Back Issue magazine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Issue magazine!

Anyone else love this mag? If you're a fan of Bronze Age comics it's pretty much essential reading. Meticulously researched articles and tons of illustrations. Interviews with the writers/artists/editors involved. Each issue usually has a theme of some sort - new one is the Batman/Superman teams, or rather some of the unusual aspects of them like the Super Sons from World's Finest comics in the 1970s (a goofy yet very fun concept that I loved back then). I'd been aware of this mag for quite a while but last summer they did a KILLER 100 page issue on the DC Super Spectaculars, those 100 page issues that usually had a new story and a bunch of reprints. They turned me onto lots of Golden Age stuff back in the early 70s and I can't tell you how much I love these 100 page comics. I have a bunch I've accumulated over the years. The next issue will cover Marvel magazines of the 70s and 80s - comes out mid-April. I've been buying individual issues but recently subscribed - they have a digital edition if you're so inclined by the way. I don't buy many mags these days but this one is so great, really look forward to these.

"BACK ISSUE #88 (84 FULL-COLOR pages, $8.95) features an art form unleashed: COMICS MAGAZINES OF THE '70s & '80s! Marvel's mags: from Savage Tales to Epic Illustrated, JACK KIRBY's “Speak-Out Series,” WILL EISNER's The Spirit magazine, The Unpublished PAUL GULACY, MICHAEL USLAN discusses the Shadow magazine you didn't see, plus B&Ws from Atlas/Seaboard, Charlton, Skywald, and Warren. Featuring the work of NEAL ADAMS, JOHN BOLTON, ARCHIE GOODWIN, DOUG MOENCH, EARL NOREM, ROY THOMAS, and more. Re-presenting a dynamite Marvel Preview/Punisher cover by GRAY MORROW! Edited by MICHAEL EURY."

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Here's their site - this is published by TwoMorrows Publishing, who do a few other comic related mags like Kirby Collector and Roy Thomas' Alter Ego - another great one. They also have lots of books on comics. Last month Back Issue was focused on those 1970s Marvel Giant Size comics.

Comment

This looks right up my alley. Dammit.
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I grab issues off and on. Great series. One of my favorite issues was the "Green issue". With a long article on the various Green Hornet comics. Plus stuff on the 70s Green Arrow/Green Lantern run and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Looks great, never knew about this at all, thanks for the heads up. Will probably grab it digitally.

Comment

Most years around FCBD they give away at least one issue for free digitally. They also published Alter Ego which focuses on the Golden age and silver age.

Comment

Had an email yesterday that #88 has shipped (Punisher cover above) - first issue of my subscription - I guess they ship those early as the site says ships April 13 as I recall. Can't wait to see this one!

I mentioned Alter Ego above, Newt - that is Roy Thomas' zine that dates way back to the 1960s as a fan project that he came in on fairly early. I have a few trade collections of it as well as some single issues. It's a good read and does cover the earlier eras with somewhat of a focus on the JSA. Speaking of, TwoMorrows also published the multi-volume JSA companions that Thomas edited. They have a whole range of these companion volumes on Flash, Hawkman, etc. I've had the JSA and Hawkman ones for years, GREAT stuff.

Comment

If you're on the fence about trying this magazine, now's a good time to hop on over! Big sale - Get that 100 page DC special (#81) from last summer. I guarangoddamntee you'll dig it.

"Congratulations to editor Michael Eury and BACK ISSUE magazine, for winning the TwoMorrows Primary Election!

This year we garnered THREE Eisner Award nominations in the same category, so we held our own informal poll to see which one fans felt deserved the honor, and BI came out on top with 57% of the vote.

So we're putting all in-stock issues of BACK ISSUE on sale at 50% OFF through May 1.

Plus, you can use the Redemption Code “EISNERS” during checkout, and get $3.95 off your next order of $10 or more at www.twomorrows.com. (The code expires May 1.)"

Comment

One of my favorite issues they've done was a special on Swamp/Muck creatures in comics. 192 pages, and more like a book than a periodical, with a color section and everything. Can't recommend this enough.

"Swampmen: Muck-Monsters of the Comics is the second double-size Comic Book Creator Summer Annual, examining those creepy man-criers that crawled out of the bayou back in the 1970s through the memories of the artists and writers who created them! A stunning line-up of interviews discuss Swamp Thing, Man-Thing, The Heap, Lurker of the Swamp, It, Bog Beast, and even Marvin the Dead Thing."

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/TwoM...S-SC/MAY141629
                  "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

New issue! Pretty awesome cover - alternate Kaluta cover produced for DC's Shadow series. Subscriber copies shipping now.

July 2016 - 84 FULL-COLOR pages

BACK ISSUE #89 (84 FULL-COLOR pages, $8.95) spotlights BRONZE AGE ADAPTATIONS! The Shadow, Korak: Son of Tarzan, Battlestar Galactica, The Black Hole, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Worlds Unknown, and Marvel's 1980s movie adaptations. Plus: PAUL KUPPERBERG surveys prose adaptations of comics! Featuring the work of MICHAEL W. KALUTA, JACK KIRBY, DENNY O'NEIL, FRANK ROBBINS, FRANK THORNE, MICHAEL USLAN, and many more. Featuring an alternate cover produced for DC's Shadow series by Kaluta! Edited by MICHAEL EURY.

Comment

I'm still subscribing to this awesome mag. Latest issue theme is Greatest Stories Never Told - projects that, for whatever reason never made it to print. Alex Ross cover for his proposed FF reboot. Also Larry Hama's Future Force, Mike Grell's Batman/John Sable, Claremont and Sim's X-Men/Cerebus, Englehart and Von Eden's Batman/Mad Hatter and much more. This really is a goldmine of info if you're into the Bronze Age of comics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BI118a_LRG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	357446

Comment

I need to get a new subscription to Back Issue. Twomorrows puts out great stuff.

Comment

I really enjoyed their retrospective on Swamp Monsters:
                          Attached Files
                          Scott
                          Intellectual Carrot
                          Last edited by Scott; 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            I really enjoyed their retrospective on Swamp Monsters:
                            I get that impression, Scott. Haha.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...l=1#post130916

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                              I get that impression, Scott. Haha.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...l=1#post130916

Haha, I don't recall posting that at all. Man I am stuck in time loop! I'll give it another 4 years and post about it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X