Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Jack Ketchum

Damn, this has not been a good day.

"The world of horror fiction lost one of its most powerful voices today, as author Jack Ketchum has died at age 70.

News of the author's passing was posted on his Twitter page: “Jack Ketchum passed away this morning, after a long battle with cancer. He was grateful for all of you, and he will be sorely, sorely missed.” Born Dallas Mayr, he was, like Stephen King, a high-school teacher before becoming an author, starting out with short stories in magazines (some written under another pseudonym, Jerzy Livingston) before the publication of his controversial first novel, OFF SEASON, in 1980. Taking cues from the splatter-film trend of the era, and going way beyond even those movies in its descriptions of bloodshed and savagery, it tells of a group of vacationers in Maine who fall victim to a brood of inbred cannibals (modeled on the Sawney Bean legend). Publisher Ballantine Books, in fact, insisted Ketchum cut down some of that material, and dropped the book after its first printing due to severe criticism of its excesses."

More here:

https://rue-morgue.com/rip-no-holds-...-jack-ketchum/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

One of the greats.

RIP
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

RIP.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Damn. Got my father into Jack's books last year. And Mr Ketchum found it amusing that he gained a new fan that is a few years older than him.

RIP Jack

Comment

Off Season is a good one.

kinda funny but i did not know of Sylvia Likens til after i read The Girl Next Door. i used to live in downtown Indianapolis and walked by the Sylvia Likens house many times and had no idea

Comment

My wife saw his name on a memorial page from MSN. I first heard about him in a review of OFF SEASON back in the early 80s in Fangoria. What a difference a few decades makes.

Comment

Working...
            X