Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	EJ15-vHWsAAnEaV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	357060
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A few Santo films have been restored in 4k.

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/i...-garcia-besne/
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Oh man. Times like this I wish I was still in Chicago. You'd think Phoenix would be a natural fit for classic Mexican genre films but alas it's not so. Kudos to the Music Box!
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

And I'll have to miss going to the double-feature tonight, too! Boooooo.... :(

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EPdNLP0WkAAMUyw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	357434
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Great thread! :up:

There is a book out there about our favourite Silver masked wrestler, El Santo:

"Santo, the Wrestler with the Silver Mask: A guide to all his films"

https://www.amazon.com/Santo-Wrestle...dp/B086B9QXYW/

"Santo, the Silver Masked Man, is a celebrity in Mexico and in much of the Hispanic world. The popular classes quickly identified with him, and he became part of the Mexican cultural identity and ideosyncrasy, becoming, thanks to his extensive filmography, a true idol of the masses.

Rodolfo Guzmí¡n Huerta (1917-1984) soon stood out in the world of Mexican wrestling. He dominated classical Greco-Roman wrestling, jiu-jitsu and mixed martial arts among other combat disciplines. He wore a silver mask and became famous with the nickname "El Santo" ("The Saint"). His popularity among wrestling fans grew immensely, to the point that it was decided to exploit it in other fields: first in comic books and later also in movies.

The movies made the Saint even more popular than he was before, and his fame transcended Mexican borders, becoming a celebrity in much of the Hispanic world, the United States, Europe, and even reaching such distant and different countries as Lebanon and Turkey. There is no doubt that in his native Mexico, Santo is a sociological phenomenon like Chavo del Ocho or Cantinflas; a true idol and national symbol.

Most of these films are very entertaining, even today, despite having been conceived for the masses in Mexico at a particular time (especially in the 60s and 70s).

The purpose of the present book is to serve as a guide for each and every one of the films that have the Saint as their protagonist. It comments on the plot of each part of the saga, as well as details about the actors, directors and film crew involved.

Some of these reviews have already appeared, in Spanish, in the blog Alucine Cinéfago. Until now, some biographical or sociological books had been published about the figure and impact of the Silver Masked Man, but a guide to all his films was still missing."

(Book description)

Comment

The kindle is only a buck and a quarter. Hmmmm...
                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Banks View Post
                  The kindle is only a buck and a quarter. Hmmmm...
                  Yes, the price is very cheap :)

Comment

Actually I had something left on a gift card so it only cost me 37 cents. Will get around to reading it soon...I hope.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Comment

I'd never seen a Santo movie until recently. I picked one up on DVD for a few pounds a couple of weeks ago, so I've ordered Cinephagous' book as a guide for future viweing. Can't stand e-books so went for the paperback.
                        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

takes time and passion to get those books out! very cool you have so many, Cinephagous!

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                            Nice! A honest and fair review! :up:

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                              I'd never seen a Santo movie until recently. I picked one up on DVD for a few pounds a couple of weeks ago, so I've ordered Cinephagous' book as a guide for future viweing. Can't stand e-books so went for the paperback.
                              Great! I hope you enjoy it :)

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                                takes time and passion to get those books out! very cool you have so many, Cinephagous!
                                Thank you! :) Yes, it is a passion

Comment

Working...
                                X