Clear All

• RIP Bernie Wrightson

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...n-passed-away/

:(
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Didn't know much about him, but the stuff I've seen was rad. RIP

Comment

Awww fuck. He was hands down my favorite comic book artist of all time. At one point I was a member of his official fan club! I met him a few times, he was always an incredibly nice man and more than willing to talk to his fans and sign whatever you wanted him to sign - he appreciated everyone who took the time to stop by his table.

At one point in the 90's he needed a copy of the TV guide that he did some illustrations for (it was a Stephen King issue and Wrightson did the cover and some interiors in it). I had an extra copy and sent it to him. A few weeks later I got a package in the mail from him with a copy of the pop up book that he did, he signed it for me and even did a quick little illustration inside the front cover.

This guy changed my life. His work on Frankenstein got me to read that tome as a twelve year old. His work on Swamp Thing was definitely a huge gateway drug for me and got me into horror comics. A lot of his fanzine work was responsible for turning me on to the E.C. stuff that was clearly such a huge influence on him. I know his health had been failing and that his output had slowed down for it, but I hoped that he'd get through it, stick around a while longer, and maybe get back to the drawing board at some point.

My heart goes out to his wife Liz and his kids.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Back, many years ago, when I was buying comics, my favorite artists were Murphy Anderson and Al Williamson. Then THE SPECTRE #9 came out with this story with weird art by somebody. Credits were iffy back then but I fell in love with the art. A few weeks later HOUSE OF MYSTERY #179 appeared with more art by the same person. I don't remember if that story had his name or if it was shortly after but I learned it was Bernie Wrightson and he became my favorite artist and I started searching out more of his work. I was a DC fan so I was already buying all those titles but found TOWER OF SHADOWS from Marvel and WEB OF HORROR from Major and of course the Warren magazines where Wrightson would occasionally appear. I guess his passing is not a complete surprise since he has been in bad health for a few years but still it's sad that another person whose works I loved and admired has left us, especially at a relatively young age.

Comment

Great picture of Bernie circa 2007, an outtake from a book Greg Preston did featuring artists in their studios.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8gtBSTUwAAsSrt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	352168
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
          X