Synapse Releasing Long Weekend On Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synapse Releasing Long Weekend On Blu-ray

This is pretty great news, I love this movie.

From Blu-ray.com:

"Independent distributors Synapse Films have revealed that they are preparing a Blu-ray release of Australian director Colin Eggleston's Long Weekend (1978), starring John Hargreaves, Briony Behets, and Mike McEwen. The release is expected to arrive on the U.S. market later this year.

Attempting to resurrect their failing marriage, Peter (Hargreaves) and Marcia (Behets) set out on a camping trip to a deserted stretch of Australian coastline in the hope that a long weekend in the sunshine will help them patch their differences.

They are a careless couple, littering the countryside with garbage, shooting guns and even driving away after wounding a kangaroo with their automobile. Their callous disregard for the environment soon becomes apparent when the animals start to seek vengeance.

Marcia and Peter have proved themselves to be destroyers of nature. Will the animals allow them to leave or will they be destroyed?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	363602
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

From FB:

"Today is "QC our HD transfer of LONG WEEKEND Day""

Name:	10414440_10153087493083572_4423279652524496085_n.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	346776
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"Took us a while. Wanted it out last year, but our original master tapes somehow got ruined, and the digital betacams we had were littered with noise. So, we basically had to just start over... So, I want this out in November or December. This is from the original negative and it has some issues I'd like to address, but it is MILES ahead of our original DVD. Miles."
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've wanted to see this ever since first learning about it in Not Quite Hollywood. Very welcome news.
        It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

It's a really beautifully shot film, it should look awesome in a proper HD presentation.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Don said on FB... "We had to redo it because our original masters became corrupted. It's coming. Maybe March."
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From FB:

"Here are some sample pics from the wonderful 1978 "animal attack" film, LONG WEEKEND. We released a DVD of this ten years ago, but we are currently working on restoring it for a soon to be announced Blu-ray. The Blu-ray was slated for a while ago, but we had to start all over again, when we discovered our original HD master data had corrupted over the decade (so much for data being a viable archival medium, right?). So, it was back to the drawing board and here are some pics of our in-progress restoration/release. We hope to announce a firm release date soon. The transfer is certainly much improved over the decade old SD encode."

Name:	01.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	347752

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	347753

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	347754

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	347755

Name:	05.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	347756

Name:	06.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	347757

Name:	07.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	347758

Name:	08.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	347759
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	09.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	347760

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	347761

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	347762

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	347763

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	347764

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	347765

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	347766
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Release date is set for 4/14/15.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rad. To me, this one looks and feels like a Peter Weir film, and I love it for that. It would fit in very nicely as the final part of my fake trilogy with The Last Wave and The Cars That Ate Paris. It happens, humans react, nature reacts. Though, the last two could easily change spots.

Comment

I wouldn't have made that comparison myself, but thinking about it a bit I can agree. I need to revisit Cars. I remember enjoying it but haven't seen it in years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forum Fiend v1.3.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some more info....

Coming to Blu-ray April 14, 2015 is the film that Quentin Tarantino says "Is in my Top 5 favorite Australian movies", Colin Eggelston's 70s classic, LONG WEEKEND!
                        Extra features include:

-High-Definition 1080p Transfer Supervised by Synapse Films
                        -Re-mastered DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Soundtrack (Original 2.0 Mono also Included)
                        -Audio Commentary from Producer Richard Brennan and Cinematographer Vincent Monton
                        -Motion Still Gallery Featuring an Audio Interview with Actor John Hargreaves
                        -Original Theatrical Trailer
                        -Reversible Cover Artwork

Retail is $24.95. We'll post pre-order links when they become available!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I stumbled across the remake of this the other day. Essentially its exactly the same film or seemed so to me as I've only seen the original a few times. I'd generally rate it behind Wake In Fright for Aussie horror but sometimes I call it the best because it's embarrasing that the greatest Aussie horror is directed by a Canadian.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Le Chat Qui Fume announced that this is coming to Blu-ray in early 2020 with exclusive extra features.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From the latest La Chat Qui Fume newsletter (via Google translate).

"LONG WEEK END of Colin Eggleston finally arrives in France in a DVD edition and BLURAY Collector. Collector because our edition will include exclusive bonuses that are not in the existing editions of the film ... not to mention the full version. You will discover this wonderful film in the best conditions and in the best edition of the market. Release 1st quarter of 2020!"

Name:	5f8ae744-5f1e-4813-b442-dc882a4f28b1.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	356725
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X