No announcement yet.

Absolute Swamp Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the first few issues of Snyder's reboot but it's been several years since I read them. I recall liking them to a certain extent, but as you say, it pales in comparison to Moore's run. I lost interest in The New 52 pretty quickly across the board, in fact, that's the last time I bought new superhero comics.

I really like some of Snyder's stuff, particularly his horror work. Severed, a limited series he did for Image is still the best thing he's done imo, genuinely creepy and disturbing.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      I have the first few issues of Snyder's reboot but it's been several years since I read them. I recall liking them to a certain extent, but as you say, it pales in comparison to Moore's run. I lost interest in The New 52 pretty quickly across the board, in fact, that's the last time I bought new superhero comics.
      Ha, it's the first 'modern' mainstream book I've bought in quite some time. At a $1 an issue, I figured why not. I'm at the point now where it's going to cross over with over New 52 books though, and I don't know if I care enough to track down Animal Man back issues to complete the story or not...

I really like some of Snyder's stuff, particularly his horror work. Severed, a limited series he did for Image is still the best thing he's done imo, genuinely creepy and disturbing.
      I am not familiar with that series but will keep an eye out for it. Your recommendations are always pretty spot on!
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You know, this thread reminded me that I received The Bronze Age Swamp Thing Vol. 1 TP last Christmas and still haven't cracked it open. It collects the original Swampy short story from House of Secrets #92 and Swamp Thing 1-13, all of Wein and Wrightson's original run. It's next up after I finish the novel I'm currently reading.

Comment

You know, this thread reminded me that I received The Bronze Age Swamp Thing Vol. 1 TP last Christmas and still haven't cracked it open. It collects the original Swampy short story from House of Secrets #92 and Swamp Thing 1-13, all of Wein and Wrightson's original run. It's next up after I finish the novel I'm currently reading.
          I have a digest version of that from years ago. I never could get my head around the time period that it takes place in. Obviously Wrightson is a master, but I really only like the Moore run story-wise. I randomly got the Anatomy Lesson Moore Swampy comic when I was 11, I was blown away by the Bissette artwork. One of the major factors that got me into horror along with seeing Poltergeist and Halloween around the same time.
          agent999
          Last edited by agent999; 07-10-2020, 10:52 AM.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
            I have a digest version of that from years ago. I never could get my head around the time period that it takes place in. Obviously Wrightson is a master, but I really only like the Moore run story-wise. I randomly got the Anatomy Lesson Moore Swampy comic when I was 11, I was blown away by the Bissette artwork. One of the major factors that got me into horror along with seeing Poltergeist and Halloween around the same time.
            I bought an issue here and there during Wein and Wrightson's original run but I don't think I've ever read the entire thing. I'll be interested to see how it strikes me now. Although it's not really fair, I'm sure it'll be nigh impossible to avoid comparing it to Moore and Bissette - and yes, the latter's art is truly awesome.

Comment

I prefer the Wrightson run. I'm odd. It has a great classic horror feel. I look forward to reading what you think about it, Andrew.
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I prefer the Wrightson run. I'm odd. It has a great classic horror feel. I look forward to reading what you think about it, Andrew.
                The Wein/Wrightson run and the Moore run are so completely different I think it's unfair in a way to compare them. The original is a great work of timeless gothic horror, a classic monster story, whereas Moore's run just goes so high concept at times that I don't even really know what it is, I only know that I love it. But those Wrightson issues are some of my favorite comic books of all time, I must have re-read it at least 5 times at this point and, when the Bronze Age Omnibus shows up next week, I'll re-read it again as well as the non-Wrightson issues of the original run (which I don't think I've read all the way through).
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  The Wein/Wrightson run and the Moore run are so completely different I think it's unfair in a way to compare them. The original is a great work of timeless gothic horror, a classic monster story, whereas Moore's run just goes so high concept at times that I don't even really know what it is, I only know that I love it. But those Wrightson issues are some of my favorite comic books of all time, I must have re-read it at least 5 times at this point and, when the Bronze Age Omnibus shows up next week, I'll re-read it again as well as the non-Wrightson issues of the original run (which I don't think I've read all the way through).
                  Absolutely!
                  The Moore Swamp Thing comics were some of the first comics I was exposed to when I was about nine years old. Me and my friends were floored by the Gotham story with Abby being arrested and Swamp Thing taking over the city. And "My Blue Heaven" might very well be the single comic that made me a lifelong fan. I haven't read that issue in a couple decades but looking at it now it looks and reads like a perfect Matt Allison comic.

The first time I read all the Wrightson issues was in the ROOTS OF SWAMP THING hardcover from 2009 that collects #1-12. I've re-read that book a lot too. I've never read the rest of the series but I'm not double dippin' on the Omnis. Maybe if a paperback comes out down the road. I'm pretty happy with the ROOTS book.
                  "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Swamp Thing Halloween Special coming out in October.

https://horrorpatch.com/2020/07/10/d...1-this-october
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There's a pretty epic interview with Bissette here:

Also, I didn't realize, until I watched this video last night, that the Essential Vertigo Swamp Thing reprints are in black and white, which means now I want to track them down.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So my copy of the Bronze Age Omnibus hardcover showed up the other day, this thing weighs a ton. Much heavier than I expect it to be. Only flipped through it so far but it looks nice.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EeN4hpmVAAAjPEt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	358663
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So made it most of the way through the original 70's run. Obviously the Wrightson stuff is legendary, and rightly so, but this time around I've got to say that Nestor Redondo's artwork is really solid. The writing goes downhill once Wein leaves (sending Swamp Thing into space was fucking dumb) but at least the pictures are pretty. Great detail, nice creature design, Swamp Thing looks bad ass. I don't think I know Redeondo from anything else but I might need to check out more of his work.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Continuing through the Bronze Age Omnibus, it's kind of annoying that the original series ends without really finishing the story, promising that Swamp Thing and Hawkman are gonna hang out in Portland, Or. and then Saga starts and fails to address some of those loose ends. It's interesting to see Tom Yeates' art improve over those first few Saga issues though.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Continuing through the Bronze Age Omnibus, it's kind of annoying that the original series ends without really finishing the story, promising that Swamp Thing and Hawkman are gonna hang out in Portland, Or. and then Saga starts and fails to address some of those loose ends. It's interesting to see Tom Yeates' art improve over those first few Saga issues though.
                                Well, that's because Carmine Infantino (the publisher) ordered Hawkman to be inserted into the series and then Infantino was fired shortly after. Never made any sense for Hawkman to be added so the writers ignored it later.

Comment

Working...
                                X