Dirty, Drunk And Punk - The Crazy Twisted Story Of The Bunchofuckingoofs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty, Drunk And Punk - The Crazy Twisted Story Of The Bunchofuckingoofs

"The Bunchofuckingoofs were born in 1984. They were a punk band. An art collective. A bicycle gang. They were anti-establishment, anti-consumerism, and lived totally D.I.Y. They played music, made their own clothes, and lived commune-style at Fort Goof. Their name even made it onto the Berlin Wall. The Bunchofuckingoofs have been a Toronto institution for thirty years. Reviled by some for their punk music, hard looks, and rough lifestyle, they were hardcore with hearts. They were the kings and queens of Kensington Market. They took care of their backyard, kept drugs and skinheads out, and earned the respect of others who also called it home. They lived outside of society and within one of their own. A society where dogs ruled, beer was currency, and no one made plans beyond the next gig. Dirty, Drunk, and Punk chronicles twenty-five outrageous years of the Bunchofuckingoofs through the eyes, words, and blurred memories of the people who lived it."

This should be a pretty interesting read, as the BFGs were pretty insane in the 80s. I can remember when Kensington was scary and rad and that there were skinhead problems then too.

You can preview the book here:
    http://www.dirtydrunkandpunk.com/preview.html

This'll look good on my shelf next to the Dayglo book and Trouble In The Camera Club.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Kept drugs out. haha. Yeah, right.

Comment

They kept them out of the neighborhood.... and in their crash pad. haha. There's enough stories around about Crazy Steve Goof and nose candy that some of them have to be true.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Saw the recommendation for this book on Danko's twitter feed...could be a good read.
          It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Because I am a man of action I have a copy on the way.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Kensingtonis a hole. Always has been. Always will be. If there's no coke up there at any given time, its because the crust punks spent all their cash on meth.

Comment

It may always be a hole but it's not the hole it was in the 80s. I was there last time I was in TO a few months back and it's not scary anymore. Kinda scuzzy maybe, but nothing like it used to be.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Manny used to hang out there in the early 90's. That's when it was dangerous. :D

Comment

Haha, point taken. It's not so scuzzy anymore though.

That bubble dude would have had his throat cut fifteen years ago.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

OK, I finished this the other day and it's fucking awesome. Review here.

Also, Crazy Steve Goof has his own youtube channel here. I don't know if anyone who wasn't in Toronto in the 80s and 90s will be all that enthralled but for those of us who were, there's some pretty rad stuff here.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I liked this book, lots pf pics and not too much text, really told their story well. Never heard of them before, what made me buy it was the Canadian aspect of it, not too many books written on the scene up here.

Comment

Check out Trouble In The Camera Club too, Mark. It's more 70s TO than 80s and 90s like the BFG book was and it's not limited to just Canadian acts but it's a pretty interesting snapshot regardless.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            Check out Trouble In The Camera Club too, Mark. It's more 70s TO than 80s and 90s like the BFG book was and it's not limited to just Canadian acts but it's a pretty interesting snapshot regardless.
                            You know I had this on order as well from chapters and because of the postal stike they sent it back to sender, so I had to re-order it today. Looking forward to it as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X