Batman comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman comics

I've been on a bit of a Batman comic kick as of late. I've been sticking to short self-contained stories which I prefer to over-long ongoing stories that span over 50 issues with tons of crossover issues.

About a week or two ago I finished Joker:

Pretty interesting and twisted Joker story. It does bring up an issue I have with the character that the Joker shouldn't be alive. If Batman doesn't kill him, then why the hell has no one else attempted it? Surely the insanity defense can't save him every time. And if so, surely the government could form a hit squad to take him out. Anyway, great fucked up Joker story.

Yesterday I finished The Man Who Laughs:

This one was great. Perfect followup to Killing Joke and Year One. And I'm hoping to check out Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth sometime tonight. Are there any really good Two Face stories to check out? And anything involving Bane (my personal favorite Batman Villain) outside of the Knightfall saga?
    Alex K.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 09-18-2016, 12:46 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

One of my favorite Batman stories that I rarely see mentioned IIRC was titled "The Many Deaths of Batman" I think it ran 3 or so issues. I know the first issue was almost silent. Pretty sure Gordon said the only words.

Comment

I finished Arkham Asylum: a Serious House on Serious Earth.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! This was fucking amazing. The greatest comic I've ever read ever. Stunning in every conceivable way. I even picked the perfect background music, Boyd Rice. I fear that the next few comics I will read, which will be The Black Mirror and The Long Halloween, are not going to measure up to this experience. But I look forward to reading them regardless.

Is there anything else like A Serious House on Serious Earth not necessarily Batman-related would you guys recommend?

Comment

Awesome, love tge b cover art.

Comment

Tried to read Black Mirror and just couldn't get into it. It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Dick Grayson either. Going to check out Long Halloween later.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! This was fucking amazing. The greatest comic I've ever read ever. Stunning in every conceivable way. I even picked the perfect background music, Boyd Rice. I fear that the next few comics I will read, which will be The Black Mirror and The Long Halloween, are not going to measure up to this experience. But I look forward to reading them regardless.

Is there anything else like A Serious House on Serious Earth not necessarily Batman-related would you guys recommend?
            One of the coolest things McKean ever illustrated was Big Numbers, written by Alan Moore. Worth looking around for it.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I looked up Big Numbers. It looks like McKean only illustrated some of the issues and it was never completed. Not an easy to find comic like you said.

As an aside, I did find League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Moore's run on Supreme and will try to get into that after Long Halloween.

Comment

I really liked Long Halloween but read it first run and haven't picked it up since so my memory could be a bit foggy here.

And maybe it was Bill Sienkiewicz who did Big Numbers, not McKean? Either way, it was rad, but yeah, unfinished and hard to find. I think I was confusing it with Violent Cases which he did draw.

McKean worked with Neil Gaiman on a Black Orchid mini-series for DC in the late 80s that I enjoyed. Most of the Gaiman/McKean stuff is good.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That's an amazing book. Hard to find a better comic book, imo.

I'm the only person in the world who loved Frank Miller's ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN. Rather than a dud, I thought it was a clever, blackly comic swipe at the Batman mythos.

The GOTHAM CENTRAL volumes are amazing: they do something different with the Batman story by focusing instead on the officers/detectives of the Gotham PD, with Batman as a character who's on the sidelines for much of the story.

The BATMAN RIP run by Grant Morrison was pretty good, and I really liked Morrison's BATMAN, INCORPORATED too.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I've seen enough of All Star B&R to know it's terrible. WTF happened to Miller? After Sin City the dude seemed to have lost his mind.

Comment

I'm in the minority, but long Halloween was BORING.

Comment

I've seen enough of All Star B&R to know it's terrible.
                        Ah, you just don't get it That's fine, no-one else does either ;)

But yes, there's a definite 'turn' in Miller's work after SIN CITY. THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN was a book that I could never bring myself to finish.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

I still have yet to get into Long Halloween. Mainly due to time and it's a pretty long comic. I also have Hush which I know a little bit about and want to give that one a chance. And also Death of the Family which I've read middling reviews of, but I absolutely love the look of the Joker (this is when the Joker cuts his fucking face off and wears it as a mask) and want to check it out regardless.

If anyone knows of any really good Two Face or Bane centric stories I'm all ears.
                          Alex K.
                          Last edited by Alex K.; 09-21-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Long Halloween I found to be disappointing despite a strong start. I agree with Mark, it is too slow. You can't have a Batman story with Harvey Dent before he becomes Two Face and then set it up like "Who is the Holiday killer?" I know what you're doing and it's no surprise to me.

Just finished Death of the Family. A good twisted Joker story but... Nothing really changed by the end of it. No one dies for one. It's a bit of a reprieve of Arkham Asylym A Serious House on Serious Earth (but this time done literally). I don't think it's bad it's just frustrating that it doesn't really evolve the dynamic between Batman and Joker very much. There are some amazing fucked up visuals and the Joker is similar to Azzarello's interpretation as a genius serial killer. Good stuff.
                            Alex K.
                            Last edited by Alex K.; 09-22-2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I still have yet to get into Long Halloween. Mainly due to time and it's a pretty long comic. I also have Hush which I know a little bit about and want to give that one a chance. And also Death of the Family which I've read middling reviews of, but I absolutely love the look of the Joker (this is when the Joker cuts his fucking face off and wears it as a mask) and want to check it out regardless.
                              I liked HUSH well enough. Not great but pretty good. Like you, Alex, I liked the look of the Joker in DEATH OF THE FAMILY but, honestly, I found it a chore to read.
                              If anyone knows of any really good Two Face
                              FACES is okay. HALF A LIFE, from GOTHAM CENTRAL, was stellar.

Comment

Working...
                              X