Santa Sangre On Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Sangre On Blu-ray

Anyone get the Severin Blu-ray release yet? I have it on order but won't have it for a few days. I was happy with the AB UK two disc set at the time but since then it's become more obvious that there was some room left for improvement there, especially as far as the audio goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in HD. It's such a wild looking film that I'd imagine the extra detail and higher resolution will probably result in an even trippier experience. I know Jodorowsky isn't for everyone, but this film, to me at least, is a pretty damn impressive piece of moviemaking.

Hopefully his other pictures get an HD upgrade soon.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll get it eventually, as it's one of my faves from my midnight movie-going glory days...but I'm going to wait for the price to come down a bit. If I can get a two-disc Blu-ray set of John Woo's Red Cliff films for under $16US, I'm certainly not paying $30US for a single disc BD...no matter how good the film or substantial the extras. ;)

Comment

I got it online for $21, and I was pretty happy with that price.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That cover art is rad. I like Bertmer's version of the movie poster, too.
        It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

That is pretty great. Nifty detail in that piece.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The transfer on the BD is great, and the extras too. What a kick ass release.

Screen caps here!
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I now have a concern: having seen the film multiple times theatrically, and having looked at the majority of BD reviews available online...what happened to the film's colours? The one major thing I remember about the film was that it was vibrantly colourful, almost to a heightened level. Yet all the BD screenshots display a washed out, palid appearance, and that's definitely not how I remember the film...hmmm...

Comment

I haven't seen it theatrically but the color timing is a little less saturated than the AB UK DVD was - but it doesn't look flat when you see it. It's really a big, big improvement. I've seen some say that the image is a bit milky, and I guess in a sense it is, but that last DVD had that same look to it.

I think it's just a weird looking movie.

I'll say this though, Mike, at $21, even if the transfer were a big steaming pile of shit (which it's not) you'd still come out ahead - the extras on this disc are worth the money alone.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hmmm...I seem to remember it looking vibrant, richly colourful and clean like you'd expect a film produced by Dario's brother, or the director of El Topo and The Holy Mountain to look. I can't remember it having that "milky" look about it. My memory might be playing tricks, but I saw it theatrically about half a dozen times (every time it came for the midnight shows after its initial run, I was there, as I loved it) and I'm kinda having my doubts...

I shall consider...seriously...in the near future... ;)

Comment

It seems as if the Topo and Mountain BDs have dialed down the color as well, although not to the extent of Sangre.

Comment

I was looking at the SANTA SANGRE Blu the other day, and the (lack of) black levels is a joke. Turning down the brightness helps, but could all media please be calibrated to the same motherfucking specifications in 2012? Also noticed artifacting up the rectum this time around--reduced brightness would probably make this less obvious as well.

Comment

This is screening in Brooklyn next week.

https://drafthouse.com/nyc/show/weir...y-santa-sangre
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Severin announced on Facebook that a new 4k restoration of Santa Sangre is underway

Comment

Just saw that this morning. Hopefully that means a proper UHD release? Would seem unlikely but we can hope.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm holding out for Santa Sangre Conquers The Martians!

Comment

Working...
                              X