Sammy Hagar's RED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammy Hagar's RED

Just got finished Hagar's biography. While there is some obvious gloating and self-aggrandizement, it was an interesting read nonetheless. I'm NOT a Van Halen fan at all, but the book intrigued me when I read an excerpt in ROLLING STONE, the part about Eddie Van Halen's odd behavior and general weirdness.

While Van Halen is lauded (understandably) as a great guitarist, the insights in this book are rather interesting. I won't ruin the stories, but definitely worth the read. I got this on my Kobo ereader for $10, and it was worth it.

Anyone else read this? I'm a sucker for rock biographies...next up, Steven Adler's book!

I think I'd be more interested in Adler's bio than Hagar's, but I can imagine he's gotta have some good dirt to dish. Does he get into the tour with Roth at all?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      I think I'd be more interested in Adler's bio than Hagar's, but I can imagine he's gotta have some good dirt to dish. Does he get into the tour with Roth at all?
      Oh yeah. In quite a lot of detail if you are talking about that whole thing when they both (Hagar and Roth) toured together.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I meant. I can imagine there's some awesome bitchy rock star gossip there, might be worth reading for that alone.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, he does, as Horace says. He's not kind to Dave, but it doesn't sound like Dave was kind to him either. He mentions Dave being petty about a lot of stuff, and just not being up to performing standards in many instances. He basically said what I had long suspected about DLR - that he is a limited performer, and a sort of one- trick pony. While I like much of the Roth- era VH, I can't deny Hagar is the better singer and performer. And I am NOT a Hagar fan in the slightest. I think he's a smart guy who's business savvy and a reasonable performer, but not one that I'd pay to see.

The stuff about Eddie Van Halen is sad - to hear how one of rock's greatest guitarists has fallen is too bad. EVH's strange behavior, and his apparent lack of care with his music (according to Hagar, anyway) and his fans puts a whole new spin on him for me. Sad, sad, sad.

Comment

Adler's bio is interesting so far...he (or at least his ghost writer) seem fairly articulate. I'm at the beginning, so the lurid stuff is yet to come, like his years in GNR.

Comment

It is pretty tragic how VH has fallen. They were amazing in the 80s, now? It's hard to care.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It is pretty tragic how VH has fallen. They were amazing in the 80s, now? It's hard to care.
                Agreed 100%. you get the feeling that EVH did this to himself, and he really has no one else to blame. They're just not relevant in terms of the music they make anymore. I was always a greatest hits fan with these guys, and over the years even THAT has faded for me. EVH's arrogance and lack of moving forward musically have ruined it for me (and, I suspect, many other music fans).

Comment

I think that once they brought in a third singer they turned that corner where you just can't go back to the way things were regardless of who's on the mic. The momentum is gone and any time you get together with either DLR or Hagar it's going to seem like a nostalgia-based cash grab...*cough-cough Anthrax! cough*
                  Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                    I think that once they brought in a third singer they turned that corner where you just can't go back to the way things were regardless of who's on the mic. The momentum is gone and any time you get together with either DLR or Hagar it's going to seem like a nostalgia-based cash grab...*cough-cough Anthrax! cough*
                    True! I really couldn't believe they hired Gary Cherone (ex-Extreme singer) to front the band. Evidently that didn't last long, either, and they canned him too. VH is pretty much done, barring any amazing new work from them, which I seriously doubt. Though at this point, I wouldn't put it past EVH to do the cash grab.

Hagar's description about EVH's horrible, sloppy solos and the fans being irate, and him being like "I love you people, you pay my rent!" just seals it for me. One of the best guitarists of his time noodling and acting like a fool is just sad. Suffice to say, a lot of folks won't be going to see VH again. After hearing this, I wouldn't walk across the street to see them.

Comment

Not even bothering to ask Michael Anthony to do the DLR reunion tour was pretty low as well. I can understand wanting to tour with your son, but at least call Anthony and ask for his blessing.
                      Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                        Not even bothering to ask Michael Anthony to do the DLR reunion tour was pretty low as well. I can understand wanting to tour with your son, but at least call Anthony and ask for his blessing.
                        That was pretty much the final nail in the VH coffin for me. That was just a dick move.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Well, I saw HALEN in 2007 and it was a terrific show. Michael Anthony was certainly missed - but it still worked out ok. As for Sammy's comments on Eddie it needs to be kept in mind that this was Eddie on the 2003-2005 tour. The Eddie I saw was energetic and playing very well. The set list was all Roth-era and perfect.

In many ways Sammy is a likable enough guy but he is truly a marginal talent. The HALEN stuff with him is predominately awful MOR/AOR crap. Most of it barely has the balls of good FOREIGNER! Sammy is also an atrocious lyricist with his juvenile T & A fixations. Kind of like if Bon Scott had been a moron (instead of a genius). Listen to crap like "Up For Breakfast". Roth is not the greatest singer technically but he belongs in the same class as guys like Bon Scott, Lemmy and Ozzy - distinctive and utterly original voices who fit their bands perfectly.

I'd love to see Eddie get his shit together and do another VH album with Roth. And Sammy is just a musical wasteland for the most part. His get out of jail free card is the first MONTROSE album. Its a brilliant hard rock classic and the only thing that can save him from being solely remembered musically for garbage like "I Can't Drive 55" and "Three Lock Box".

I did like the book though.

Comment

"I'll Fall In Love Again" is totally awesome. Plus, it's in Vision Quest, so it gets even more points.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                              Well, I saw HALEN in 2007 and it was a terrific show. Michael Anthony was certainly missed - but it still worked out ok. As for Sammy's comments on Eddie it needs to be kept in mind that this was Eddie on the 2003-2005 tour. The Eddie I saw was energetic and playing very well. The set list was all Roth-era and perfect.

In many ways Sammy is a likable enough guy but he is truly a marginal talent. The HALEN stuff with him is predominately awful MOR/AOR crap. Most of it barely has the balls of good FOREIGNER! Sammy is also an atrocious lyricist with his juvenile T & A fixations. Kind of like if Bon Scott had been a moron (instead of a genius). Listen to crap like "Up For Breakfast". Roth is not the greatest singer technically but he belongs in the same class as guys like Bon Scott, Lemmy and Ozzy - distinctive and utterly original voices who fit their bands perfectly.

I'd love to see Eddie get his shit together and do another VH album with Roth. And Sammy is just a musical wasteland for the most part. His get out of jail free card is the first MONTROSE album. Its a brilliant hard rock classic and the only thing that can save him from being solely remembered musically for garbage like "I Can't Drive 55" and "Three Lock Box".

I did like the book though.
                              I liked it as well. I agree with you on Hagar being a marginal talent. Truly the epitome of working hard will take you a long way. He's not the most talented guy, but one who knows what side his bread is buttered on.

The MA debacle is shameful. The Van Halens don't seem to have loyalty to anyone but themselves. What they fail to realize is that the people around them helped them get where they are.

As for Dave's voice, yeah, it's distinct, but he's not in the league of those other guys that you mentioned, IMO. He may be good for one more reunion tour, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X