Turbo Kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Kid

This looks nuts and great and weird and.... great.

"In a post-apocalyptic future a young solitary scavenger obsessed with comic books must face his fears and become a reluctant hero when he meets a mysterious girl. From horror masterminds Ant Timpson (The ABCs Of Death 1 & 2, Housebound) and Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun)."

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Aweome! Looks like budget keeping them too small may be the main hurdle here but colour me intrigued (which I imagine as a mauve-ish sort of shade...)
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Nice to see Michael Ironside in ANYTHING.....and here he is hamming it up as a potential relative of Dennis Hopper in Waterworld!!!

Comment

Rad poster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CKEKTHJUYAEXiuk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	348624
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Looks nice!

Though the combination of "mastermind" and "hobo with a shotgun" does not really sit well with me. That film was horrible.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

No relation to Turbo Teen I suppose... drat.

Comment

Well, Twitch liked it a lot.

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/08/review...8TwitchFilm%29
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

UK Blu release through Lionsgate happening 10/5/15.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=266375
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Dying to see this. Hope it screens soon near Mass or Rhode Island. Definitely picking up the OST, as well.

Comment

For those interested, this popped up on the Playstation store.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Cover for the UK disc:

Click image for larger version

Name:	138890_medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	349009

Special Features:
                      "Bloody Wasteland" - The Making of Turbo Kid (25 min)
                      "T is for Turbo" (5 min).
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If you're after merch, and I'm not really after merch, you can get some here.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turbo-kid#/story

Interesting idea for a crowd funding campaign. Not my thing but I can see why some might be tempted.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Watched it last night on Roku. Pretty damn good. Bloody, funny, and M Ironside is great! I would recommend it.

Ace

Comment

I gave up at 45 minutes point. Sorry to be a curmudgeonly old bastard (particularly at 35!) but if a film can't take itself slightly seriously then why should I bother? Seemed to be about people battling over water but that seemed fairly pointless as it was shot somewhere really damp. There's fucking water everywhere guys! The acting is horrendous, it's plotless and it's all nod, nod, wink, wink. Like Machete without the smarts or the storytelling skill. And, lord knows, you never want to be compared unfavourably to Machete.

Still the film interests me. Firstly it starts with banners for: EPIC Pictures and Raven Entertainment and Filmoption International and EMA FILMS and T&A Films and Telefilm Canada and the New Zealand Film Commission and Quebec Film And Television
                            and fucking Canada(!) and Super Channel and Cinepool and Departement Camera and Curious and lastly, possible leastly (how would I know?) Alchemy 24. That's how many companies it takes now to put together a film that looks like it cost 2 bucks 50.

Then there's the distribution. Very limited theatrical run that's concurrent with it's release online. I see it's in the top five sellers on iTunes which sounds exciting though I have no idea if that translates to real money. I hope so.

But by god they've buggered their distribution upeven so... Now no fan has been pushing harder for digital distribution than me but fuck this is hard to get a copy of. Probably it's okay for Americans but the rest of us have to test our geo-unblocking skills to the limit to get a copy. Write buy turbokid into google what do you get? A bunch of gibberish, a Flixster link that I suspect is useless and a link to the films website. You go to the films website and click the "buy" button and it takes you to a page for the theatrical trailer.... How long, oh lord, how long? While, of course, tens of thousands of copies get stolen on piratebay. When will they learn? It's never been easier to stick a copy of the film in the hands of your fans in exchange for our money. Just freakin' do it!
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                              I gave up at 45 minutes point. Sorry to be a curmudgeonly old bastard (particularly at 35!) but if a film can't take itself slightly seriously then why should I bother? Seemed to be about people battling over water but that seemed fairly pointless as it was shot somewhere really damp. There's fucking water everywhere guys! The acting is horrendous, it's plotless and it's all nod, nod, wink, wink. Like Machete without the smarts or the storytelling skill. And, lord knows, you never want to be compared unfavourably to Machete.
                              That's exactly what I was afraid of. I've only seen the trailer, and while I love the gore effects, it just looks like another "tribute" by people who don't have the balls to make the real thing. I have little appreciation for people and filmmakers who think old genre films are cool because they are "so bad that you can laugh at them", but even worse are the people who pretend to like them and get some things right, but still have this apologetic, humoristic approach. The old films were cool exactly because of their unapologetic attitude, and that's what these modern jokers so often fail to understand.

Well, I may still give it a go, but I'm afraid it will turn out another Kick-Ass: a film I enjoy in parts, dislike in others, and fundamentally hate for what it represents. Or maybe it will be another Gallants or Machete Kills or Yakuza Weapon, that is, crap from start to finish.

Borrowing and referencing itself is not a problem. I love Kill Bill for example. Like him or not, and he may be a bit too post-modern at times, but Tarantino still doesn't turn his material/sources into a cheap joke. He doesn't have that "I'm a bit ashamed to like these crap movies but I'll make a loving comedy tribute to them" attitude.
                              Takuma
                              Last edited by Takuma; 09-06-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X