VIY (1967)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIY (1967)

Has anyone else seen this batshit crazy Russian adaptation of the Gogol folk tale from 1967!!!! Its fantastically off its head. Its like a traditional fairytale but on acid!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNzAxMzk0MjQ0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzczNjYxMQ@@__V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	364052

Yes! It's lovely. Caught it theatrically just before its US DVD release. Picked up quite a few very enjoyable Russian fairy tale movies as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
      Yes! It's lovely. Caught it theatrically just before its US DVD release. Picked up quite a few very enjoyable Russian fairy tale movies as a result.
      Any recommendations?

Comment

Well, the problem is that the other ones aren't horror movies. If that doesn't frighten you off, I really enjoyed KINGDOM OF CROOKED MIRRORS and FATHER FROST. Actually, pretty much anything from this guy is good. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0745498/reference

Comment

VIY (1967)

I'd also recommend THE SNOW QUEEN and THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STACH.

Comment

I borrowed it from my old editor 10 years back. Quite liked it.

I would actually like to re-watch it, do any of you know which DVD one should go for? I guess all the transfers come from RuSciCo, and I seem to remember they had some problems with PAL-NTSC transfers in the early DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jens Thomsen View Post
              I borrowed it from my old editor 10 years back. Quite liked it.

I would actually like to re-watch it, do any of you know which DVD one should go for? I guess all the transfers come from RuSciCo, and I seem to remember they had some problems with PAL-NTSC transfers in the early DVDs.
              I ordered mine from amazon and when it arrived it was the German edition, but all the numerous language and subtitle options are intact. I think they are all the same edition.

Comment

Working...
              X