Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bleeding Skull! A 1990s Trash-Horror Odyssey Coming In 2018 From Fantagraphics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding Skull! A 1990s Trash-Horror Odyssey Coming In 2018 From Fantagraphics.

Yeah fine, it's a year and a half away but still... this is good news.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Book2Announce_Text.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	367388

Source.

From the release of our first book, Bleeding Skull! A 1980s Trash-Horror Odyssey, to the screening of The Last Slumber Party with Jan Jensen aka “Chris” in person, from launching Bleeding Skull! Video with our pals at Mondo to helping James Bryan complete Jungle Trap, Bleeding Skull! has allowed us to have at least eleven lifetimes worth of fun in one measly decade. Today, we're beyond stoked to share our most exciting announcement ever:

Bleeding Skull! A 1990s Trash-Horror Odyssey is our next book, and it will be published by Fantagraphics in 2018!!

This book — written by Zack Carlson, Annie Choi, and myself — will expose the unexplored underbelly of D.I.Y. trash-horror in the 1990s. It will be the definitive resource on ultra-obscure movies that have rarely — if ever — been written about. Working with our friends at Fantagraphics on this project is a dream come true. We couldn't be happier. And we can't wait to stuff humanity's collective souls with an avalanche of fourth-generation VHS crust.

While we work exclusively on the book and Bleeding Skull! Video, you can follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for daily updates on everything that has to do with anything we're working on.

Prepare.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thought it was weird that Dan Budnik wasn't in on this, but then I went and found out he left in 2014. Sad to hear as The Budnik's writing was always hilarious, but I guess time must move on. This will be a day one purchase of course, and hopefully they'll do one on the more lesser know works of the 1970's in the future.

:up:

Comment

From FB:

"Psst. Annie, Zack, and Joe have finished writing the second Bleeding Skull book -- BLEEDING SKULL! A 1990s TRASH-HORROR ODYSSEY. More info soon-ish."
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Noticed this thread has almost no replies. This is a book Ian truly loves and references often. Just as a plug for those of you that may want to consider picking it up. ;)
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Well, to be fair, the '90s book isn't out yet, but I will say that the 1980s one is perhaps the most essential genre guide released in the last 20 years. It's actually so well-written and funny that it's forever changed the way I watch SOV horror. Ziemba and Budnik managed to unearth a whole new level to these forgotten films and revealed the fun and pure joy that can be had once you start watching them the way that they suggest. It's so generous when writers can actually get you excited about a certain type of film just by getting you to see it in a new way and that's exactly what they did with the book and their website. Their writing is brilliantly sarcastic, while mostly avoiding being mean or condescending. Once you get it, there's no turning back, and there's suddenly hundreds of movies that you can now watch (or rewatch) in a whole new light.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            Well, to be fair, the '90s book isn't out yet, but I will say that the 1980s one is perhaps the most essential genre guide released in the last 20 years. It's actually so well-written and funny that it's forever changed the way I watch SOV horror. Ziemba and Budnik managed to unearth a whole new level to these forgotten films and revealed the fun and pure joy that can be had once you start watching them the way that they suggest. It's so generous when writers can actually get you excited about a certain type of film just by getting you to see it in a new way and that's exactly what they did with the book and their website. Their writing is brilliantly sarcastic, while mostly avoiding being mean or condescending. Once you get it, there's no turning back, and there's suddenly hundreds of movies that you can now watch (or rewatch) in a whole new light.
            Should've specified I meant the original. To hopefully increase interest in this one.
            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

The original is out of print and super expensive now (though you can get the kindle version cheap enough). Headpress should do a 2nd printing.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	354442
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I loved the first book and completely agree with Matt H.'s review above. I've avoided '90s SOV movies like the plague so far but hopefully the new book will give me a fresh perspective.
                  Check out my F'dup Flix blog for more musings on disreputable films.

Latest post: The "Halloween" series

Comment

At one point I was trying to track down and watch every movie in the first book. I haven't completed that mission yet but without counting I'd guess I'm at around the 75-80% mark.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Looks like this one will not be getting a hardcover? I just see the paperback everywhere, including the Fantagraphics website.

Also just a heads up (ha) that Headpress had both the paperback and hardcover of the earlier 80's edition in stock over the weekend. My connection is crappy right now, so I cannot check current stock, but I assume they're both still available. I picked up a copy of the hardcover, which they've just shipped out.

Comment

This comes out on Tuesday. Fuck yeah!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder on this, gonna go pre-order right this very instant.

Edited to add - Amazon still shows a Sept. release, where did you see Tues? I'm not doubting you, just curious is somewhere else is shipping it earlier.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                            Thanks for the reminder on this, gonna go pre-order right this very instant.

Edited to add - Amazon still shows a Sept. release, where did you see Tues? I'm not doubting you, just curious is somewhere else is shipping it earlier.
                            Aw, crap. I pre-ordered it from Amazon.ca and it says it's arriving Tuesday, although it's not a "guaranteed" delivery but an "estimated" delivery - usually not a good sign. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Yeah, let me know! I'm freakishly anxious for this book.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X