Batman comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
    Meh. Maybe an animated adaptation could fix it?
    If they they to fix it like they did with Gotham by Gaslight and The Killing Joke, it'll be even worse.

Comment

Well Three Jokers ended like it started. It was ok. Not amazing, not terrible.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

#3 will arrive here hopefully Monday.
        "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Curious what you think once you get a chance to read it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Three Jokers#3 arrived today and I have a lot of problems with the storyline and the wrap up. If anyone hasn't read it, leave the room as there are "spoilers" aplenty.

1) Back in the New 52 JLA #42, while in Metron's chair, Batman asked it "What is the Joker's Secret Identity?". Batman told Green Lantern that he chair said there were three. Keep this in mind for later.

2) The "Criminal" Joker looks older than the other Jokers, especially in issue #3. Are you telling me that the world's greatest detective didn't ever notice? My theory is that this Joker may have gone into hiding, to orchestrate the atrocities perpetrated by the other two. I'm reaching here. It gets weirder.

3)I like the character of Jason Todd/Red Hood. In fact, he may be my favorite out of the Bat Family. But here, he's dumber than a stump. Too many hits to the head with a crowbar.(Ow).He accuses Batman of not stopping his (Jason's) actions because he would have to expose his secret identity. Actually, Batman is doing it out of love for his wayward son, something that has been brought up several times in the various Red Hood series. Even if this story is out of continuity/canon, this bit of drama is just hogwash.

4) The Criminal Joker wants to make a better Joker, so he can leave this all behind. WTF? He had two more that were perfectly willing to not only continue to haunt Batman, but to make more Jokers. If a "better" Joker were made, was the criminal going to kill the other two Jokers?

5) Making a Joker out of a dying Joe Chill by dumping him in the toxic waste that has a .000001% of creating another Joker? Odds are, Grampa Chill ain't going to survive. This was done to make Batman see that Chill really was seeking forgiveness, just so the Joker could be the biggest pain in Batman's ass.

6)Going back to number 1, after all of the carnage, Batman tells Alfred (Wait. Isn't he dead?) that he knew who the Joker was a week after their first clash. So why did he ask Metron's Chair who the Joker was IF HE ALREADY KNEW? We're referencing the Comedian here from The Killing Joke. Does this mean that this Joker created the other two Jokers? It plays out as if the criminal (older) Joker was around long before the Comedian and the Clown, so does this mean that both the Criminal Joker and the Comedian Joker were both knocked into the vat of chemicals fighting Batman? Wouldn't Batman remember something freakish as this happening twice? Does this Joker bath give everyone the same facial structure and hate for Batman? It didn't for Harley Quinn.

I was really, really looking forward to this for years. Even if my expectations were lower, this would still be a disappointment.It seems like everything was rushed through and needed a little more thinking through. At best, this was just massively ok.

Comment

So I guess Three Jokers did well enough that there's going to be a sequel.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...s-jason-fabok/
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Also, Gary, appreciate your feedback on this. You're tied into the continuity more than I am so I wasn't aware of some of the quirks you point out.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It seemed like the creators had the idea "Hey, what if there's THREE JOKERS!?!?!?!" And that's as far as they got with it.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Keep hearing how great Geoff Johns is. Read a good chunk of his comics and I don't see it.

But hey at least for now Killing Joke is 100% in continuity.

Comment

You're welcome, Ian. I've re-read this story about 5 times and keep coming away with conflicting feelings about it.

I'm really not a huge continuity bug and love a good story that isn't part of whatever Universe DC is in this month. One of my major gripes with this story is Batman not realizing he was dealing with more than one Joker over the years. There is a throwaway line that the Joker has changed his appearance over the years, but that isn't enough. The criminal Joker was older than the others, so he had to come along before the others. Or was he "created" after the Comedian? Where were the other two when one was in Arkham? Wouldn't Harley Quinn have noticed a difference? If Batman knew who the Joker was after their initial battle, then...ahh, my fucking head hurts.

The problem is that you really can't kill the Joker. He's too much of a money maker for DC and he's Batman's major villain. We get around that a bit by the Red Hood busting a cap in a Joker's skull.

Three Jokers is definitely a YMMV story.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                        Keep hearing how great Geoff Johns is. Read a good chunk of his comics and I don't see it.

I don't like everything he did, but Johns' runs on the JSA and Justice Society of America (two different comics) were generally pretty damn awesome. He really respected the history of those Golden Age characters and didn't radically change their personalities. The "Thy Kingdom Come" story in the latter book was particularly rad, he brought the Superman from the Kingdom Come universe to theirs. It had a couple of genuinely emotional moments.

His reboots of The Flash and Green Lantern were pretty good too, but a bit below the JSA books.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I need to check those out.

Comment

Anyone else read the Batman's Grave 12-issue series? I enjoyed it. Didn't love the ending but Alfred's back and forth with Bruce throughout the run was, for me at least, genuinely funny (his line about cocaine cracked me up). Decent art and action scenes as well. Not a life changer or anything, but entertaining enough.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Batman: Reptilian, by Garth Ennis and Liam Sharp, coming in June.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...dc-black-label
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Batman #1 sells for over $1.2 Million at auction.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...uction-record/
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X