	407061
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rad.

Name:	Fswb6m_WwAEhnD5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	412212
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This just came out!

https://amzn.to/3sUNIjK

Born On The Bayou - A Pre-Flashpoint Chronology Of Swamp Thing And Hellblazer

A Muck-Encrusted Mockery of a Timeline

It all began in 1971, when writer Len Wein and artist Bernie Wrightson introduced a sympathetic bog-monster who was more than his horrifying exterior conveyed. But there was Moore to come—Alan Moore, to be exact—and it transformed the comics world.

Wein and Wrightson’s story “Swamp Thing,” published in DC Comics’ The House of Secrets #92, launched an extraordinary saga. The resultant Swamp Thing monthly title chronicled the macabre exploits of scientist-turned-plant Alec Holland, and it introduced chain-smoking occultist John Constantine, ushering in his acclaimed spinoff, Hellblazer.

Alec Holland and John Constantine: distinctively different, yet inextricably intertwined. Born on the Bayou examines every comic, novel, and short story—approximately a thousand tales—to feature the mossy elemental or the British mage before 2011’s Flashpoint. Featuring a foreword by Swamp Thing writer-artist and Constantine co-creator Stephen R. Bissette, plus an afterword by comics historian John E. Boylan.

Name:	377689880_1051708019487909_8293423390623218392_n.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	419999

Name:	377579061_1051708046154573_8546584403964079557_n.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	419998
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Really solid breakdown of Swamp Thing #57 from the Moore run.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Swamp Thing 21 changed the way I viewed comics forever as a 10 year old. In my town, the only place that carried American comics was the Safeway supermarket. I saw a copy of that on the shelf and was completely blown away. I didn't look at another superhero comic for five years after that.
                    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                      Swamp Thing 21 changed the way I viewed comics forever as a 10 year old. In my town, the only place that carried American comics was the Safeway supermarket. I saw a copy of that on the shelf and was completely blown away. I didn't look at another superhero comic for five years after that.
                      Did the same for me. I was 8 or 9. And it became my can miss title each month.

I got my comics from K&B Drugs,FoodWorld and Waldens Books. Once Swamp Thing left newstands I had to rely on Waldens to get my issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Really solid breakdown of Swamp Thing #57 from the Moore run.

Watched it yesterday and they do a good job.

Comment

Working...
                        X