Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dario Argento's Fear Autobiography

https://www.facebook.com/28022799866...type=3&theater

After many months of negotiations the contract finally arrived today. FAB Press is now officially Dario Argento's publisher. English language version of Dario Argento's autobiography FEAR, coming soon. Merry Christmas everyone. Here's to 2019.
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.

Come at me Non Ho Sonno defenders.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

FYI, The hardcover can now be purchased on Amazon & possibly a few other US booksellers. I found it simpler to search by ISBN: 9781913051051 .

Just finished reading my copy. Curious to hear what others think.

Alex K. - I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.
      Fraid not. The more recent the films the less candid & more hurried his writing.

I found it to be an easy, breezy read. A glass of red wine which adds flavour to the hearty main courses of Alan Jones' PROFONDO ARGENTO and Maitland McDonagh's BROKEN MIRRORS BROKEN MINDS. A nice nightcap, if you will. Argento does throw out some interesting tidbits I'd been unfamiliar with, such as how heavily marijuana contributed to his creative thought process.

Comment

Fulci really hated stoners.

Comment

I want it. I wonder if there'll be a Kindle edition. I do all my best reading in the tub and so usually wait for the digital version to avoid all those soggy pages.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
            Fulci really hated stoners.
            Speaking of auteur substance disapproval, Alan Jones' book quotes Argento as saying the following about BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA:
            "I hated it. It was terrible. The reason why it wasn't any good was because director Francis Ford Coppola was sick, depressed and hooked on the drug Lithium when he made it. That's what the movie was really about and why it was so awful. It was just his drug-addled fever dream. Who's interested in that? I'm not."
            It's not cited. So I don't know if Argento said this in a private conversation with Jones, or if it's taken from some published interview.

Either way, always found this an odd hangup. Especially Argento's misconception of the effects of Lithium. It's a mood stabilizer. To reduce impulsivity & mood swings. Argento makes Lithium sound like opium or absinthe.

Comment

That giant praying mantis makes sense now.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

That giant praying mantis is the result of stink weed.

Comment

Richard Stanley was Argento's hookup whenever he was in London in the 80's so you know it was quality product.
                  Tom Clark
                  Last edited by Tom Clark; 12-06-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

And he couldn't get access to Stanley's pot in the 90's! It all makes sense now! FUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                      Richard Stanley was Argento's hookup whenever he was in London in the 80's so you know it was quality product.
                      And he couldn't get access to Stanley's pot in the 90's! It all makes sense now! FUCK!
                      I wonder who Dario's dealer was during the DEEP RED / SUSPIRIA /INFERNO days! I'd like to smoke some of that!

I recall something from Stanley's old website journal wherein he blames Michael Cimino for not being able to hang out with Dario... quite funny... Ah! Thank you Wayback Machine!

It was the winter of 1990. American forces were standing by off the coast of Kuwait and I was in Switzerland on official business. Hardware was playing in competition at Avoriaz but most of all I was hoping to see Dario, who had promised to come if we could only find some decent smoke to make his trip worthwhile. As we were approximately three thousand meters up a goddam mountain in what were fast approaching whiteout conditions, this was proving to be a tall order.
                      [...]
                      "Do you think we should help him?"
                      "Help who?"
                      "That guy over there..."

I followed her eyeline, watching the bedraggled figure right itself, a freezing wind whirling down off the piste, beating against him as he tried to make headway.

"He looks sick..."
                      "Probably drunk. Or dying. Who cares? We're on a mission, remember! Unless we get back to Dario in the next half hour, there's no way il maestro's getting on that plane, no way in hell..."

The stranger took a half step, then his legs folded and he pitched face first into the snow.

"Oh my God..."
                      Michael Cimino
                      "He'll be fine..."
                      "It's Michael Cimino!"

The man, who single-handedly brought down United Artists, had been flown in to replace Brian de Palma as head of the jury after de Palma was recalled to LA, following the disastrous reception of The Bonfire of Vanities (1990). Nobody seemed happy about this, least of all Cimino, who had a sort of 'drowning, not waving' look in his eyes as he struggled to regain his footing.

"So?"
                      "He made The Deer Hunter!"
                      "So what?'
                      "We can't just leave him!"

"And Dario co-wrote Once Upon a Time in the West! Where are your priorities!"
                      "What about Thunderbolt and Lightfoot! I mean, we have to at least get him back to his hotel..."
                      "Oh God, okay ..."
                      "C'mon... Get the other arm..."

So I never did see Dario or give him the statue that waited on the windowsill back at the lodge, watching the snow silently pile against the double glazing.
                      http://web.archive.org/web/200810222...2.php#mountain

Alas, Argento doesn't talk about Stanley at all in FEAR.
                      Last edited by Curwen; 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

On Elijah Wood's Visitations podcast, Stanley says Argento wouldn't go unless he got the weed: https://player.fm/series/visitations...ichard-stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                          On Elijah Wood's Visitations podcast, Stanley says Argento wouldn't go unless he got the weed: https://player.fm/series/visitations...ichard-stanley
                          This is amazing!

Comment

I wonder if he'll dish the details on how and why his movies from the 90's onward sucked so bad.
                            I don't think it's fair that Argento always gets singled out for a decline in quality during the '90s. Most of the major horror directors had a rough decade: Craven sold out; Romero made nothing; Fulci made nothing; Carpenter made one great flick (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS); Hooper made THE MANGLER; Cronenberg pretty much left the genre; Cohen made nothing etc.

I'd say the only major horror directors who were pretty consistent in the '90s were Yuzna and Gordon (and even he made THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT).

At the very least, Argento was getting movies made.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              I don't think it's fair that Argento always gets singled out for a decline in quality during the '90s. Most of the major horror directors had a rough decade: Craven sold out; Romero made nothing; Fulci made nothing; Carpenter made one great flick (IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS); Hooper made THE MANGLER; Cronenberg pretty much left the genre; Cohen made nothing etc.

I'd say the only major horror directors who were pretty consistent in the '90s were Yuzna and Gordon (and even he made THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT).

At the very least, Argento was getting movies made.
                              I think it was because Argentos fall was so big. I mean he went from absolute greatness to unwatchable, while the others mentioned went from good to bad.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                              X