Film and TV Tie In Novels Cover Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

That's flat out crazy that there is a novel of that! I saw it in the theater when it premiered. Indeed an age of wonder.
    With how sword and sorcery pulp novels were selling during the barbarian boom of the early 80’s, and the fact that damned near EVERY movie got a novelization back then, I’m really not that shocked.

Comment

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Have I posted this before? Can't remember. Neal Adams cover for the novelization of a trashy but fun film.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grizzly0001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	415147
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I've always loved Movie Tie In novels and still have quite a few. Here are a couple. (Too bad about the tape pull on the Vault of Horror as it is a stand out cover). Click image for larger version

Name:	MTI 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	415154 Click image for larger version

Name:	MTI 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	415155
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Nice, will have to look out for Haunted Strangler and Brotherhood of Satan.

Here are a couple more of my Japan only novelizations:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stagefright.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.0 KB ID:	415163
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Trauma.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.7 KB ID:	415164

Some are light novels like Day of the Dead, Evil Dead 2013 and Stagefright (credited to 'Lew Cooper', yeah, right. I didn't know George Eastman knew Japanese!) so they're short enough to photograph the pages and run them through Google Translate (the results are often funny, but just about readable). However, Trauma is a proper novel so I don't have the patience to scan it and read it.

The Day of the Dead novel has a fun prologue where Ben recounts the events of Night, but instead of being burnt, he wanders off to the mall and watches the events of Dawn as a zombie!
            agent999
            Last edited by agent999; 05-31-2023, 04:12 PM.
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Random thoughts...

1. That 'Haunted Strangler' novelisation is absolutely beautiful! I would actually crap myself if I found a paperback that cool out in the wild.

2. I can't even imagine how much random, stupid fun the novelisation of Grizzly must be.

Actually, my own reading of novelisations has been heading toward completely the other end of the market in recent years, focusing on legit books written by people who were actually involved in the making of the films. Here is what I have learned thus far:

The Yakuza by Leonard Schrader - this is SO much better than the movie, IMHO. Feels like the original, full strength story which the film is a botched/compromised version of. Highly recommended.

Night Moves by Alan Sharp - this one is... just as good as the movie, I would say (which means it is excellent); has the same unique feel, but with room to stretch out and get a bit deeper into character stuff. Could have received props as a great stand-alone novel were it not for its film tie-in status.

Zardoz by john Boorman & Bill Stair - this feels more like an essential cliff notes / explainer pack to accompany the movie than anything else; going through them both side by side proved illuminating.
              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

You guys have stepped up your game with those covers! So many I want, haha. And BW, I really want the Night Moves novel. Such a great film.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Name:	MTI 3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	415184

Comment

I've got that edition of Cat O' Nine Tails! I also have two Italian books, Profondo Thrilling and Terrore Profondo which between them have short (50 - 100 page) novelizations of Bird, Cat, Four Flies, Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Opera, Demons and Door Into Darkness. They're just the right length for running through the translator.

Comment

Zacherley's Midnight Snacks (Ballantine, 1960). Richard Powers.

Richard Powers cover for Zacherley's Midnight Snacks

Comment

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	416163

Comment

I've got the UK editions of those two. I recall than Thing novelization being completely different to the movie, I guess it was based on an early draft (like The Frighteners).

The Simon Hawke Friday the 13th novelizations are where they money's at, they go for hundreds! Surprised that someone hasn't reprinted them, but I guess that's up to Paramount.

Comment

Working...
                          X